Author Topic: New Baby Announcement Response?  (Read 3386 times)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
New Baby Announcement Response?
« on: December 11, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »
Is there anything that is required when you receive a new baby announcement? Gift, an acknowledgement of some kind?  Background info: from my brother in law, and we have already "met" the baby.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: New Baby Announcement Response?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »
Not if you've already given "happy baby!" greetings.
Announcements never require a gift--that's why they're called "announcements" and not "invitations."

But you are required to do one thing:

Open up your address book, and carefully enter the correct spelling of the baby's first and middle names, as well as the proper birth date.

Bingo--you're done!

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 08:26:21 PM »
A gift is never required, for any sort of announcement.

If the announcement is from a friend or relative you're at all in touch with, a note of some sort--card, letter, email--congratulating the new parent and maybe asking about coming to meet the baby is nice. (I wouldn't pick up the phone, for risk of waking the parents.)

A card like that is never inappropriate: even if you're looking at the announcement and thinking "Mary Smith....do I know a Mary Smith?" they're not likely to be upset at a simple "Congratulations." But if you can't figure out who the person is, it's probably safe to ignore the announcement, unless you have a relative or friend who is good at keeping track of these things and can ask them, in case it's "Oh, you might not remember, your cousin Melisande got tired of nobody being able to spell her name, so she changed it." (I was startled the first time someone referred to my cousin "Sarah," who had been "Sharon" all the time I was growing up.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 03:59:58 AM »
Announcements never require a gift--that's why they're called "announcements" and not "invitations."

Open up your address book, and carefully enter the correct spelling of the baby's first and middle names, as well as the proper birth date.

Bingo--you're done!

Ha! LOL. I do the same thing.

If you've already met the baby, there's nothing more to do.  :)

peaches

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 06:04:04 AM »
I love birth announcements, because they give you the full name, birthdate, weight, etc.

A birth announcement doesn't require a gift. It's customary and nice to respond in some way - with a card, gift, congratulatory email or whatever.

But you've already met the baby and congratulated the parents. 

As an aside, I do at least send a card for every new baby, even if the parents live close by. Those cards are fun for parents to keep. If we're close to the parents (family or good friends) I send or take a gift, unless I already gave one at a shower for that baby.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 06:13:30 AM by peaches »

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 09:21:42 AM »

Bingo--you're done!

Ha! LOL. I do the same thing.

If you've already met the baby, there's nothing more to do.  :)
I don't have an address book but I do have a box of these cards and wedding invites so I can keep track of names and bdays. Nothing worse than going to a family event and driving their and having the discussion of "what's Anna's DH names?"

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 06:35:04 PM »
OK - just didn't want to do the wrong thing. Good enough.

"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver