Author Topic: What's cider?  (Read 2797 times)

Another Sarah

Re: What's cider?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 05:14:07 AM »
I like a mulled cider, which is generally the unfiltered non-alcoholic apple cider heated slowly with cinnamon, cloves, and maybe nutmeg or allspice, and sometimes served spiked with whiskey or rum.

We do mulled cider in the UK but it's alcoholic cider.
We also do alcoholic pear cider (perry) a lot and a lot of our cider brands are fruit infused, so mostly apple, but with other fruit flavours

Some of our country pubs and the like make wine and cider from all sorts of fruit though - peach cider is great as is nettle beer, elderflower wine is very traditional.
There's one near where I grew up that has 20 or so different fruit/flower based drinks on tap, @samihami they have cherry cider too!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 07:52:39 AM »
So is it made along the same lines as alcoholic cider but drunk before the alcohol bit, or is it a different sort of juice?
Also do you class only apples as cider or other fruit such as pear?

We do have pear and, sometimes, cherry cider.  However, these are usually apple cider with other fruit juices added. 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 03:18:50 PM »
In Australia, cider is starting to catch on as an alternative to beer, which is great as I'm not a beer drinker. We do have sparkling apple juice too, which has been carbonated.

A popular brand here is Rekordelig cider. Its flavoured, but tastes so nice. I like the Winter Cider with cinnamon send cloves.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 01:50:05 AM »
Apple juice here in the UK comes in two main forms:
- clear, which is often made from concentrate, has a long smhelf life and really doesn't taste that great; and

- 'fresh pressed' apple juice, which is the opaque, cloudy stuff, has a much shorter shelf life and has to be refridgerated. It also tastes pretty good! This sounds a little closer to US cider?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:13:07 PM by starry diadem »
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Library Dragon

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 02:44:35 AM »
Cider is opaque and goes 'bad' (or good, if you're trying for ahrd cider) rather quickly.

Deviating from the strict topic; but I love the story from the Prohibition era (a true one, I gather) about the US winemaker who discovered a useful legal loophole.  This involved putting on bottles of non-alcoholic grape juice, a label reading: "Beware !  May ferment and turn into wine." The label went on to describe the stages in which this process took place -- of course, so that the purchaser could take steps to make sure that the threatened horrid thing did not happen... The stratagem was challenged in court, and I gather that it was ruled that the manufacturer was not technically in breach of the law, and could carry on doing as they were doing.

Beverage Journal mentions this in article in the December issue. 
http://info.wentevineyards.com/rs/wentefamilyestates/images/121313FF_Wente_BeverageJournal_December2013_FullArticle.pdf?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRonvqTJZKXonjHpfsX57eovULHr08Yy0EZ5VunJEUWy2YoCStQ%2FcOedCQkZHblFnVkLS62iWKMNoqcE

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 08:55:36 AM »

- 'fresh pressed' apple juice, which is the opaque, cloudy stuff, has a much shorter shelf life and has to be refridgerated. It also teastes pretty good! This sounds a little closer to US cider?

Yep, that sounds exact like US cider.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 09:00:03 AM »
Cider is opaque and goes 'bad' (or good, if you're trying for ahrd cider) rather quickly.

Deviating from the strict topic; but I love the story from the Prohibition era (a true one, I gather) about the US winemaker who discovered a useful legal loophole.  This involved putting on bottles of non-alcoholic grape juice, a label reading: "Beware !  May ferment and turn into wine." The label went on to describe the stages in which this process took place -- of course, so that the purchaser could take steps to make sure that the threatened horrid thing did not happen... The stratagem was challenged in court, and I gather that it was ruled that the manufacturer was not technically in breach of the law, and could carry on doing as they were doing.

Beverage Journal mentions this in article in the December issue. 
http://info.wentevineyards.com/rs/wentefamilyestates/images/121313FF_Wente_BeverageJournal_December2013_FullArticle.pdf?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRonvqTJZKXonjHpfsX57eovULHr08Yy0EZ5VunJEUWy2YoCStQ%2FcOedCQkZHblFnVkLS62iWKMNoqcE

Back then, some people made root beer, which is non-alcoholic, at home. My dad's family did this--the kids got root beer to drink on special occasions. Otherwise it was milk or water only.

Homemade root beer needs yeast, and the yeast needs a week or two to ferment. There was something you could add to the root beer to make it alcoholic. Not sure it tasted very good, but if Prohibition prevented you from getting any other source of alcohol, I suppose it was drinkable.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 09:10:05 AM »
I like cider, but don't like apple juice, as the flavors are definitely different.  And in my state, since you can't buy alcoholic drinks in grocery stores, it's guaranteed that if you bought it in a grocery store it's non alcoholic.

But I've had alcoholic cider and enjoyed it even more. :) I love Magner's, which I'm told goes by the name of Bulmer's in Ireland.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 09:48:45 AM »
Interesting tidbit:  I've heard that "An Apple a day keeps the doctor away" was from prohibition.  There were all these apple trees that had been for hard cider, and the saying was a marketing ploy to broaden the market for apples. 

jilly

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »
I like cider, but don't like apple juice, as the flavors are definitely different.  And in my state, since you can't buy alcoholic drinks in grocery stores, it's guaranteed that if you bought it in a grocery store it's non alcoholic.

But I've had alcoholic cider and enjoyed it even more. :) I love Magner's, which I'm told goes by the name of Bulmer's in Ireland.

Magner's and Bulmer's are different brands, I prefer Bulmer's it's not quite as dry but still no where near as sweet as koppernberg. Strongbrow is everywhere but it's my last choice it's gut rot. The best I've had was from cornwall, I got it at a local food festival served from the barrel into plastic bottles usually used for milk, half a pint went strait to my head and the whole pint was about all I could handle. it was called rumpy, pumpy, scrumpy   >:D

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2014, 06:45:31 PM »
In South Korea, "cider" is sprite or 7Up.

wildkitty

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 08:42:17 AM »
In my area (Michigan) there are a lot of microbreweries that make hard ciders. Everything from apple to blueberry to peach. Fantastic stuff and usually with an ABV of 7 to 10%. When I was a kid we use to press our apples into cider and as a teenager I would grab a gallon to hide in a cool dark place so that it would ferment.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 01:09:53 PM »
In my area (Michigan) there are a lot of microbreweries that make hard ciders. Everything from apple to blueberry to peach. Fantastic stuff and usually with an ABV of 7 to 10%. When I was a kid we use to press our apples into cider and as a teenager I would grab a gallon to hide in a cool dark place so that it would ferment.

I'm a 'gander, too, and I have fond memories of going to apple orchards for some fresh-pressed cider.  :)