News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 18, 2017, 01:15:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is the bag part of the gift?  (Read 12397 times)

GlitterIsMyDrug

Re: Is the bag part of the gift?
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2013, 11:29:03 AM »
So I know the OP has said she's just going to let them have the bags. But here was my thought process for why I'd be ok with asking for the bags back.

When I was younger my grandparents would bring my Christmas gifts over to me in a laundry basket. All the gifts were wrapped individually, the laundry basket was not part of my gift, it was simply the easiest way to transport gifts from Point A (their house) to Point B (our house).

I see the gift bags as the same as the laundry basket. Except as there are more kids it's easier to assign each kid a bag rather then just toss the gifts in a laundry basket and let them sort out who gets what. At the end the bags are regathered to be used again next year to transport the gifts from Point A to Point B.

Bookgirl

• Zo- Be Designs
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2013, 03:53:20 PM »
I don't think it's a huge deal, personally. But it can feel a bit discordant if there's one person who's always asking for things back, whereas everyone else is more relaxed. And I do think it can venture into rude/tacky territory if the person who wants things back becomes preoccupied with it, to the point of seeming stingy--kind of like, "Why did you even bother to give us gifts and visit us, if you're just going to spend your time hunting through the trash for discarded bows?" Not saying anyone here would do that, just imagining the extreme end.

My aunt is like that.  As she was handing you the gift, she would be saying that she wanted the box back.  It was always a kind of awkward moment and it did put a damper on the unwrapping of the gift because you didn't want to risk damaging the box in any way.  We don't exchange presents with her anymore so I don't know if she still does it but, knowing her, she most likely does.
I play with paper, scissors and glue and this is where I Facebook about it:
http://www.facebook.com/ZoBeDesigns

my cards and papergoods: www.ZoBeDesigns.etsy.com

sparksals

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2013, 07:26:59 PM »
So I know the OP has said she's just going to let them have the bags. But here was my thought process for why I'd be ok with asking for the bags back.

When I was younger my grandparents would bring my Christmas gifts over to me in a laundry basket. All the gifts were wrapped individually, the laundry basket was not part of my gift, it was simply the easiest way to transport gifts from Point A (their house) to Point B (our house).

I see the gift bags as the same as the laundry basket. Except as there are more kids it's easier to assign each kid a bag rather then just toss the gifts in a laundry basket and let them sort out who gets what. At the end the bags are regathered to be used again next year to transport the gifts from Point A to Point B.

In your case, the carrier of all the gifts would fall into that category.  If a gift, ITSELF, is housed in a gift bag, then it is part of the gift... in my mind.  If someone asked for the gift bag back in the latter case, I would comply, but I would also think the person is cheap b/c they don't ask for the torn wrapping paper back.

TootsNYC

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2013, 07:44:44 PM »

. . .  If someone asked for the gift bag back in the latter case, I would comply, but I would also think the person is cheap b/c they don't ask for the torn wrapping paper back.

Well, of course not, because it's not reusable.

Gift bags are very reusable; that's part of their appeal. And I see lots and lots of people reusing them.

That's not the problem, for me anyway.

My problem is that you -just- gave it to me, and it ruins the mood of the gift for you to ask for any part of it back, even the wrapping it was in or the ornament that was on it.
   Now, if I seem to be ignoring the gift bag or the ornament, by all means, ask if you can take it back for reuse.

sparksals

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2013, 08:47:06 PM »

. . .  If someone asked for the gift bag back in the latter case, I would comply, but I would also think the person is cheap b/c they don't ask for the torn wrapping paper back.

Well, of course not, because it's not reusable.

Gift bags are very reusable; that's part of their appeal. And I see lots and lots of people reusing them.

That's not the problem, for me anyway.

My problem is that you -just- gave it to me, and it ruins the mood of the gift for you to ask for any part of it back, even the wrapping it was in or the ornament that was on it.
   Now, if I seem to be ignoring the gift bag or the ornament, by all means, ask if you can take it back for reuse.

Yes, but the point I was trying to make is that even if the paper isn't reusable, people don't ask for the gift wrap back, so why the gift bag?  Because the wrap or bag is part of the gift and for whatever the recipient wants to do with it.  No one should ask for the gift bag back if it is housing the actual gift.  I recycle my gift bags I receive and I'm sure people recycle the gift bags I give them.  I wouldn't dream on asking for it back.

