Author Topic: Public BBQs  (Read 3293 times)

MurPl1

Re: Public BBQs
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2014, 02:17:44 AM »
My mother grew up in Illinois but has been in Texas 20 years.  Married to California man for 40.  She still invites us over for BBQ- hot dogs.  My DH, born and bred in Dallas, always laughs because he has such a different interpretation.  And I'll say being married to him and also raising a Dallas girl, I'm firmly in the BBQ as low and slow, yummy brisket camp. :)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 11:01:06 AM »
I'm in NYC and grew up in the lower Hudson Valley.  Even there, back yard affairs with hot dogs and hamburgers were called 'cook outs'.

A barbecue was a much more elaborate affair that involved ribs, chicken or a brisket.  The only place hot dogs would have at any barbecue worthy of the name would be sliced into the baked beans. 

lowspark

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 11:16:16 AM »
The terms barbecue and grill are definitely totally different things in my book but the two words have evolved to be synonymous (with the word barbecue being used when grill is what is meant) most likely because you barbecue on a grill. But yeah, barbecue means to slow cook over hours on the grill while grill means you slap the meat on the grill, flip it after a few minutes, and then a few minutes later, it's ready to eat.

You grill hot dogs, burgers, steaks. You barbecue brisket, ribs.

And when I say You, I mean, not me. I love good barbecue and grilled food but although I love to cook, I like to do my cooking indoors. Grilling is my husband's domain. Barbecuing is for people who really know what they are doing, and those people are few.

Back on topic, the grills pictured in the link posted by a PP is exactly what we have here. People go to the park, take the time to light the charcoal while the kids play, then grill lunch or dinner. It's an all day affair.

JoW

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 10:05:31 PM »
I remember those little grills in parks from my childhood.  I also remember seeing squirrels walking all over them.  They were always too dirty to suit my mother.  We had a table-top charcoal grill that we took to the park.  But when it was too hot to use on a wooden picnic table.  Those little grills were the perfect platform for our little grill.  And if we wanted to go home before the coals had burned out completely that little grill was a safe place to dump them. 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 12:32:47 AM »
I remember those little grills in parks from my childhood.  I also remember seeing squirrels walking all over them.  They were always too dirty to suit my mother.  We had a table-top charcoal grill that we took to the park.  But when it was too hot to use on a wooden picnic table.  Those little grills were the perfect platform for our little grill.  And if we wanted to go home before the coals had burned out completely that little grill was a safe place to dump them. 

Fire and alcohol cleans a lot of things

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 01:08:05 AM »
As a Texan in Florida, BBQ means slow smoked meat.

I am always baffled when someone talks about BBQ meaning hot dogs and burgers.
Hot dogs are boiled. Sausages (not the same thing at all) are BBQed here. Burgers, lamp chops, chicken or lamb skewers, steak and of course shrimp (prawns) are too.

Victoria

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 12:19:49 PM »
We don't boil hot dogs, but I know a lot of people do.

katycoo

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 05:48:27 PM »

In Australia, if its not a boiled frankfurt, its not a hotdog.  Its a sausage in a breadroll.

A hot dog is made with a frankfurt, not a sausage.  I've never tried grilling a frankfurt... maybe its good?

Psychopoesie

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 05:53:47 PM »

In Australia, if its not a boiled frankfurt, its not a hotdog.  Its a sausage in a breadroll.

A hot dog is made with a frankfurt, not a sausage.  I've never tried grilling a frankfurt... maybe its good?

Usually a Frankfurt, I agree.

Have seen some restaurants which use kransky in their hotdogs.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 09:18:25 AM »
Yes, we grill Frankfurters and that is what we call hot dogs.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2014, 09:21:09 AM »

Usually a Frankfurt, I agree.

Have seen some restaurants which use kransky in their hotdogs.
Yes that is quite popular too, a fancy hot dog, if you will and yummy.

Victoria

lowspark

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »

I love that old saying,
The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language.
And it applies to Australia as well.

We're speaking the same language but it often feels as if we aren't!  ;D

A picture is worth a thousand words (cliché #2)
Here's what I call a hot dog. Sometimes it's called a frankfurter although that term has slipped out of common usage.

Here's what a grilled hot dog in a bun might look like:

When someone says sausage, I would expect something more along the lines of this:

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2014, 12:11:24 PM »
And now I must have bratwurst.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2014, 12:31:11 PM »
I just had a grilled italian sausage with mac and cheese and crabmeat for lunch. I think I was inspired by this thread

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2014, 10:47:56 PM »
To me sausage is spicy. Hot dogs are kind of bland.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future