Author Topic: s/o Line saving - Santa Lines  (Read 3834 times)

GlitterIsMyDrug

Re: s/o Line saving - Santa Lines
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 05:20:42 PM »
I think as long as the people in line matches the amount getting to see Santa it is fine, but if one adult holds the spot for two kids, I find that rude.

I think that can get a little too..strict (still not quiet the right word). If grownup 1 and 2 arrive at the mall with Kid 1 and 2 and Kid 1 annouces she's has to potty and then Kid 2 annouces she has to potty, I think it's perfectly acceptable for grownup 1 to take both kids to the potty while grownup 2 waits in line. I'd rather not have potty accidents. Or if both kids need to burn off a bit of energy, one at a time might not work.

Now 1 adult for 10 kids is another matter. But if you have two grownups with 10 kids between them, well taking each one out of line indivdually might not be the best plan either. But small groups would be.

I will say I think everyone should arrive in line at once. Meaning, one grown up does not get to go ahead to save a spot for any number of kids. Everyone starts in line together and as needs for bathroom, snacks, energy burning arise, adults remove children from the line as needed.

Also one adult must stay in line at all times! No having kids hold the place for the adults. That's just asking for trouble.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2013, 07:58:11 PM »
In terms of an adult holding the line for multiple kids... would it make a difference if the kids were all going at once?  For example, if it wasn't something where the kid tells Santa their wish list, just something where kids stand around Santa to get a picture (like they do with the Easter Bunny)?  To me, the issue would be how many turns were required, not necessarily how many kids.  So one adult holding a place for 4 kids, if the parents only intended to have the kids gather around Santa, get a picture snapped, and then be done, I probably wouldn't have a problem with.  But if each kid had to take a separate turn to sit on his lap and tell their wish list, then that would be more of the "bait and switch" mentioned beforehand.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 09:00:12 PM »
My opinion seem to go counter to most of the board, but if your child can't wait in line long enough to go see Santa, then you should come back at a less busy time or skip Santa that year. It hardly seems fair for the family who's been waiting patiently to suddenly have 2, 4 or 6 kids swoop in in front of them.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 10:34:53 PM »
My opinion seem to go counter to most of the board, but if your child can't wait in line long enough to go see Santa, then you should come back at a less busy time or skip Santa that year. It hardly seems fair for the family who's been waiting patiently to suddenly have 2, 4 or 6 kids swoop in in front of them.

Actually, I think that what you're saying doesn't run counter to most of the board at all.  The consensus definitely seems to be that it's okay to hold for one child, but definitely not for a lot of kids.  And I do agree that it would be unfair to be waiting and then suddenly have 6 kids join the parent in front of you.

We've opted not to see a mall santa this year at all, actually.  We went to a "breakfast with santa" thing on the weekend and were pleasantly surprised to find that they'd hired a professional photographer to do photos with Santa.  This was a MUCH better set up than the mall Santa deal.  Little Knit was thrilled beyond measure.

Santa was able to take his time with the kids, as there were so few of them.  Plus, there was no waiting in line, as you were given a number when you paid and could go do whatever until it was your turn.  Since it was a room full of mostly 2-3 year olds, this worked out really well.  Little Knit adored him, and we got some amazing photographs.  Much better than I think we would have gotten at the mall, as she was allowed to really warm up to him.  Less of an assembly line and more personal.  And cheaper.  ;)

fountainof

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 12:00:07 PM »
To me, the issue would be how many turns were required, not necessarily how many kids.

Yes, that is a good point.  I do think turns matters and I would find it fine for people to go in and out of the line for breaks but probably find it off-putting if an adult came hours ahead and held the spot while the kids were at home or something else.  I would probably not say anything when the kids showed up but if the adult hit the front before the kids came I would speak up and say they need to go back to the end of the line and start over rather than get to wait at the front until the kids came.  You lose your spot if you aren't ready when you reach the front of the line.

m2kbug

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »
I think coming back at a less busy time is a little bit unreasonable as far as the Santa line.  If you have time off on a weekday or are a SAHM(D), weekdays are wonderful, especially early in the season, but if you're trying to work around work and going as a family, you're likely stuck with evenings and weekends, and as the season trudges on, a Santa without a line is not possible, even on weekdays.  Most families, you can guess 2-3-4 kids.  I would be upset if I suddenly found myself behind a gaggle of 10 or if Ms. B's entire kindergarten class made an appearance, but I haven't run into any situations where the number of invisible children is that off the grid.  They typically have all the kids get a picture as a group and quickly go over the list, and some are too young or too old.  I have never found it to be a completely unreasonable amount of time and a majority of the time, in my experience, the kids spent a reasonable amount of time in line, some in/out depending on age and parents didn't really stray that far. 

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 12:24:19 PM »
*This woman was rude for other reasons, which were not limited to loudly griping about the fact that Santa didn't show up early and LOUDLY stating (to me) that there ought to be two Santa's in the mall.  I looked at her funny and replied that I was "sure Santa probably wanted to eat first, since he was going to be here through the lunch hour.  And anyway, two Santa's? *tsk* There's only one Santa!"

OT, but I'd love to know exactly how she was going to explain (or expected you to explain) to your kids why there are two Santas!