Author Topic: Thanksgiving potluck guidelines  (Read 1391 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Thanksgiving potluck guidelines
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 05:25:33 PM »
I have transported hot food in a cooler. I ran hot, hot water into it from the tub first to heat it up (then drained, of course, and immediately shut the lid to keep it from cooling too rapidly before the dish went in).

I laid towels to keep the ceramic dish from touching the plastic of the cooler.

One downside: It was a long drive--1.5 to 2 hours. And the dish kept cooking. it was pretty mushy by the time we got there. I could honestly have counted that 1.5 hours as probably 45 minutes of cooking time.

That's great information to keep in mind for this. 

greencat

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 05:32:09 PM »
I have transported hot food in a cooler. I ran hot, hot water into it from the tub first to heat it up (then drained, of course, and immediately shut the lid to keep it from cooling too rapidly before the dish went in).

I laid towels to keep the ceramic dish from touching the plastic of the cooler.

One downside: It was a long drive--1.5 to 2 hours. And the dish kept cooking. it was pretty mushy by the time we got there. I could honestly have counted that 1.5 hours as probably 45 minutes of cooking time.

That's great information to keep in mind for this.

I've done it before as well, although I was only going from my house to a nearby park, so I just sanitized the inside of the cooler, dropped a towel down to protect the plastic lining, and then took my foil-covered casserole dish full of chicken pot pie and dropped it in, then put another towel over it.  I was able to use the towels as pot holders to get the thing out of the cooler.  Half an hour in the cooler and the dish was still fresh-out-of-the-oven hot.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 05:44:05 PM »
We've started cooking our turkey in an electric roaster so the oven is free for various other stuff. The turkey cooks faster and stays really juicy,  too. It might be an option to consider if some people need the oven.