Author Topic: Casserole good enough for company?  (Read 1477 times)

Firecat

Re: Casserole good enough for company?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 01:56:03 PM »
Baked apples are easy, gluten free, and delicious. You can serve them with ice cream if you want to, as well. There are tons of recipes out there, including some for the crockpot.

But the basic idea is that you take whatever number of apples you need (I use "cooking" apples like Cortland or MacIntosh).

Wash and core the apples (leaving the apple whole other than the removal of the core). Put the apples in a baking dish. Fill the cavity left by the core by lightly packing it with brown sugar on each apple. Add a small pat of butter to the top of each apple. Sprinkle with cinnamon and maybe some nutmeg. Add water to the dish until it's not quite half an inch deep. Bake until the apples are soft (350 degrees seems to work fine, 30-40 minutes). Let cool slightly and serve with cream, whipped cream, ice cream, whatever.

The nice thing is, you can prep the apples while the casserole is baking, and put the apples into the oven when the casserole comes out. Easy, delicious, and gluten free (as long as your spices are, anyway).

I've done this, but I've added whole rolled oats to the brown sugar. It's delicious!

There are lots of variations you can do, depending on your needs and preferences. For example, you can add raisins or dried cranberries, chopped walnuts (pecans would probably be good, too!), dried cherries might work, too. I like mine fairly basic, but there are lots of ways to make them a little fancier or different if you want to.