Author Topic: Sugar cookies  (Read 729 times)

shygirl

Sugar cookies
« on: December 12, 2013, 09:14:24 AM »
I'm looking for a recipe for cutout sugar cookies, where the cookies are a bit on the crunchy side.

Does anyone know a good one? 

Thanks!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Sugar cookies
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 12:35:33 PM »
The easiest way to get them a bit crunchy is to just cook them a little longer or roll them a little thinner.  I have a recipe at home but I bake them to a softer stage so you'd have to experiment a bit.  I can post it when I get home this afternoon, if you like.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

123sandy

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 01:02:02 PM »
I'd be interested in a recipe too, if anyone has one they don't mind sharing. TIA!

shygirl

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 01:06:48 PM »
The easiest way to get them a bit crunchy is to just cook them a little longer or roll them a little thinner.  I have a recipe at home but I bake them to a softer stage so you'd have to experiment a bit.  I can post it when I get home this afternoon, if you like.

Would rolling them out thinner and cooking a bit longer also help the cookies keep their shape?

Last time I baked sugar cookies, which was a few years ago, I tried to make heart shapes, but they looked more like blobs by the time they were done baking.

dawbs

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 01:32:18 PM »
These keep their shape well--officially the recipe is "Rolled Butter Cookies".  And they're better after they've sat for a few days and the icing soaks in. That said, the're not really crunchy unless you over-bake them a bit.:

Recipe:
1 lb (4 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
5 c. flour (scant)
2 c. powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk
2 Tbsp vanilla

Oven at 325

Grease (or parchment paper) cookie sheet
Mix ingredients.  Roll out THICK using powdered sugar (NOT FLOUR) on the rolling pin and surface.
Cut into desired shapes w/ cookie cutters.
Bake 20 minutes--DO NOT BROWN. (air bake pans if you've got 'em!)

I do an outline of royal icing on them--that's optional.
But what's a must is to glaze them w/ powdered sugar + water/milk + food coloring +vanilla =glaze--I don't really have a recipe, just add until it's the thickness of syrup.  ( and sprinkles on top)
The first day, they taste rather 'meh', it's after a few days, when the icing soaks in nicely, that they're good.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 01:58:11 PM »
Rolling thinner definitely helps them keep their shape.  I've done fall leaves with my family recipe and while they do look a bit puffy, you can definitely tell the difference between a maple leaf and an oak leaf.

I'll try to remember to post it when I get home.  Here's the ingredients I can remember, though, in case you need to pick something up:

flour
granulated sugar
egg
cream of tarter
butter
salt
maybe vanilla, but I'm not sure

You sprinkle more granulated sugar on top and bake them.  If you are just going to do that, you can colour the sugar by using paste type food colourings and shaking the sugar vigorously in a container to mix it in.  If you are going to decorate with icing, I'd leave the sprinkled sugar off.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 05:54:57 PM »
Aunt Bess's Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
~3 cups flour

Blend the butter and sugar together.  Add the cream of tarter, baking soda and eggs.  Slowly add the flour.  Roll out thin on a floured surface and cut with a cookie cutter.  Sprinkle with sugar before baking.  Bake at 375 F until slightly browned. (or more brown if you want a bit crunchy)
Ontario

shygirl

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 06:38:04 PM »
Thank you so much! I am going to try them out tomorrow!

Wish me luck...I'm usually not good at things that involve rolling out dough.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 07:50:18 PM »

If you have trouble with the cookies spreading, there are two things you can do. One is to chill the dough very well before baking, the other to use shortening instead of butter (butter has a lower melting point than shortening, and tends to melt before the cookies set, which causes spreading).

Sweet_Jenny

• Creamty Recipes
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 04:25:40 AM »
Ingredient
  • 1 cup - butter or margarine, softened
    3/4 cup - firmly packed light brown sugar
    3/4 cup - granulated sugar
    2 - eggs
    2 tbs - milk
    2 tsp - vanilla extract
    4 cups - all-purpose flour
    2 1/2 tsp - baking powder
    1 tsp - salt

For Instructions, visit Creamty Recipes
Sweet Jenny

"The act of caring can never be learned, it is inherited."

http://www.creamty.com/t1/recipes/sweets-snacks/sugar-cookies-recipe.html

purple

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 11:11:24 PM »
I just want to post here so I can find this thread again :)
I'm making cookies for Easter this year :)

CakeEater

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 05:39:57 AM »
To stop spreading, you can do a few things:

-add more flour than the recipe calls for. Especially if you'll be icing them, more flour means they'll be less sweet.
-I freeze mine for 10-15 minutes on the tray they'll be bakes on
-bake on silicone or baking paper rather than on greased trays
-lessen the baking powder or baking soda in your recipe, or eliminate it altogether

Or all of the above!