KenveeB

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2013, 08:52:10 PM »
I think it's fine to ask for bags, bows, or other wrapping doodads back, so long as it's done during the clean-up process as a "if you didn't want that, I'll re-use it" if they're throwing it away. We have bags that reappear every year among my family, and we always joke about where they're from. But it just feels ungracious to me to hand someone a gift and ask for part of it back at the same time.

kudeebee

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2013, 11:02:54 PM »
i agree with other posters who said to put the gifts in the bags for transportation and to help you keep organized.  Then when it is your turn to pass out the gifts, take the wrapped gifts out of the bags and hand them to the recipients, keeping the bag in your hands.  Then you can reuse them the next year. You could even say something like "Let's see what Santa AAA has in her bags for you this year." as you hand out the gifts.

i would guess most kids don't care about the gift bags or keeping them (I am sure there are some that do, just saying most don't).  I would hate to see those nice bags thrown away when you could reuse them the coming years and have the gifts easier to transport and looking prettier under the tree.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2013, 11:19:38 PM »
When my family opens gifts, they tend to put the stuff they're keeping in one pile and the discarded wrapping in another pile (I'm assuming this is normal).  At the end, I volunteer to pick up the "trash" and as I do, I separate out things I can reuse, like gift bags.  If something's in the discard pile, it's fair game; otherwise not.

Family knows I reuse, and it's a bit of a joke.  Sturdy gift bags can get reused many times, and if there's an attached tag, I simply cross out the previous name and put the new name.  Favorite bags may wind up with 5-6 names before they finally bite the dust. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

peaches

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2013, 11:39:04 PM »
I love to use fancy gift wrap, bows, ornaments, gift bags, and I consider them part of the gift. Please don't give them back. I don't have space to store all of that stuff.

sparksals

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2013, 09:14:37 AM »
I use a 31 tote to carry things.  In fact, just this weekend we went to an Xmas party.  I used my 31 bag to carry the gifts that were housed in gift bags.  I also had cute wine bottle holders that looknlike santa's pants holding two bottles of wine. The 31 bag is not part of the gift.  It is what I am using to carry everything.   The gift bags, Santa's pants are part of the gift.  It would make me look pretty bad handing the cute holder for wine to the hostess, then turning around to ask for Santa's pants back. 

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2013, 09:57:06 AM »
I think it would be odd to ask for the gift bags back, UNLESS it was clear that the bags were personalized to be used only from you to that person.  So, then it would seem natural for you to ask for them back to be reused next year. 
In my family, we have gift boxes and gift ornaments that are only used from a certain person to a certain person, so that tags aren't needed for those. 

Biker Granny

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »
I'm in the bag is party of the gift group.

HOWEVER....if during the clean-up you see them laying there, then they are fair game...I personally would ask just to be sure.

We are a "save the bag" family as they are used over and over again.  Every year a different person get's the "special" one....after 10 years it's held together with more tape than glue lol.

I laugh becuase I too used some burlap bags as wrapping this year.

Lynn2000

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2013, 11:32:29 AM »
My friend Amy makes chocolate-covered goodies at the holidays and gives them to people in tins. That tin is THEIR tin, with their name on the bottom. (Mine is blue with snowflakes.) The rule is that if you give the tin back (CLEAN!) before next Thanksgiving, she will refill it with chocolate goodies for you. She needs to have all the tins together so she can make sure she parcels out the goodies evenly, and all at one time. Also, the size of the tin is deliberately matched to the individual. (Bigger tin for a family of five, for example, smaller tin for a single person.) The tin is still part of the gift, but a part that's meant to be reusable. At one point I was assigned a new tin due to my original one having a loose lid, and I got to keep the original tin and she bought me a new one to be reused. Okay, it was now a tin with a loose lid, so not very useful to anyone, but it was still considered MINE, i.e., part of the gift.
~Lynn2000

IWish

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2013, 12:04:43 PM »
I'm in the "bag is part of the gift" camp. Had two occasions where I was given a gift basket and the giver took the wicker basket back. I did give them back of course, but it left me feeling a bit disconcerted.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2013, 12:28:29 PM »
Okay, it was now a tin with a loose lid, so not very useful to anyone, but it was still considered MINE, i.e., part of the gift.

I get around the loose lid by putting a piece of plastic film over the top of the can then putting the lid on.  Works great!

My nephews played highschool basketball.  When they were in a tournament close to where I lived, I'd drive to watch them and I usually made them some chocolate chip cookies to enjoy after the game(s).  I took them in tins and I always got them back eventually.  Nephews weren't stupid; they figured if I ran out of tins, they wouldn't get cookies any more!  This year, I'm using those tins to give away my Christmas cookies.  And I hope I don't get them back.   ;D  The boys are out of highschool and I'm trying to declutter.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario