Author Topic: Is the bag part of the gift?  (Read 5202 times)

Goosey

Re: Is the bag part of the gift?
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2013, 01:34:03 PM »
In my family, you keep bags, but you reuse them for gifts you are giving next year.

There's a Thor bag that's been making the rounds for quite a while. It's become part of the tradition to see who got the Thor bag this year  ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2013, 07:59:55 PM »
I save certain sizes of plastic buckets for my dad to pass out his chocolate peanut clusters, oatmeal cookies, and whole or shelled pecans (they have two trees in their yard & it depends on how much time he has whether or not they are shelled or if only some of them are shelled & the rest are whole).  Either way, they are from Grandpa & Grandma!

Reminds me - I might need to make some bags...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

CakeEater

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2013, 09:16:46 PM »
I think the OP is in the clear, because the gifts are individually wrapped in the transportation bag.

To me, asking for a gift box, or bag, or decorations back immediately upon giving the gift (rather than waiting until the recipient is obviously going to throw them away) says 'I want credit for giving beautifully presented gifts, but I'll take the presentation back so I can get the credit again next year at no extra expense.'

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2013, 10:01:10 PM »
I think the OP could get by with this as long as she starts out right up front with an explanation.  "I bought these special bags to help me keep everyone's gifts all together so that I could carry them more easily.  But I'll be needing the bags back after you all have opened your presents so that I can refill them for you again next year!" 

If they know up front that leaving the bags with you is for their future benefit, I don't think they'll be terribly disappointed. 

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2013, 09:49:56 AM »
My friend and I get together once a year for a gift swap.  Christmas, Hanukah, and her birthday, all fall very close together, so we call it Birnumus.   It's become a 'thing' to see how long we can keep swapping the same gift bags.  She found this bag once that is big enough to hold a small adult.  I can't afford to fill it, but she got it this year, with her presents in it.  lol

Oh, to answer the original question:  yes, I think the bag should be part of the gift.  However, the idea is to refill the bag and pass it on.  I like to do that.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »
If the bag is the wrapping, it's part of the gift.  If the gift is wrapped inside the bag, it may not be. 

Some years ago, a fabric designer provided small, drawstring silk bags in pretty solids and prints as gifts at a museum function. There were a lot left over and the bags found their way into the annual rummage sale. I snapped up a bunch and have been using them for gift bags over the years.  They always go over well.     

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2013, 12:17:54 PM »

. . .  If someone asked for the gift bag back in the latter case, I would comply, but I would also think the person is cheap b/c they don't ask for the torn wrapping paper back.

Well, of course not, because it's not reusable.

Gift bags are very reusable; that's part of their appeal. And I see lots and lots of people reusing them.

That's not the problem, for me anyway.

My problem is that you -just- gave it to me, and it ruins the mood of the gift for you to ask for any part of it back, even the wrapping it was in or the ornament that was on it.
   Now, if I seem to be ignoring the gift bag or the ornament, by all means, ask if you can take it back for reuse.

Yes, but the point I was trying to make is that even if the paper isn't reusable, people don't ask for the gift wrap back, so why the gift bag?  Because the wrap or bag is part of the gift and for whatever the recipient wants to do with it.  No one should ask for the gift bag back if it is housing the actual gift.  I recycle my gift bags I receive and I'm sure people recycle the gift bags I give them.  I wouldn't dream on asking for it back.

You know, I totally agree with you. We saved the wrapping paper when I was a kid--but we never asked other people to give it back to us.

magicdomino

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2013, 12:38:13 PM »

. . .  If someone asked for the gift bag back in the latter case, I would comply, but I would also think the person is cheap b/c they don't ask for the torn wrapping paper back.

Well, of course not, because it's not reusable.

Not according to my mother.    :)  She used to get annoyed at anyone who merely ripped the paper instead of carefully working the tape loose.  Then the paper would be flattened and stored.  A year or two later, a package would appear with strangely familiar paper.  Damaged edges were trimmed off, so the paper from a big box might be used several years in a row on smaller and smaller boxes. 

I like gift bags, myself.   ;)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2013, 01:20:30 PM »
For me, the bag is not only part of the gift, it's probably the best part.  One of my hobbies these last 2 years is making bags for gifts.  I paint them, decoupage them, add decorations & paper flowers, wrap the handles in ribbon, and shellac them.   My family really only wants gift cards, and food, so the bag is where I get to express my feelings.

I also make my one gift tags, and will throw in one or two blank tags into the bottom of the bag so that the recipient can forward it on to someone else (after all the painting and shellacking, they are pretty sturdy).
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy