Author Topic: what to do with shrimp?  (Read 1055 times)

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
what to do with shrimp?
« on: December 13, 2013, 03:24:20 PM »
I have a bag of thawed shrimp I need to use. I was going to cook it up and let DH and the kids add it to the creamy garlic pasta I made last night. Unfortunately it was still frozen last night. (Funny side story, I asked DH to defrost the shrimp yesterday afternoon. He pulled it out of the freezer and put it in the fridge. When I asked for the shrimp, he admitted it was not yet defrosted, but "not for lack of trying" When I asked him what he had tried, he said he tried putting it in the fridge.)

Anyway, now I need to cook the shrimp but I don't know what to do with it. I need an easy, fairly foolproof way to prepare it. I'm not a big fan of seafood, and pretty much the only thing I do with shrimp is put it in pasta. So, can any friendly ehellions help me out?
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: what to do with shrimp?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 03:56:10 PM »
This is actually really good and I'm not normally a canned soup eater. Quick Shrimp Chowder.
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/quick-shrimp-chowder-10000000569452/
If I have frozen corn or peas available, I'll throw it into the pot for color.

We also eat shrimp tacos. A quick method is to buy a jar of Salsa Verde. Split the peele shrimp in half if they are large. Saute in a little oil and garlic and then add some of the Salsa verde and cook till just done. Make tacos with warmed corn tortillias, shredded cabbage or lettuce, tomatoes and avocados and a little more salsa. If your willing to grill instead season the shrimp with cumin, chilip powder and salt. Skewer and grill.

Or you can make them into shrimp and corn enchiladas. Make the shrimp the same way but dice up more finely. Mix in some cilantro and cooked corn. Roll into the corn tortillias and put in a 9x12 casserole. Spread from salsa verde over the top and then top with Monterrey Jack cheese and bake till warm. Add sour cream if you like.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 03:57:05 PM »
you can't go wrong boiling it and dipping it in cocktail sauce. Or peel then saute in garlic butter. Very simple and delicious! You could also skewer them, baste with the sauce of your choice (teriyaki? BBQ? Whatever you prefer) and grill for a couple of minutes. The beauty of shrimp is that it cooks very quickly and it's almost impossible to ruin.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 03:57:44 PM »
Make your own shrimp fried rice?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Zizi-K

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »
My go-to marinade for shrimp involves soy, mirin, sriracha, and garlic expressions dressing. Let them marinate for 30 minutes to an hour, then grill, broil or pan-fry. YUM.

(If you didn't have one of those ingredients, it's not the end of the world. Soy is for saltiness, mirin is for sweetness, sriracha for spiciness, and the garlic expressions is for garlic flavor and oil. You can replace them with lots of other things and still get a great flavor.)

You can also marinate in cumin, lime, olive oil and cayenne, then cook and use in shrimp tacos or fajitas.

Other ideas: shrimp stir fry. They take so little time to cook, they're the best for a quick dinner!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 04:25:06 PM »
Jambalaya involves prawns, I never put them in as DH isn't a fan but loves jambalaya.

magicdomino

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 04:52:45 PM »
Steam or boil.  Do it plain and serve with cocktail sauce (ketchup, horseradish, and a dash of worchestershire).  Or cook with some cider vinegar and plenty of some sort of spice mixture like Old Bay.

Shrimp cocktail makes a very good lunch the next day, too.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 11:13:48 PM »
Thanks for the ideas! It really helps me a lot because DH has been wishing and hoping that I would cook more seafood for him, so I decided to start with the shrimp, and now I have more ideas than just the pasta :)

I can't believe I didn't think of fried rice or stir fry on my own. I make those all the time. I ended up going with the fried rice and just kept a little aside for myself with some leftover chicken. So everyone was happy.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 12:00:40 AM »
I realize this is too late for this particular bag'o'shrimp, but we de-tail and then saute cooked shrimp briefly in butter and Frank's Hot Sauce and make a lovely Buffalo Shrimp that we put over salad.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 12:15:26 AM »
I too am late for this particular thread, though my aunt has a recipe for shrimp dip, if you would like.

Rohanna

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 12:53:23 AM »
The trick to defrosting shrimp quickly for next time is to put them in a bowl in your sink and let cool water run gently over them- about 10-15 mins and they'll be safely thawed enough to cook :) Cool not hot, or you'll make them go rubbery.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Chip2

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »
Mix up a batch of red beans and rice. When it's almost done cooking stir the shrimp into the mix and let it sit for a few minutes. Yum!

Magnet

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 09:21:23 AM »
Sadly, this recipe is too late for these particular shrimp, but here is what I do with de-thawed, de-veined, de-shelled shrimp.

Heat oil in pan and add shrimp and chopped, de-seeded jalapeno peppers.  When the shrimp are pink, take them out of the pan and add red currant jelly and 2 TBSP bourbon to the pan.  Stir constantly until the liquid thickens, and then pour the bourbon glaze over the shrimp and serve with rice and salad.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 12:46:56 AM »

One dish I did recently that was very good, and would work really well for a summer meal.

Take cooked, shelled shrimp, some thinly sliced onion and halved cherry tomatoes, some sliced celery if you want.  Dress with a horseradish vinagrette (olive oil, horseradish, lemon juice, wine vinegar, salt, pepper). It picks up some of the same flavours of shrimp with cocktail sauce, but in a fresh salad format.

daen

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 12:35:08 PM »
The trick to defrosting shrimp quickly for next time is to put them in a bowl in your sink and let cool water run gently over them- about 10-15 mins and they'll be safely thawed enough to cook :) Cool not hot, or you'll make them go rubbery.

If I remember my Good Eats episodes correctly, the trick to defrosting anything quickly is cool/cold moving water. Cold moving water beats hot water for speed as well as safety, as there is no accidental cooking or creating bacterial breeding grounds with cold water.