Author Topic: MLB baseball game - what should I expect?  (Read 1851 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: MLB baseball game - what should I expect?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 05:18:13 PM »
I saw Vin Scully is going to be there announcing!  Lucky YOU!  I'm going to second the suggestion to bring a radio just to hear him.  He always has something nice to say about almost everyone.  ;D
I don't know if it's going to be on the radio or not. It is going to be on tv and DH will be recording both games. Another commentator they're having is Ian Chappell...who normally calls the cricket.

As for the stadium, the SCG is pretty lax . They just don't want you bringing in grog. There might be special conditions set by the MLB though. When DH and I went to see the hockey no bags were allowed in at all and they confiscated a lot of hockey sticks.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:23:27 PM by Katana_Geldar »

katycoo

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2014, 06:06:47 PM »
Doesn't "root" mean something dirty in Aussie slang?  >:D

Only if you think that s*x is dirty :)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 06:24:17 PM »
Find out if they have any promotions that day. Sometimes they give out this or that as people arrive but only as long as supplies last.  Sometimes they have fireworks after games.

Check out parking.  Where is it cheap, legal and safe on game days?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 06:29:08 PM »
We're not driving to the game as we don't drive. I've worked out the public transport as we've been out there before for an event. I'll look out for promotions though as we are arriving early.

Been looking at the food, the chipper looks good.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/big-beefy-and-totally-american--and-thats-just-the-food-at-the-major-league-baseball-opener-20140307-34cr4.html

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2014, 08:20:40 PM »
Your first baseball game - I'm so envious! 

If you can get there right when the gates open, you might be able to see at least one of the teams taking batting practice - and that's a great time for photos, and balls.  Drink beer, eat peanuts, buy a program so you know who's who, expect the game to last about three hours, and yes, do learn "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" before you go :-). 

Bring your camera!

I'm in Florida right now for Spring Training.  I don't have the Dodgers or Diamondbacks, because they're in Arizona, but if you're interested in seeing my pics from this year, check out http://tinyurl.com/qya9ko2 !

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2014, 04:18:07 AM »
Well, the first game was about to start and it's delayed by rain. We're going tomorrow anyway, but they put filler on tv.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2014, 02:21:04 PM »
This morning there was a brief mention of the game on the news here in NYC.  It was mentioned that the gate was something like 40,000 people, and two koalas. 

Mrs. Tilney

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2014, 03:49:06 PM »
Bacon on a stick is apparently popular at Camden Yards, the home of the Baltimore Orioles. Dipped in maple syrup or a honey barbecue sauce & grilled.  It is sometimes served on a very long stick, that is inserted into a bottle of beer.

Huh. I've never seen that, and I have a season ticket plan for the Orioles. I guess I  need to explore more?  ;D

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2014, 06:39:03 PM »
Well, we had a good time, they're talking about them coming back in a few more years and we'll probably go that, with baby most likely. It wasn't just the game, sometimes we had no idea what was going on as we were that far from the action that you really had to concentrate and look at the scoreboard every now and then to see what was going on. They didn't always have instant replay on the big screens, so we missed a few good catches as we were just not concentrating. The home run the d-backs got in the last inning was pretty great and the entire stadium erupted, not just the fans.

Didn't have any baseball food because they were out. I think they severely underestimated how many people were going to buy the stuff. So no ice cream in helmets, they did have nachos in catchers mitts though but I think they sold out pretty fast as well. Plenty of meat pies and sausage rolls though ;)

It was very hot at first, and we were sitting in full sun for I'd guess about two hours. We had the sun cream though we still got burnt a bit, it did eventually start to cloud over and cool. It did convince DH and myself to not ever go to the cricket there, as it would be longer and hotter as it's in the middle of summer. There were a few people around us complaining about the heat, but what would expect? It was a hot day, the game went on for a while, we knew what we were in for but apparently a lot of people didn't.

We did sing Take me out to the Ball game at the seventh inning stretch, which wasn't that long. DH and I and I suspect a few people did laugh during one of the verses as to what we should do to the "home team", we like them but not that much.

Thanks for your tips guys, had a really good day and we're both a little tired. They're calling the game a major success which makes me hope that they'll come back.

And a treat, Marcia Hines was great how her voice echoed all the way though the stadium. I heard some of the players were brought to tears. Our anthem was so much more lacklustre, but that's us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TITt6uZqz0

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2014, 09:00:54 AM »
A friend of mine who was at the game shared this article this morning (well, this morning to me):

http://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar/baseball-explained-by-an-aussie-who-has-never-seen-baseball

Bethczar

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2014, 03:58:29 PM »
A friend of mine who was at the game shared this article this morning (well, this morning to me):

http://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar/baseball-explained-by-an-aussie-who-has-never-seen-baseball
I love the line about pajamas!