Author Topic: Public BBQs  (Read 3477 times)

CakeEater

Public BBQs
« on: December 15, 2013, 06:09:01 AM »
I was watching a stand-up comedian from the UK where he expressed surprise about public BBQs in Australia.

Does any other country have these in parks, or is it just us?

menley

Re: Public BBQs
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 06:14:14 AM »
A lot of parks in the US have public little charcoal grills, if that's what you mean?

CakeEater

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 06:28:24 AM »
We have gas BBQs. You go, push a button, the gas starts, BBQ heats up and you cook. They're maintained by local councils.

They often look like this:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BBQ_located_in_Capital_Park_in_Lyndhurst.jpg

English1

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 07:06:38 AM »
I'm UK and not sure what you mean by public bbq. Is it where an open event is advertised and people bring their own food to cook at ready lit bbqs? (my guess).

If it's just bbq facilities in parks, then it isn't completely unknown in the UK. Well, I know of one country park that does it. BBQs are usually banned in parks. But this one has a special bbq area of little sections surrounded by small wooden fences (solid enough to sit on) and a gravel area for a bbq to sit on. You have to hire one of their own bbqs and buy their charcoal. I used to go most Sundays for a walk and it was extremely popular with what looked like a large extended Greek or Turkish family or community - they'd have most of the areas and be cooking very delicious-smelling half-lambs on them with grandmas and kids and all sorts on a day out.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 07:37:27 AM »
I'm UK and not sure what you mean by public bbq. Is it where an open event is advertised and people bring their own food to cook at ready lit bbqs? (my guess).

If it's just bbq facilities in parks, then it isn't completely unknown in the UK. Well, I know of one country park that does it. BBQs are usually banned in parks. But this one has a special bbq area of little sections surrounded by small wooden fences (solid enough to sit on) and a gravel area for a bbq to sit on. You have to hire one of their own bbqs and buy their charcoal. I used to go most Sundays for a walk and it was extremely popular with what looked like a large extended Greek or Turkish family or community - they'd have most of the areas and be cooking very delicious-smelling half-lambs on them with grandmas and kids and all sorts on a day out.

Public bbqs in Oz are bbq facilities in public parks (like in the pic cakeeater posted). There doesn't have to be an advertised event to use them. The bbqs (gas or electric) are there for the public to use just like the rest of the park. You (general you) and friends just rock up with your meat (or whatever you're bbqing) and away you go.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 08:37:41 AM »
If I thought about it I would be surprised to NOT see charcoal grills in the picnic area of public parks. The four I frequent with the kids (Memorial, Herman, Hedwick, and Bear Creak) all have them and Hedwick is an itty bitty park with just a playground area (the others have sports fields/public monuments Bear Creek has an animal display. Herman Park has The Zoo, Miller Outdoor Theater, Houston Museum of Natural Science, Memorial is a monument to WWI soldiers (was a WWI camp) multiple tails, fitness center, pool, and the Nature Center)

The thought is these are safer than people bringing their own portable ones and dumping out still hot coals to go home. (Portable grills are allowed but have had some restrictions due to the drought and the fact the parks have been basically tinderboxes. Memorial lost so so many trees. Paying for natural gas or propane - that isn't going to happen. Setting up BBQ - by Texas standards is also not going to happen. Occasionally I see people having moved a real BBQ into Bear Creek.

Portable Grill for grilling things like hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken

BBQ grill for smoking meat for hour - in Texas usually brisket

I still remember visiting PEI and being invited over to my aunt's house for a BBQ. Seeing no sign of a smoker and whispering to my Daddy that we were going to starve before the meat was ready. (My parents would have started the Brisket at 6 am for a late lunch early dinner), and Daddy explaining that Aunt had invited us over for hamburgers and hot dogs. I was still concerned because no fire had been lit so it could burn down - they all used gas grills something none of my family in Texas would use at that time (King of the Hill might be accurate for Dallas but not Houston)

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 09:17:18 AM »
If I thought about it I would be surprised to NOT see charcoal grills in the picnic area of public parks. The four I frequent with the kids (Memorial, Herman, Hedwick, and Bear Creak) all have them and Hedwick is an itty bitty park with just a playground area (the others have sports fields/public monuments Bear Creek has an animal display. Herman Park has The Zoo, Miller Outdoor Theater, Houston Museum of Natural Science, Memorial is a monument to WWI soldiers (was a WWI camp) multiple tails, fitness center, pool, and the Nature Center)

The thought is these are safer than people bringing their own portable ones and dumping out still hot coals to go home. (Portable grills are allowed but have had some restrictions due to the drought and the fact the parks have been basically tinderboxes. Memorial lost so so many trees. Paying for natural gas or propane - that isn't going to happen. Setting up BBQ - by Texas standards is also not going to happen. Occasionally I see people having moved a real BBQ into Bear Creek.

