News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 13, 2017, 01:16:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is the bag part of the gift?  (Read 12302 times)

Chelsealady

Is the bag part of the gift?
« on: December 09, 2013, 01:54:22 PM »
Is the bag part of the gift?

B/G--I over do it at Christmas.   I have multiple nieces and nephews and I spoil them rotten.  I also like to wrap presents so everything they get it wrapped.  In years past I organize things with gifts bags.  So when we pass out presents I just give them their gift bag with the wrapped present inside of it.  Well this year I found some cloth Santa sacks that will do just nicely.  But I was wondering if I could ask for them back where I can use them next year.  They are not expensive but more expensive then the regular bag at the dollar store.  I plan to bring several regular gift bags for them to transport their goodies home.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Is the bag part of the gift?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 01:58:05 PM »
I think you're fine if you say *up front* that you'll be taking the gift bags back so that you can reuse them.

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »
If you're going to hold the Santa bag and distribute the gifts, or pass them out; if there are gifts for more than one person inside the bag, I think you could ask for it back or it would be understood that it belongs to you.

But if you're going to give someone a bag, and then ask for it back I see that as very awkward and confusing, though perhaps not rude.

I know that if someone gave me something like that, with only my gift inside, I'd be all "WooHoo! A bag!!" (I have a thing for totes...lol.) And my initial reaction would make it very awkward for whoever wanted the bag back. It would be confusing.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 02:01:42 PM »
Yeah, nothing wrong with saying, "Now, make sure you give those bags back to me so I can refill them for you next year!"

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 02:29:04 PM »
If you're going to hold the Santa bag and distribute the gifts, or pass them out; if there are gifts for more than one person inside the bag, I think you could ask for it back or it would be understood that it belongs to you.

But if you're going to give someone a bag, and then ask for it back I see that as very awkward and confusing, though perhaps not rude.

I know that if someone gave me something like that, with only my gift inside, I'd be all "WooHoo! A bag!!" (I have a thing for totes...lol.) And my initial reaction would make it very awkward for whoever wanted the bag back. It would be confusing.

I agree with this. I think it would be very awkward to be handed a gift bag, and then be told to promptly hand the bag back. I would wonder why you bothered to put the wrapped present in the bag in the first place.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »
Yeah, nothing wrong with saying, "Now, make sure you give those bags back to me so I can refill them for you next year!"

I'd do this.

But I'd also buy a few extra in case you don't get them all back.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »
Is the bag the gift wrapping or is it just a carier for a bunch of gifts for each that are individually wrapped?

If the wrapper, then I'd find it odd to ask for it back. It's like the aunt who asks for her bows back or taking a bottle of wine as a hostess gift but asking for the wine bag back. You migh offer the giver the items "Aunt this bow is beautiful and I'm afraid I'll crush it. Why don't you keep it to use again." or "We have several wine bags, would you like to keep this one to use again?"

But asking for any type of wrapper back seems unusual.

Betelnut

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 02:38:39 PM »
I would consider the bag part of the gift.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Lynn2000

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 02:56:54 PM »
Generally I consider the bag part of the gift. Therefore it would be a little weird to be given a gift, then have part of it taken back. I think it emphasizes the "show/presentation" aspect of the gift--"Yeah, I wanted you to be impressed with my packaging skills. Those bits aren't actually part of your gift, though, they're part of the 'scenery' and I need them back."

I don't know that all that actually makes it rude, though. Especially among family. I think it would start to get rude if you demanded the bags back, but if you were low-key and didn't throw a fit about it, I think it would be fine.
~Lynn2000

GreenBird

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 02:57:29 PM »
I would think the bag was part of the gift, and would be a little puzzled that you wanted it back.  Particularly since past gift bags have been part of the present.  Maybe you could bring the gifts in the bags to keep them organized, but then take the gifts out of the bags as you distribute them to the kids so you're not handing them the bags? 

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 03:13:01 PM »

This is exactly what I was going to say. Make it part of the tradition, you show up with the gifts in the reusable bags!

I do wonder, after they open their gifts, do they put the gifts back into their gift bags to make carry them home easier? Or is that not a concern? (thought of this while I was typing)

TootsNYC

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 03:19:29 PM »

Yeah, I'd expect the bag to go with the gift.

I -have- been known to say to someone, "Oh, I'd like to take that box back; it's a useful size" because I know that it's about to be tossed away.

But the bag, I'd expect to travel with the gift.
And if I were the recipient, I'd think it was weird and ungracious.
Not "rude" the way we usually use that term. But "bad form," which is one of the things governed by Etiquette.

Plus, I'd have been thinking I'd use the bag for Christmas next year.

I have cloth gift bags that are really handy for wrapping odd-sized presents in. I won't use them out of the house. My kids and I and DH can use them to wrap presents for one another, but I won't allow them to be used for gifts that are being given out of the family.

Why not just wrap the gifts and hand over the packages?
Or, skip the wrapping, except for tissue, and put the gift in the bag, and give the bag away.

TootsNYC

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 03:20:13 PM »
Oh--I did once deliberately give bags as part of the gift--I bought four matching nylon grocery totes and put the "no-wrapping-paper bridal-shower" bakeware in them.

Amara

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 03:20:41 PM »
This is timely! I am wrapping my gifts and with the regular ones (not the stocking stuffers) I am adding bows and ornaments and other goodies to the beautiful ribbons. So I do plan to re-use them and will ask for them back. I wouldn't view this as rude at all as long as you don't grab the bag out of their hands while saying "gimme!"

TootsNYC

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 03:22:45 PM »
This is timely! I am wrapping my gifts and with the regular ones (not the stocking stuffers) I am adding bows and ornaments and other goodies to the beautiful ribbons. So I do plan to re-use them and will ask for them back. I wouldn't view this as rude at all as long as you don't grab the bag out of their hands while saying "gimme!"

But I really think the ornament should be part of the gift! What if they want to take it home and hang it on their tree, or something? I'd be really offended if you wrapped up a present for me, and then told me you want the ornament back.
   If I'm going to toss the bow and ornament in the trash, yes, by all means, say, "oh, I'm going to salvage that!" Or say, "If you aren't going to take the ornament home, toss it over here!' -once it becomes sort of clear that they aren't going to do something with it.