A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Public BBQs

(1/9) > >>

CakeEater:
I was watching a stand-up comedian from the UK where he expressed surprise about public BBQs in Australia.

Does any other country have these in parks, or is it just us?

menley:
A lot of parks in the US have public little charcoal grills, if that's what you mean?

CakeEater:
We have gas BBQs. You go, push a button, the gas starts, BBQ heats up and you cook. They're maintained by local councils.

They often look like this:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BBQ_located_in_Capital_Park_in_Lyndhurst.jpg

English1:
I'm UK and not sure what you mean by public bbq. Is it where an open event is advertised and people bring their own food to cook at ready lit bbqs? (my guess).

If it's just bbq facilities in parks, then it isn't completely unknown in the UK. Well, I know of one country park that does it. BBQs are usually banned in parks. But this one has a special bbq area of little sections surrounded by small wooden fences (solid enough to sit on) and a gravel area for a bbq to sit on. You have to hire one of their own bbqs and buy their charcoal. I used to go most Sundays for a walk and it was extremely popular with what looked like a large extended Greek or Turkish family or community - they'd have most of the areas and be cooking very delicious-smelling half-lambs on them with grandmas and kids and all sorts on a day out.

Psychopoesie:

--- Quote from: English1 on December 15, 2013, 07:06:38 AM ---I'm UK and not sure what you mean by public bbq. Is it where an open event is advertised and people bring their own food to cook at ready lit bbqs? (my guess).

If it's just bbq facilities in parks, then it isn't completely unknown in the UK. Well, I know of one country park that does it. BBQs are usually banned in parks. But this one has a special bbq area of little sections surrounded by small wooden fences (solid enough to sit on) and a gravel area for a bbq to sit on. You have to hire one of their own bbqs and buy their charcoal. I used to go most Sundays for a walk and it was extremely popular with what looked like a large extended Greek or Turkish family or community - they'd have most of the areas and be cooking very delicious-smelling half-lambs on them with grandmas and kids and all sorts on a day out.

--- End quote ---

Public bbqs in Oz are bbq facilities in public parks (like in the pic cakeeater posted). There doesn't have to be an advertised event to use them. The bbqs (gas or electric) are there for the public to use just like the rest of the park. You (general you) and friends just rock up with your meat (or whatever you're bbqing) and away you go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version