Author Topic: Your holiday hill to die on.  (Read 258115 times)

Shalamar

Re: Your holiday hill to die on.
« Reply #1365 on: November 19, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
Yeah, it took me a few years because it was very important to my husband that we spend Christmas with family, and since my parents live in a different province, he wanted to spend it with his.   We finally realized that his mother and one of his sisters didn't seem to care if we were there or not.  Well, that's not quite true - MIL would whine if we weren't coming, but if we did come, once we were there, she didn't seem very happy to see us.

Another hill for me - no more homemade Clodhoppers from me after MIL said "Ugh, take those away.  We've got too much sweet stuff as it is."  (I still made them, but she didn't get any!)

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1366 on: Yesterday at 06:30:03 AM »
^I just looked up Clodhoppers. At least your MIL knows how to punish herself as well as she does everyone else. ;)
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Snooks

« Reply #1367 on: Yesterday at 08:08:25 AM »
Yeah, it took me a few years because it was very important to my husband that we spend Christmas with family, and since my parents live in a different province, he wanted to spend it with his.   We finally realized that his mother and one of his sisters didn't seem to care if we were there or not.  Well, that's not quite true - MIL would whine if we weren't coming, but if we did come, once we were there, she didn't seem very happy to see us.

We must share in laws. One of my hills was similar when DH and I had flown to visit his family and found ourselves sitting alone in his aunt's living room as everyone else wandered off to do their own thing. I pointed out to DH that his family truly didn't care if we were there or not so why bother? Thankfully he agreed.

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #1368 on: Yesterday at 11:35:35 AM »
My hill will be this Christmas.  I am going to let it be known early on that BIL is not invited to Christmas dinner at my house.  There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth and guilt tripping by the IL's but DH and I will not cave.

It very well may end up that IL's don't attend either.  That would certainly make for a quiet, drama free Christmas.  :)

Snooks

« Reply #1369 on: Yesterday at 12:28:05 PM »
Good luck!

Minmom3

« Reply #1370 on: Yesterday at 04:05:11 PM »
Quiet and drama free has been a goal of mine for decades.  The source of the drama was my mother until I was in my 30's.  After a few years of lovely calm, DH has decided to be the source.  Sigh.  We're working on ways of coping that help him settle down, but they aren't 100%.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....