Author Topic: German Apple Coffee Cake  (Read 574 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
German Apple Coffee Cake
« on: December 18, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »
From the Crawford & McGregor region of Texas

Slightly sweet yeast bread served for breakfast or with coffee - can be served warm or room temperature

Start with:
1       cup warm water
2       tsp sugar
1       pkg dry yeast
1 1/2 cups flour (I've used All Purpose and Bread flours - either works well)

Mix & set aside in a warm place to rise (about 20 to 30 minutes - it is "proofing" - mostly you're making sure that the yeast isn't dead).

1      cup warm milk
1/4   cup margarine (butter)
1/2   cup sugar
1/2   tsp salt
1 beaten egg (size not mentioned - I tend to use a large egg when baking)

Add to yeast mixture & mix well.  Add 2 1/2 cups flour and beat for at least five minutes.  Grease the top (or use plastic wrap - so it won't dry out while rising) and set aside for at least thirty minutes to rise.

Grease pan (bread pan in her handwritten instructions, for a "loaf" or a 9" x 13" pan if you go by what I saw her using growing up).  Two 8" x 8" pans also work, I'd see her do that with ONE being for breakfast today and the other being "for later". 

Turn batter out into pan and press out enough to get it into the corners & evenly flat. 

Mix 3 Tbsp sugar and 1 Tbsp cinnamon (she used 1 tsp cinnamon due to being a farmer's wife & spices having to be bought with CASH money - more is better)  & sprinkle on top.  Press apple cubes cut from one apple into the top.  (I have no memory of what she used - I tend to use Granny Smith, as they are good baking apples - I don't peel them but she did.)

Set aside in a warm place to rise for about 20 minutes (it should fill the pan when it's ready - but not overfill the pan) - covering it keeps the top from drying out & baking up "tough". 

Bake 20 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees Farenheit. 

She usually iced it with powdered sugar, Crisco shortening, and milk - but she was feeding a farm family so more calories were a GOOD thing. 

In the 1980s, I tried a spice glaze & took it to a family reunion - she loved the spice glaze & confided in me that she'd never had the money for the "expensive" spices - then wanted another piece if there was any left....apparently it was a recipe from "her" side of the family and it had been very popular with those who recognized it as THEIR family's recipe.

Spice glaze - 2 cups powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar, icing sugar, 10X sugar, whatever)
                    1 tsp vanilla (optional)
                    2 Tbsp butter (margarine)
                    3 to 4 tbsp milk or light cream (start with 3 Tbsp & add more until it is the right consistency for YOU)
                    1/2 tsp cinnamon
                     1/4 tsp nutmeg

Combine everything & mix (hand mixer works faster than a spoon) - it can be spread as an icing or poured as a glaze - just thin with a little more milk, if that's your preference.  It should not be covering the whole top of the coffee cake - it is not frosting.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:29:43 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jayhawk

• my organizing website
Re: German Apple Coffee Cake
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 10:43:24 PM »
All the background make that recipe special, especially how your grandmother wouldn't or couldn't use the "cash money" spices. Thanks for sharing.