Author Topic: Lent Etiquette  (Read 20298 times)

MissRose

Re: Lent Etiquette
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2014, 09:27:01 AM »
Good stuff in here, as Lent begins tomorrow....

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2014, 09:54:33 AM »
I am giving up crisps.  Eating far too many of them!!!  :(
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

White Lotus

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2014, 04:16:25 PM »
I recall hearing from a friend that Catholic babies are generally baptized on birth "just in case" with a formal christening held later.  That may no longer be true, but it seemed a nice idea, since it is required.

katycoo

« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2014, 06:28:49 PM »
The RCC does not allow weddings during Holy Week (Palm Sunday - Easter).  I am sure special dispensations can be applied for, though.

I was married during Lent.  The Church did not allow us to bring flowers into the church (aside from bouquets), but everything else was fine.

I was also married during Lent.  We were allowed flowers, but the Church did not want to keep them after the ceremony.  My home church had no such qualms and we sent them there.

Phoebe

« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2014, 08:04:42 PM »
I recall hearing from a friend that Catholic babies are generally baptized on birth "just in case" with a formal christening held later.  That may no longer be true, but it seemed a nice idea, since it is required.

Never true.  The Catholic Church teaches one Christian baptism per person.  Even if a non-Catholic, baptized Christian converts to Catholicism, the non-Catholic Christian baptism is recognized as valid and another one is not allowed.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2014, 08:51:35 PM »
However I do remember learning in confirmation classes when joining the Episcopal church (raised Catholic) that if someone is unsure as to whether or not they were baptized, for example, if someone's adopted, the church will baptize them and say it's just in case there was a previous baptism. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2014, 08:58:09 PM »

The Catholic hospital where I had my babies offered "emergency baptisms" in case the baby had a serious health issue at birth and might not be expected to make it long enough for an official baptism.  They did not just baptize every baby, though.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2014, 07:39:42 AM »
However I do remember learning in confirmation classes when joining the Episcopal church (raised Catholic) that if someone is unsure as to whether or not they were baptized, for example, if someone's adopted, the church will baptize them and say it's just in case there was a previous baptism.

That's called "conditional baptism." The priest says something like, "If you are not yet baptized, I baptize you  . . . . "

My nephew was baptized in the hospital about an hour after he was born, because he was in serious difficulties. When he was about nine months old, the priest did what he called "finishing" the baptism in the church--a Catholic baptism ceremony involves not just the pouring of the holy water over the baby's head, but anointing with special oil, clothing in a white garment and the presentation of a candle, and the godparents make certain promises.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

o_gal

« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2014, 08:56:51 AM »
Getting back to the Lent etiquette  ;D

While I'm sure that no good e-Hellions will do this, please don't insist that someone who does not practice the same Lenten practices as you do follow your rules. I've had 2 friends, both Catholic, who tried to prevent other people from doing what they had sworn not to do during Lent. In the first case, it was a friend in undergrad school who had never heard of anyone not giving up meat on Fridays. When our group of friends went down to the bar we usually hung out at on Friday nights, I ordered a burger to eat and so did one other person. She tried to cancel our order. She was unsuccessful. The other was someone in the singles group where DH and I met. She had given up sweets for Lent and insisted that the scheduled stop at Graeter's ice cream after our event had to be abandoned. Since we all car-pooled and she wasn't a driver, her efforts were also not successful  ;D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2014, 09:04:18 AM »
Wow!  Cancelling the burger order? 

If I knew someone did give up meat on Friday and ordered a burger...well I might not even say anything then, honestly.  I had thought of possibly reminding them it is a Lenten Friday as sometimes I forget about that.  But if it's something frequently done on Fridays I'd just shrug.

Actually...speaking of which, I pulled out ground beef to cook tonight and just remembered that meat is also to be avoided on Ash Wednesday. Oops! Okay, need to think of something else for dinner! LOL!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

o_gal

« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2014, 11:04:35 AM »
Wow!  Cancelling the burger order? 

After I gave my order, she looked at me like I had just sprouted 2 new heads. After the second order, she actually said something like "Stop! You can't order that - please cancel their orders, they don't realize it's Lent and they can't have meat". Then my friend said something like "Hey, I want a burger, I'm going to have a burger, I'm not Catholic" and I agreed and said I'm not Catholic either. She then tried to argue that the don't-eat-meat-on-Friday-during-Lent rule applied to all Christians, not just Catholics. She was then given a gentle lesson in denominational differences and the fact that a Lutheran (my friend) and a Presbyterian (me) do not have to abide by what the Roman Catholic Pope decrees  ::) She honestly had no idea that it wasn't a practice that was required of all Christians.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2014, 11:12:43 AM »
One thing I've found since joining the Episcopal church is that people do things all sorts of different ways, depending on the traditions they grew up with and the idea is nothing's really wrong so long as it's done for the right reasons.  Come to a service and you'll see some folks crossing themselves and bowing or kneeling during prayers, while others choose not to cross themselves, don't cross or bow, and stand during prayers.  Neither is wrong and so while one person might pass up meat on a Friday, another might choose not to.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2014, 11:20:40 AM »
Also, don't assume all Christians observe Lent.

MissRose

« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2014, 01:37:42 PM »
Some of my family are not practicing Catholics like myself but some of them will avoid meat on Ash Wednesday and Lenten Fridays even if they don't do other Lenten observances. 

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2014, 01:53:31 PM »
Since the original post was deleted, I've locked this thread.  Feel free to start a new one.