Author Topic: Public BBQs  (Read 3815 times)

CakeEater

Re: Public BBQs
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 03:48:55 PM »
Never seen a public gas grill but that's neat! Are the monitored or on a timer ? I'd be afraid of people accidentally or purposefully leaving them on.

The small metal boxes with a grate kind are common in remoter parks here- the ones on a heavy metal pole. Not in city parks as much - I don think the bi-laws tend to allow it.

They're on a timer as far as I know.

Here's a blog post that explains them a little bit:

http://australiakaki.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/the-great-aussie-public-bbq-cook-out.html

They're in many, many parks just about everywhere here.

Rohanna

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 05:19:21 PM »
That is extremely awesome- I'm envious!
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Promise

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 06:23:35 PM »
In the midwest of the US, our public park bbq grills look like this.

http://parkslopestoop.com/blog/events/so-you-want-to-barbecue-at-prospect-park-rules-guidelines

You bring your own charcoal, lighter fluid and lighter. Some are bigger, but this is generally what we see here.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 06:38:24 PM »

http://parkslopestoop.com/blog/events/so-you-want-to-barbecue-at-prospect-park-rules-guidelines

You bring your own charcoal, lighter fluid and lighter. Some are bigger, but this is generally what we see here.

Yup those are the ones here in the DC area as well. 

Bluenomi

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 10:33:06 PM »
Australian ones are always gas because anything with a live flame or coals is far too much of a fire risk. When there is a total fire ban they are usually deactivated just in case. Some are free, others cost a dollar or 2 and are coin operated.

English1

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 04:09:06 AM »
Those all look great.  While I know of that one example, this isn't really something parks provide in the UK. Could be because of our climate: you can never tell if you can actually hold a bbq or not for sure until about 10 minutes beforehand  ;D, and even if you have one it's handy to be able to run indoors instead if the weather turns. We've had a lovely summer this year, but some years are quite rainy.

perpetua

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 05:30:42 AM »
Those all look great.  While I know of that one example, this isn't really something parks provide in the UK. Could be because of our climate: you can never tell if you can actually hold a bbq or not for sure until about 10 minutes beforehand  ;D, and even if you have one it's handy to be able to run indoors instead if the weather turns. We've had a lovely summer this year, but some years are quite rainy.

Heh, that's true, many a planned BBQ in our climate ends up a bedraggled washout with everyone heading to the kebab shop instead :-D

These look like a great idea but... I guess I'd be a little concerned about hygiene. Do they get cleaned regularly? Or is there something magical about BBQing that means it doesn't need to be? (can you tell I don't own a BBQ?)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 09:12:09 AM »
Well they get very hot.  hot enough to burn off any fat and other residue left. 

I also think that the park maintenance people come around and give them a cleaning at least once a week. 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 03:15:38 PM »

Heh, that's true, many a planned BBQ in our climate ends up a bedraggled washout with everyone heading to the kebab shop instead :-D

These look like a great idea but... I guess I'd be a little concerned about hygiene. Do they get cleaned regularly? Or is there something magical about BBQing that means it doesn't need to be? (can you tell I don't own a BBQ?)
I doubt it, but a barbecue is usually near an accessible tap. My dad always bought a bottle filled with water and gave it a good cleaning before starting.

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 06:02:24 PM »
Australian ones are always gas because anything with a live flame or coals is far too much of a fire risk. When there is a total fire ban they are usually deactivated just in case. Some are free, others cost a dollar or 2 and are coin operated.

Not always gas, Bluenomi. In Brisbane you'll find stainless steel electric ones.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 06:25:06 PM »
Yeah,  every single state, local and many of the national parks in the DC metro area have charcoal grills available.  It's first come, first serve.

covered pavilion areas are typically reserved and have a fee associated

It's the same in New Jersey. I have lots of happy memories of BBQ'ing in the park as a kid.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

dawbs

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 06:33:35 PM »
This does get extra complicated because of the BBQ/Grill confusion mentioned earlier.

In the southern US, generally speaking, BBQ is not synonymous with heating meat on a grill--it's slow cooking.
In a lot of the rest of the US, BBQ is used to mean anything heated on a grill.

(summary here:  http://shine.yahoo.com/southern-food/bbq-v-grilling-whats-the-difference-2495209.html :)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 09:47:58 PM »

Yup those are the ones here in the DC area as well.

Same in Florida and Texas.

Our park pavilions are first come, first serve for the smallest and by fee for the largest.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 09:56:04 PM »
As a Texan in Florida, BBQ means slow smoked meat.

I am always baffled when someone talks about BBQ meaning hot dogs and burgers.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 11:49:17 AM »
As a Texan in Florida, BBQ means slow smoked meat.

I am always baffled when someone talks about BBQ meaning hot dogs and burgers.

True. Growing up in the upper midwest, BBQing was throwing anything on the grill. When I lived in FL BBQing was the red sauce or vinegar-based slow-cooked meat (nothing like southern BBQ!). The other thing was grilling or cooking out.