Author Topic: Roses Aren't Blue...  (Read 3953 times)

CrochetFanatic

Roses Aren't Blue...
« on: December 09, 2013, 06:02:17 PM »
I did a few cross stitch bookmarks during the past couple weeks.  They came with a 'shades of pink' rose pattern, and I made one according to the pattern directions for someone's Christmas present, one in shades of purple for my mother at her request, and one for myself in shades of blue.  Because...well, I just like blue!

Today, I went to the book store after some Christmas shopping, bought a book that seemed interesting, and I sat down in one of the chairs to relax a bit before heading home.  I had my new bookmark with me, eager to put it to use, and it was sitting in the open book as I started to read.  After a while, a voice behind and above me caused me to jump.  "Um, roses aren't blue.  Whoever did that made a mistake."

:o :o ::)  "Okay..." I figured it was time to go home anyway, so I got up and left.  Never mind that white roses have been dyed blue, so while they aren't natural, they do exist in some form.  I just like the color blue!  Let me read in peace!  ;D

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: Roses Aren't Blue...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 08:07:49 PM »

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »
There ARE blue roses. I saw a display of them at the commercial greenhouse down the road from us. They are a really strange color of blue but they ARE blue.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 08:41:42 PM »
I once had a dress with blue roses on it!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jones

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 08:46:56 PM »
That's just weird.

I have a huge tattoo of a blue rose between my shoulder blades; I got it to commemorate the son I lost in utero. A blue rose symbolizes the unattainable dream. If anyone tried to tell me blue roses don't exist, I'd have a good laugh in their face. Neither do unicorns, but they are still central in symbols and well-used on all sorts of crafts or art projects.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 09:26:46 PM »
and there are tons and tons of sheets, sofas, decorative pillows, and curtains with them too...  ;)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:34:54 PM »
I've seen the "natural" blue roses.

I think they're pretty.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 10:01:05 PM »
I loved the look of them.  I ran across them while wedding planning.  They said that they shouldn't be photographed because they turn into black holes in the photos. 

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 02:49:43 AM »
I thought it was weird, too!  And, silly as it is, having made the bookmark, I was a bit insulted.  ;D

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 08:27:30 AM »
Now I'm thinking of the Blue Rose of Illium-http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Illium:_Blue_Rose_of_Illium. One of the best stories in all of Mass Effect, IMHO>
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 09:21:33 AM »
I've always associated them with a character from Tennessee Williams' play "The Glass Menagerie".  Laura had pleurosis and there's a young man who misunderstands her when she speaks of her pleurosis and calls her Blue Roses instead. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 09:25:15 AM »
Um, blue roses grew in the back yard of my former home. Blue roses may be a bit unusual, but they certainly exist.

But that's beside the point. Who was that woman to approach you, a total stranger, to make such a comment?

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 10:38:04 AM »
Well if she doesn't like that, she'd really have a fit over my Leaky Cauldron project I just finished!

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 10:42:29 AM »
I've always associated them with a character from Tennessee Williams' play "The Glass Menagerie".  Laura had pleurosis and there's a young man who misunderstands her when she speaks of her pleurosis and calls her Blue Roses instead.

That's exactly what I remembered too. I think it was a great use of symbolism to show the difference between the mother and the daughter. The daughter is associated with blue roses which are a bit atypical, and the mother is associated with Blue Mountain which evokes strength or maybe an overpowering personality. Sorry for the thread jack... I just love that you thought of that too, Piratelvr!

Allyson

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 11:27:54 PM »
I wonder if she also goes up to people with images of dragons, vampires, or Santa Claus and informs people their items are inaccurate. Roses aren't usually two dimensional either...