Author Topic: An unexpected gift... because it's expected by somebody else!  (Read 4544 times)

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
Re: An unexpected gift... because it's expected by somebody else!
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 03:08:02 PM »
  ITs perfectly logical that he has one for Mommy too but if everyone were logical in all things no one would every have hurt feelings.  What he has for mom may be very special but not the painting.  So I'd give him a head up. I can't see much of down side other then him finding out Mom saw his surprise and lets be honest , he hid it in magazines Thomas is not a great hider. 

BeagleMommy

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 03:21:57 PM »
POD to those who've suggested calling Thomas just to be sure he's aware that his wife is expecting what he gave to the OP.

Mikayla

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 03:25:28 PM »
You are close enough to these folks to be the child's godmother, right? So I'd just call Thomas and tell him the whole story. Angela and you accidentally stumbled upon the handprint and you both assumed it was for Angela. Now that it turns out it was for you, you want to make sure Thomas at least knows what happened so he can decide what is the best course of action at this point. The two of you can put your heads together and decide if you should return the envelope so he can give it to Angela and pretend that was the plan all along or if Angela would be a-ok with the fact that it was indeed for you or whatever.

This.

Also, he needs to be told what happened simply because of the possibility he wasn't hiding it, but rather he misplaced it. 

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 03:46:37 PM »
If it was just a present for the child's godmother, why would he hide it from his wife (both the making and the giving)? There would be no reason at all, which is evidence that there is a similar gift in store for her.

I agree!

It's a sweet gift, but the hiding it thing takes on a slightly creepy element unless there is a good reason eg he doesn't want to ruin wife's surprise.   It doesn't sound as though he's that kind of guy so I'm sure it's ok.   But I would raise the topic casually with him to see.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 03:59:46 PM »
Perhaps you can call up and say "Thank you so much.  I love the handprint.  I know your wife would love one too.  Did you make one for her?"  If yes, he wouldn't know his surprise was ruined since you're playing clueless.  If not, tell him what happened.

IslandMama

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 04:46:19 PM »
I'd be ringing Thomas quietly, too.  I'd say that I was about to gush about it on Facebook (or to Angela, whatever works best) and thought that you might ruin a surprise she's going to get, too.  Tell him that if she's getting a gorgeous "first artwork" then you'll sit on your excitement until after Christmas so the joy of the surprise is not ruined.

If for some reason he hasn't done something (and if he was cagey about the paint under the baby's nails then I'd be surprised if there wasn't something special hidden away!) then he has time to get it sorted and make it amazing. 

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 08:32:42 PM »
I'd be ringing Thomas quietly, too.  I'd say that I was about to gush about it on Facebook (or to Angela, whatever works best) and thought that you might ruin a surprise she's going to get, too.  Tell him that if she's getting a gorgeous "first artwork" then you'll sit on your excitement until after Christmas so the joy of the surprise is not ruined.

If for some reason he hasn't done something (and if he was cagey about the paint under the baby's nails then I'd be surprised if there wasn't something special hidden away!) then he has time to get it sorted and make it amazing.

I agree with all the other posters who recommend calling Thomas - because if he wasn't making mom a handprint, he should get it going quickly, there is only a week to Christmas.

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 08:49:25 PM »
My question is ... Why was the gift to you given on behalf of Milo by Thomas, without the knowledge of his wife?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 09:01:31 PM »
My question is ... Why was the gift to you given on behalf of Milo by Thomas, without the knowledge of his wife?

That's exactly why I think he has a bunch of them for people close to Milo.  Maybe Thomas figured he wouldn't see the OP again before Christmas and wanted to make sure she got Milo's gift but didn't want his wife to see it because she'll be getting one, too, on Christmas day.  There might be prints for grandparents and other close people to their family, as well.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 09:56:41 PM »

That's exactly why I think he has a bunch of them for people close to Milo.  Maybe Thomas figured he wouldn't see the OP again before Christmas and wanted to make sure she got Milo's gift but didn't want his wife to see it because she'll be getting one, too, on Christmas day.  There might be prints for grandparents and other close people to their family, as well.

Yep, I agree too. It would be very weird of Thomas to sneakily give the OP such a sentimental gift, unless he planned to give smilar gifts to everyone close to the baby.

I vote for saying nothing until after Christmas.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 09:41:19 AM »
You are close enough to these folks to be the child's godmother, right? So I'd just call Thomas and tell him the whole story. Angela and you accidentally stumbled upon the handprint and you both assumed it was for Angela. Now that it turns out it was for you, you want to make sure Thomas at least knows what happened so he can decide what is the best course of action at this point. The two of you can put your heads together and decide if you should return the envelope so he can give it to Angela and pretend that was the plan all along or if Angela would be a-ok with the fact that it was indeed for you or whatever.

This. I'd want to know, in his shoes. Accidentally disappointing my spouse would be something I'd want to avoid.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

earthgirl

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 10:01:35 AM »
Perhaps you can call up and say "Thank you so much.  I love the handprint.  I know your wife would love one too.  Did you make one for her?"  If yes, he wouldn't know his surprise was ruined since you're playing clueless.  If not, tell him what happened.
POD, this is what I'd do.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »
This. I'd want to know, in his shoes. Accidentally disappointing my spouse would be something I'd want to avoid.

POD. It would be horrible if their Christmas was spoiled because of this.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."