Author Topic: Holidays 2014  (Read 6665 times)

Minmom3

Re: Holidays 2014
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2014, 01:23:03 PM »
I just emailed the kids (25, 28 and 29) asking what their plans are.  There are more of them than there are of DH and I, and they're all in solid relationships with men with families, so I need to take their plans into account.  Plus, DH is a borderline (not so borderline...) hoarder, so cleaning the house to be company ready takes TIME and he is a procrastinator and wants it done the morning of.  Last year, DD#2 offered up her SIL and BIL's house, but DH wouldn't commit to driving that far.  So, I went without him, and had a nice time, but I'd rather have him with me for dinner.  If we need to get a cleaning service in to clean the house, then we need time to have it done.  If we're going elsewhere for Thanksgiving, we need (I need) time to talk DH into going along with the plans.  DH is difficult, but I want a nice day, cuss it all to tarnation!

Christmas is at our house, well after breakfast.  Cleaning will have to be done by then anyway, so all my angst is for Thanksgiving.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

blueyzca01

« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »
Iíve been in DHís life for 8 years.  During the first few years we were together, his sister Natasha would not allow us to come over during Christmas day, as it was just for her little family of four.  We were welcome for dinner of course, but she and her hubby wanted to be alone with their twin sons for present opening and playtime later on.

Well, Iím not going to sit around all day waiting the evening to arrive so that I was now welcome in her home.  So, every year since 2006 DH and I have gone to my sisterís home, and have had wonderful Christmases with her family.

Well, Iíll give you a dollar if you can guess whatís coming...SIL is now getting divorced, and cannot understand why DH and I wonít come to her house this Christmas, because weíve allllllllwaaaaays gone to my sisterís house and this should be her turn.  Nope, sorry, our Christmas tradition is set for the time being.  Now, when my nieces get their own families (hopefully not for another 10 years), we can renegotiate, but for now, weíre going to San Diego like we always do, and weíll see Natasha at Thanksgiving. 

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:44:19 PM by blueyzca01 »
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

cutejellybeen

« Reply #77 on: Yesterday at 05:28:40 PM »
Iíve been in DHís life for 8 years.  During the first few years we were together, his sister Natasha would not allow us to come over during Christmas day, as it was just for her little family of four.  We were welcome for dinner of course, but she and her hubby wanted to be alone with their twin sons for present opening and playtime later on.

Well, Iím not going to sit around all day waiting the evening to arrive so that I was now welcome in her home.  So, every year since 2006 DH and I have gone to my sisterís home, and have had wonderful Christmases with her family.

Well, Iíll give you a dollar if you can guess whatís coming...SIL is now getting divorced, and cannot understand why DH and I wonít come to her house this Christmas, because weíve allllllllwaaaaays gone to my sisterís house and this should be her turn.  Nope, sorry, our Christmas tradition is set for the time being.  Now, when my nieces get their own families (hopefully not for another 10 years), we can renegotiate, but for now, weíre going to San Diego like we always do, and weíll see Natasha at Thanksgiving.

This is our first year with our daughter. We actually plan to have the morning to ourselves before opening up the house to the Grandparents if they want to visit between 11 & 12. Traditionally we have gone to my Dads for Breakfast/gifts as I still have young siblings. Would you be offended by that? Not trying to be argumentative, just curious. My brother is law does the same thing. That said, dinner is still held at my dads house, and we do go there then.

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #78 on: Today at 03:47:49 AM »
Besides my 2 children, son-in-law, and grandkids, my sister is all I have left in my immediate family. She works in hospitality, I work at an airport, therefore we don't get a lot of holidays off.

I don't mind working Thanksgiving, as in the past, my kids have felt they need to visit their Dad, and his parents (I have no problem with that as they try to spread themselves out) and by the time they get to my house, they are already stuffed. Besides, I work until midnight on the night before, so I'd rather not get up early to prepare a dinner! I've been at my job for 15 years so we are also a family at work, and many companies cater a dinner for their workers, and someone always brings me a dinner plate. (I can't leave my desk as I'm a Emergency Dispatcher)

As far as Christmas goes, my ex, kids and  I always work it out. Sometimes I work Christmas Eve and other times I work Christmas Day. Everyone is accommodating to my work schedule, and in turn, I try to accommodate my grandchildren's schedule as they are 3 and 1. I'm not sure how it will work this year, but we'll figure it out!  :)

Amara

« Reply #79 on: Today at 12:42:35 PM »
hannahmollysmom, I really admire your class. It seems as though your family likes treating people and families and holidays with respect.

I am uncertain how this year the holidays are going to play out for me. I am dating a new man in my life (at my age!), and this one may turn out to be a serious relationship. At least it seems to be moving in that direction. My mom is 92 so I have no idea if she will still be around (though I hope so). I have spent almost every year going to my parent's home but the truth is that I crave, absolutely crave, the opportunity to host Thanksgiving and Christmas myself. I want to have things I love like no-stress, low-key but definitely celebratory times and foods and things to do--and I am more than entitled to them. So I have been giving this a lot of subconscious thought. Do I ask Allen to go with me to my family's (he has none)? Do I stay home with him? Do I try to combine the two in some way? It's not causing me anxiety but it is something I want to decide because if I decide not to go down I will have to deal with missing time with my mom if she passes on in the next year, not to mention the guilt trips that one of my sisters will try to lay on me.

Decisions, decisions ...
« Last Edit: Today at 12:54:07 PM by Amara »