Author Topic: The BBC  (Read 1285 times)

barkingmad

Re: The BBC
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »
I would be thrilled to pay that kind of money to get the BBC,

123sandy

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 05:07:05 AM »
I am not happy with the BBC! First they cancel Ripper Street and now Silk? Not happy at all... :(

Margo

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 08:26:56 AM »
It's an absolute bargain - you have to pay if you have equipment capable of getting live TV. So if you don't watch live TVC, and only watch 'catchup' on i-player  you don't have to have a licence.

the fee is per household, so if you are a student living in a dorm,strictly speaking every student should have their own licence (assuming they have a TV in their room!)

People who are over 75 get a free licence, and those who are blind get a discount. If you only have a black & white TV the licence fee is only 50 instead of 145.

The BBC has a charter which requires it to produce a range of programming, which is one of the reasons why we have things like the programmes David Attenborough makes, the Open University etc.

I think 145  for good quality ad-free TV is astonishing value. Other terrestrial channels such as ITV and Channel 4 do get some public funding, but not as much, and of course the TV licence also helps fund BBC Radio (including local radio) But less than 40p a day for things like Doctor Who, Life of Mars, Sherlock,  I Claudius, Pride and Prejudice..

Mitch Benn says it best: http://youtu.be/p3q2iZuU5WM

It has to be said, however, that BBC news reporting is no longer the gold standard it used to be.

(I didn't know they were cancelling  'Silk'. Pity,as I like a good laugh.

paintpots

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 11:04:57 AM »
I love the BBC - would listen to Radio 4 all day if I didn't have to get work done, and I love listening to it while I'm pottering about the house. Quality programmes, risk taking tv shows (e.g.  all the foreign language crime dramas) and no adverts? Worth every penny.

Cherry91

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 11:32:22 AM »
While I was in student halls in my first year, we'd all get a letter about once a month demanding that we register for a TV license. Even though no one on the floor needed one due to the communal TV in the living room.

The thing was, a lot of people on the floor were gamers, so they had TVs to hook up to their consoles, but there wasn't an option on the forms to say that.

Bobbie

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 01:24:33 PM »
US here.  We have DirecTV and have 100+ channels.  My husband watches a lot of sports so the satellite is essential  :D. Cause every family needs 6 ESPN (sports channels)and the Outdoor channel and the Discovery and History Channels and AMC for The Walking Dead and NFL Sunday Ticket ;).
For regular TV (NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, etc) about 12-20 channels its free with a digital box.  A few years ago the government required that all feeds be digital so a box was needed.  They gave each person a $40 voucher to buy one.  You just have to an antennae in some viewing markets but you hook it to your TV and its free. There are many choices (DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, Verizon etc) for extra channels if you pay a monthly fee.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 02:25:38 PM »
US here.  We have DirecTV and have 100+ channels.  My husband watches a lot of sports so the satellite is essential  :D. Cause every family needs 6 ESPN (sports channels)and the Outdoor channel and the Discovery and History Channels and AMC for The Walking Dead and NFL Sunday Ticket ;).
For regular TV (NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, etc) about 12-20 channels its free with a digital box.  A few years ago the government required that all feeds be digital so a box was needed.  They gave each person a $40 voucher to buy one.  You just have to an antennae in some viewing markets but you hook it to your TV and its free. There are many choices (DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, Verizon etc) for extra channels if you pay a monthly fee.
*waves* This is me. 

Although I think there are 9 ESPN channels now :D

nyarlathotep

• My other blade is Vorpal
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 03:08:16 PM »
IMO it's a huge waste of money. The BBC is heavily biased and the quality of programmes is debatable. 

[...]
As for the bolded, BBC coverage is generally recognised globally as being the 'gold standard' of news reporting.  Every political party accuses it of being biased against them; that generally means the journalists are doing their job properly  ;)
[...]

POD! In my experience, the Left tend to say that the BBC is biased to the Right, and the Right tend to say that the BBC is biased to the Left - I think it's a case of neither side being pandered to!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 04:28:19 PM »
They say that about the ABC here, but they're going to cut funding again soon :(

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 04:29:53 AM »
Yes. It doesn't matter if you never watch BBC. The licence is for the household to have a TV.  :)

That seems crazy to me.  But I'm sure you guys think we are crazy for paying big bucks to have 5 million cable channels that we never watch :)

It started out that way for historical reasons. At first, when the BBC was founded in 1922 they were the only radio broadcaster and people had to buy a radio licence. Then when they started broadcasting TV in 1936 people had to buy a TV licence, and after many years the radio licence was phased out.

Commercial TV started in 1955, and commercial radio stations were later licenced in the sixties. But you still had to have a TV licence, even if all you watched was ITV (the commercial station) It has carried on in the same way since then.
NE England

veryfluffy

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 05:58:14 AM »
The anomaly is that now you can listen to the radio without a license, and you can watch catch-up TV without a license, even though these things are paid for out of the license fee. If they are moving channels to Internet-only, then that also means that despite paying my license fee, some of what I pay for will become unavailable.