I still remember visiting PEI and being invited over to my aunt's house for a BBQ. Seeing no sign of a smoker and whispering to my Daddy that we were going to starve before the meat was ready. (My parents would have started the Brisket at 6 am for a late lunch early dinner), and Daddy explaining that Aunt had invited us over for hamburgers and hot dogs. I was still concerned because no fire had been lit so it could burn down - they all used gas grills something none of my family in Texas would use at that time (King of the Hill might be accurate for Dallas but not Houston)

As kherbert stated, grills in public parks are pretty common in Texas area parks and in most public parks I've encountered as I traveled across the US. Most are open grills with no lids. Just a place to put the charcoal and a grate above.

kherbert, I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm in my late 40's. My Texas parents had an assortment of bbq devices from the early 70's on. The built in gas grill off the patio was for high heat grilling for like steaks and burgers. There was an old smokie grill that was favored for pork chops and a few other items when a more pronounced smoke flavor was wanted but you were still grilling basically.  And then we had two smokers, a traditional drum offset smoker but also a vertical water smoker. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »

As kherbert stated, grills in public parks are pretty common in Texas area parks and in most public parks I've encountered as I traveled across the US. Most are open grills with no lids. Just a place to put the charcoal and a grate above.

kherbert, I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm in my late 40's. My Texas parents had an assortment of bbq devices from the early 70's on. The built in gas grill off the patio was for high heat grilling for like steaks and burgers. There was an old smokie grill that was favored for pork chops and a few other items when a more pronounced smoke flavor was wanted but you were still grilling basically.  And then we had two smokers, a traditional drum offset smoker but also a vertical water smoker. 

We are about the same age. But no-one in the family had gas grills till the 90's. Dad tended to throw some hickory or mesquite on the coals when just grilling hamburgers or chicken.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 10:52:08 AM »
Prospect Park in Brooklyn has areas with charcoal grills for public use.  People can also bring their own grills to these areas.  There's no charge to use these facilities and people can bring their own charcoal.  If the weather has been very dry, there may be a ban on BBQing in public parks but, otherwise, it's first come first served. 

To be frank, I've never lived in an area that didn't have this sort of thing. 

Hillia

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 11:11:47 AM »
Charcoal grills are very common, as others have noted.  I've never seen a gas grill in a public park.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Rohanna

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »
Never seen a public gas grill but that's neat! Are the monitored or on a timer ? I'd be afraid of people accidentally or purposefully leaving them on.

The small metal boxes with a grate kind are common in remoter parks here- the ones on a heavy metal pole. Not in city parks as much - I don think the bi-laws tend to allow it.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 11:30:56 AM »
Never seen a public gas grill but that's neat! Are the monitored or on a timer ? I'd be afraid of people accidentally or purposefully leaving them on.

The small metal boxes with a grate kind are common in remoter parks here- the ones on a heavy metal pole. Not in city parks as much - I don think the bi-laws tend to allow it.
Public ones are usually not gas or propane fueled. Instead the primary fuel used is charcoal briquettes. 

How common are products like this in the UK?
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/weber-weber-charcoal-7kg-p94953

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 11:40:09 AM »
Yeah,  every single state, local and many of the national parks in the DC metro area have charcoal grills available.  It's first come, first serve.

covered pavilion areas are typically reserved and have a fee associated

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »
Yeah,  every single state, local and many of the national parks in the DC metro area have charcoal grills available.  It's first come, first serve.

covered pavilion areas are typically reserved and have a fee associated

The same applies here.  Covered  pavilions in public parks are usually leased to a house of worship or a local charity for a Fund Raiser. Sometimes, a family will rent a pavilion for a Wedding reception or anniversary party.   

veryfluffy

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 12:41:31 PM »

Public ones are usually not gas or propane fueled. Instead the primary fuel used is charcoal briquettes. 

How common are products like this in the UK?
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/weber-weber-charcoal-7kg-p94953

Very common. We can get briquettes or I prefer the quick-lighting lumpwood charcoal. A lot of people who cook outside like to have a gas BBQ, but we use an ordinary one. When it's nice in summer we cook dinner outside most days that we have time.