Author Topic: Cold carrot side dish?  (Read 662 times)

Chibikoky

Cold carrot side dish?
« on: December 15, 2013, 10:12:12 AM »
For our family Christmas party, we've been asked to bring sides, but my portion of the family lives 45 minutes away, and it's unlikely that the oven will be open to reheat. As for carrots, well...I have some carrots and I'm lazy and don't want to brave the grocery store.  :-[

Anyone have a good idea for a side dish made of carrots that's still tasty cold? I'm kind of tempted to just bring a carrot-only crudite platter...

greencat

Re: Cold carrot side dish?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 10:27:41 AM »
If you only live 45 minutes away, here's my suggestion.  Look at your cooler.  Find a casserole dish with a lid that fits in that cooler with some room to spare.  Line the inside of the cooler with foil.  Put a couple of towels down in the bottom of the cooler.  Make a baked carrot dish (candied?  Garlic buttered?) in that cooler-sized baking dish.  Make sure that you time it so that you're leaving just after you take the carrots out of the oven.  Put a layer of foil over the top, put the lid on top of the foil, and then wrap foil around the whole thing.  Put the entire baking dish in the cooler, and then fold the towels over it.  Close the cooler.  It will be nearly as hot when you get there as it was when you left the house.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 10:43:20 AM »
Does your family go for spicy? You can make a Moroccan style carrot salad  ( cooked, served cold) or some kind of carrot slaw ( raw), or a grated salad ( carrots, beets, kholrabi - all grated raw). Would any if these work?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

NyaChan

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
Does your family go for spicy? You can make a Moroccan style carrot salad  ( cooked, served cold) or some kind of carrot slaw ( raw), or a grated salad ( carrots, beets, kholrabi - all grated raw). Would any if these work?

I agree with cicero - grated or shredded carrot salads can be quite good.  I did one with asiany dressing - rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, some brown sugar & I've also tried mint with a light yogurt based dressing.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 01:29:13 PM »
My Mom used to make a carrot salad that got better the longer it marinated.  I thought I had the recipe handy but I don't so you could google to see if you can find something similar.

It used chunks of carrot that I think were parcooked, it had some other veggies in it - onions and celery, I think - and a dressing of oil and vinegar and spices.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 02:03:39 PM »
If you have raisins, dried cranberries, or pineapples, google carrot and X salad. I love any of these.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »

greencat

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 05:27:32 PM »
Just a thought - what about carrot muffins or bread?

I also do this thing where I take my potato peeler to big carrots, then I toss the resulting lovely carrot "noodles" with honey and oil and fry them, then I use them cold on salads or as a snack. 

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 07:52:38 PM »

I love raw grated carrot salad.

Peel and grate carrots. Toss with some toasted cumin and mustard seeds, fresh lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and a touch of honey. Also good mixed with raw beets.

A cold pureed carrot and ginger soup could work well too - a recipe for a hot soup will work, but you might need to adjust the seasonings up a bit to compensate for the temperature.

sweetonsno

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 10:21:56 PM »
Here's another grated carrot salad recipe: grated carrots, minced garlic (raw, or nuked for a few seconds if the thought horrifies you), chopped tarragon, salt, pepper, red wine vinegar, olive oil.

You could also make roasted carrot spread if you have crackers laying around somewhere. Peel the carrots, blanch them, then toss in olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and cumin, and put 'em in the oven to roast until they are soft and getting brown in places. Whir in the blender with liquid of some sort. Orange juice? Veggie broth? Whatever you have on hand that sounds good. You may need to drizzle in some more olive oil if it lacks body.

You could also try to make some quick carrot pickles.

Library Dragon

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 03:28:50 AM »
Carrot salad is yummy. 

I like mine with olive oil, a dash of vinegar, salt, and pepper.  That's it. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 07:43:05 AM »
I think a nice, cool salad is wonderful to offset all the heavier dishes.

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 08:07:30 AM »
My favorite grated carrot salad is just just the grated carrots with a dash of (olive) oil, some orange or lemon juice and pieces of orange mixed in. We'll probably have that at Christmas, just because it's so nice and fresh.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 08:20:23 AM »
My favorite grated carrot salad is just just the grated carrots with a dash of (olive) oil, some orange or lemon juice and pieces of orange mixed in. We'll probably have that at Christmas, just because it's so nice and fresh.

Add a little grated ginger and, if you like, some coconut flakes. It is delicious!