Author Topic: Pretty, pretty fingers  (Read 2863 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
Pretty, pretty fingers
« on: December 12, 2013, 09:13:49 AM »
About a month ago, I started taking folic acid again (not because I'm pregnant, just cuz I wanna be soon).  I'd almost forgotten about the beautiful, beautiful things folic acid does for my finger nails.  I've been rocking some serious fun and funky nails and spending way too much time on pinterest looking for new nail designs to rock.

I'm sure there have to be others here who delight in pretty nails and funky nail art.

Show them off.   ;D  I'm looking for new ideas.

I'm rocking an awesome animal print french mani right now, which I will post a pic of as soon as it's dried.  :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:52:37 PM by Knitterly »

Coralreef

Re: Pretty, pretty fingers
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:24:59 AM »
Folic acid is good for nails?  I didn't know that.  I'll try it out, mine are having a bad run of splitting, cracking and breaking. 

[/right

Knitterly

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »
Folic acid is good for nails?  I didn't know that.  I'll try it out, mine are having a bad run of splitting, cracking and breaking.

I don't know if it works as a hard and fast rule.  I didn't know it, either.  But there is a definite link between the folic acid and the quality of my nails.  I started taking it and there was an immediate and noticeable difference in the length/quality of my nails.

My current pretty nail pic will have to wait until the kids are napping.  A bum change just severely damaged the not quite dry nails.  I'm not even going to attempt to fix/redo them until the kids are in bed and no longer likely to damage a not-dry manicure.  I am pretty sad. 

Edited to add;  Pretty leopard print nails.  :D

Add your pics.  Show off your pretty/fun nails.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 12:18:35 PM by Knitterly »

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 02:16:07 PM »
What a fun print! I just whacked my nails off a week ago and am starting over. I've been using CND solar oil on them a couple of times a day and I can see a big difference. My nail tech friend just told me that she'll teach me how to do a french manicure on myself so I won't have to pay to have them done...can't wait!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

jmarvellous

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 02:34:23 PM »
Biotin (also in prenatal vitamins and recommended if you want to grow your hair faster) was great, great, great for my hair and nails. I grew out my hair for my wedding waaaay faster than I ever have before. But I'm also prone to acne and it made me break out like a woman with chicken pox, except all really big pimples.

My nails are generally one plain color, though I sometimes blend paints to come up with new colors, or layer them. I can't do much painting with my non-dominant hand, so if I were to do any details, they'd have to be on the right.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 08:32:27 PM »
Whoa! Hoping for a FetusKnit to be BabyKnit2?

Best wishes, smiles, giggles.

Oh, yes, when you take care of the reproductiveand subsequent breastfeeding, the rest of the body responds. Good Mommy you are   :D

Knitterly

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »

Oh, yes, when you take care of the reproductiveand subsequent breastfeeding, the rest of the body responds. Good Mommy you are   :D
Oh dear, no.  I should edit that.  Prepping as in hoping.  Mr dr wants me on folic acid for a few months prior to getting pregnant.

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 09:05:53 PM »
Very impressive!!! My nails are around too many legos these days to ever stay that pretty for long...  ;)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 09:44:38 PM »

Oh dear, no.  I should edit that.  Prepping as in hoping.  Mr dr wants me on folic acid for a few months prior to getting pregnant.

Then I should edit: If your body is in prime state, your reproduction will respond. Yes! I said hoping. (We have 45 year old kids and older teens - no babies on the horizon, so I am enjoying yours! I want to be a great-grandma when the time comes!)

A chubby 70 year old jumping up and down is not a pretty picture. I hope all of our other eHellions remember that.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 10:45:40 PM »
This was my previous manicure, done in honor of the Red Sox going to the World Series:

In case you can't tell...they're baseball stitches.   

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 11:28:12 PM »
I'm going to try the water marbelized nails sometime next week.  That looks like soo much fun and easy too

mrs_deb

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 05:10:08 PM »
This is my current manicure, which is drawing rave reviews from everyone who sees it:

Dr. F.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 08:46:01 PM »
*sigh* I wish I had decent nails, cause you can be sure I'd rock some amazing nail art. However, my nails suck - very weak (like, if I try to grow them out, they fold over my fingertips), and split at the least provocation. My cuticles also suck. The fact that I pick on them incessantly, a nervous habit, despite being 47  ::) doesn't help.

Any great suggestions? I've got biotin and folic acid so far....

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 08:52:19 PM »
I'm envious of you ladies!  My nails grow very weak...they grow fast but they're flimsy and rather than breaking, they tear.  Plus, my thumb nails grow all weird and ridgey (my thumb nails when viewed from the sides look like hilly landscape) so getting my nails done is unfortunately kind of a waste.  On top of that, my hands get quite dirty and abused during a regular day so one day at work would completely ruin nice nails.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

mrs_deb

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 08:57:18 PM »
I take Biotin, and I wear gloves for any sort of activities that might impact my nails (cleaning, gardening, etc.).

I've heard that gelatin works well to harden soft nails.