Author Topic: Incy wincy or itsy bitsy?  (Read 1356 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Incy wincy or itsy bitsy?
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
I had posted previously on this, and just realized that I'm reading incy wincy with a short i, as opposed to a long e (eensy-weensy). So I have to change my answer, at least partly. In my family it was "eensy weensy," but my parents are English Canadian and their dialect is very influenced by UK trends. Then when I got around other USA kids more, it became itsy-bitsy.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2014, 01:17:10 PM »
Eency weency

This is how I learned it in Iowa.

emwithme

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2014, 02:34:26 PM »
I had posted previously on this, and just realized that I'm reading incy wincy with a short i, as opposed to a long e (eensy-weensy). So I have to change my answer, at least partly. In my family it was "eensy weensy," but my parents are English Canadian and their dialect is very influenced by UK trends. Then when I got around other USA kids more, it became itsy-bitsy.

Incy Wincy (with the vowel sounding like the short "i" in "bin" rather than "eensy weensy" with the long "ee" sound of "bean")

England (Midlands).

As others have said, "Itsy Bitsy" relates to a teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 01:12:32 PM »

Incy Wincy (with the vowel sounding like the short "i" in "bin" rather than "eensy weensy" with the long "ee" sound of "bean")

England (Midlands).

As others have said, "Itsy Bitsy" relates to a teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini.

Language is interesting. I don't think of a tiny bikini when I see "itsy bitsy." I think, "spider."  :)

sempronialou

• semper ubi sub ubi
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2014, 09:18:07 PM »
From Michigan-  I've heard both, but I learned it as Itsy Bitsy. 

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2014, 02:07:58 PM »
Itsy-bitsy here. I have heard them both- but when I sing it, it is always "itsy-bitsy".
I have pet mice!

AngelicGamer

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2014, 05:37:47 PM »
Itsy bitsy --> Illinois, Chicago area.

As for Ring o Ring o'Roses, I know both versions.  But that's due to an aunt who lived in the UK when I was a little one and interest in the Black Plague during the teenage years.  Even though it's been disproved that the rhyme has any connection at all to it.  ;D

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.