Author Topic: Family recipes you miss  (Read 3159 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Family recipes you miss
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 10:38:46 AM »
My mom's rolls. I've tried 20 different recipes and styles and can't come up with the taste and texture. We were once traveling through a small town and stopped for lunch and they brought out rolls that were as close to hers as any I'd encountered. I begged for the recipe but the meanie of a cook wouldn't budge.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »
For those of you trying to replicate old pie, cookie, or biscuit recipes and them not turning out the same, you are probably missing a vital ingredient---LARD.  Many of the older generations used lard in baked goods and I don't care what you try and substitute it with, it does not come out the same.

Yup.  I still make my pastry with lard.  Science is now saying that lard, while still not healthy, is better than shortening (or Crisco) because the shortening has transfats and the lard doesn't.  I've gone back to baking with butter, too, because the transfat free margarines just don't work as well, especially for greasing pans.  I've had so many things stick until I realized I needed to grease the pans with shortening or butter.

A friend uses cooking spray for greasing his bread pans - I'm going to try it this weekend because it is less messy and time consuming than greasing with shortening or butter.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 11:48:07 AM »
Seconding the LARD suggestion. 

Damon Lee Fowler's New Southern Cooking and New Southern Baking have some great recipes in them.

Let's see.  I came along too late for any of my grandmother's cooking, but my late sister-in-law made the most wonderful yeast rolls.

cwm

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 11:55:17 AM »
My great grandma's rolls. They tasted so yeasty and wonderful. Also her chicken soup. She made the egg noodles by hand and nothing comes close. Come to think of it, her chicken and dumplings too. Great grandma was a wonderful cook, and I'm always sad that I can barely remember her, just the wonderful food.

My greaut aunt's chocolate chip cookies. Now, Aunt Mary isn't gone yet, but because of things with my dad, I don't actually see that side of the family any more. And Aunt Mary is well into her 90s and only bakes them up for the giant family reunion. I went to her house one day when I was down in her hometown for college, and she literally just follows the recipe from the chocolate chip bag. Doesn't add the salt, mixes with a wooden spoon in a ceramic bowl and bakes just like the recipe calls for, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the difference is and why nobody's taste as good.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 12:28:37 PM »
My great grandma's rolls. They tasted so yeasty and wonderful. Also her chicken soup. She made the egg noodles by hand and nothing comes close. Come to think of it, her chicken and dumplings too. Great grandma was a wonderful cook, and I'm always sad that I can barely remember her, just the wonderful food.

My greaut aunt's chocolate chip cookies. Now, Aunt Mary isn't gone yet, but because of things with my dad, I don't actually see that side of the family any more. And Aunt Mary is well into her 90s and only bakes them up for the giant family reunion. I went to her house one day when I was down in her hometown for college, and she literally just follows the recipe from the chocolate chip bag. Doesn't add the salt, mixes with a wooden spoon in a ceramic bowl and bakes just like the recipe calls for, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the difference is and why nobody's taste as good.

perhaps, besides not using the salt she also uses unsalted butter?

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 12:31:50 PM »
Or it could just be her oven bakes them at precisely the right temp to have them turn out the way you like them.  Stoves can be notoriously finicky like that. 

The ancient oven in my old apartment was like that.  Meringues pies were genius in it.  Same recipe, different oven, not nearly as good.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 12:40:11 PM »

perhaps, besides not using the salt she also uses unsalted butter?

Or check the brand of flour. Even if just All Purpose flour, the brand she uses might be lower in protein than the ones she is buying. Traditionally in the south, the flours are made with a "softer" wheat which has a lower protein content. Or she could be using a bleached or unbleached flour.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 01:05:41 PM »
My late MIL's meatloaf. It was very different from the recipe I use and am fond of, but it was really good. There's a chance it could be nestled in one of her old recipe boxes somewhere, jotted down on a random piece of note paper or the back side of a soup label, but if it is, we haven't stumbled across it yet.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 01:18:15 PM »

In addition to the previous posts about oven temp and butter, you could try using a different sized egg.

Mikayla

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 01:23:02 PM »
My Grandma's thimble biscuits!  They were so cute.  She used a thimble to cut them and obviously didn't bake very long.  Then she started making ginger cookies this way, and even a form of cupcake.

We've tried making these things for the toddlers/young kids in our family, but they just don't think it's as cool as we did.

djinnidjream

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 01:28:07 PM »
My grandma made a chocolate cake with a white cream filling in it- it's my dad's favorite.  I have no idea how to make the cream.  She also used to make Pizzelles- I have her pizzelle iron but am afraid to use it.
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

spookycatlady

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 01:49:22 PM »
Gramma's peach jam.  She and my grampa would drive across the country to visit us twice a year and she would bring four jars of peach jam each time.  She passed away 10 years ago this week and I've been thinking about that jam a lot.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 05:33:51 PM »
My grandma's sausage gravy and biscuits.  I can make the biscuits just fine, but the sausage gravy just won't come out the same. 

heartmug

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 05:47:03 PM »
Grandmother's apple strudel. So good!
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 07:45:26 PM »
My late mom used to make chicken and rice that was amazing and I haven't been successful in recreating. I have come close but not exactly the same. I remember it was very simple - uncooked rice in the pan, two or three whole chicken on top, sprinkled with paprika and garlic (and other spices? ) Roasted for a long time. What I don't remember is if there was water, how much, and whether it wass covered.

My grandma used to make yeast cakes - she called them ' babka', they were high, bread like cake with chocolate filling and buttery crumb topping. I actually gave the recipe for them but haven't made them

This is a link to several old popular cookbookshttp://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/cookbooks/ we had the Settlement Cookbook, that's how I taught myself to cook

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools