Author Topic: switcheroos on standard recipes  (Read 910 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
switcheroos on standard recipes
« on: December 15, 2013, 10:22:18 AM »
Here is an example:
I really, really dislike the old standard green bean casserole with the mushroom soup and canned fried onions.
I was thinking of doing this and woinder if anyone had ever tried it:
Steam some frozen french cut green beans (or fresh if you are ambitious)
Thinly slice an onion and caramelize it (as for French onion soup) with a little garlic in extra virgin olive oil...maybe chopped onion would work better.
lightly caramelize some sliced mushrooms
Toast some sliced almonds.
Toss all together before serving with some salt and fresh ground  pepper and maybe a little sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

POF

Re: switcheroos on standard recipes
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »
Sounds yummy - I actually make my green bean casserole with from scratch white sauce and lots of mushrooms.  I add it to steamed green beans, top with a mix of buttered fresh bread crumbs and crispy onion rings.  Stick the broiler ot toast up ~!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 10:54:41 AM »
There are always ways to improve tired recipes by substituting fresh ingredients for canned or prepared.  We never made green bean casseroles in my family but these suggestions make the dish seem worth a try. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 10:55:41 AM »
That's not a new recipe, and it is a lot more low sodium friendly than Camplbell's green bean asserole as well as fresher tasting.

Just call it "Bi's green beans" and go with it.

Rohanna

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 11:12:22 AM »
Just make sure that you aren't serving it to an audience that *really* like and are expecting the "usual" kind- people can get funny about their traditional holiday food.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 11:19:52 AM »
It's a pretty common mixture. I'm not if I've done green beans with caramelized onions, mushrooms, and almonds, but I've done them with 1 or 2 of them. And I'd suggest roasting fresh green beans with the garlic them mixing with the onions and mushroom mixture and sprinkling with the roasted almonds.

Just don't call it green bean casserole or tell someone you'll bring it and then show up with this. Those who love the casserole will be in revolt.

In my family for about 4 decades, broccoli rice casserole ( called green rice in our family) has been at every Tday meal. One sister decided she would steam fresh broccoli, cook brown rice, and make a low calorie cheese sauce. So a casserole arrived with brown rice topped with fresh broccoli, and drizzled with a cheese sauce. My kids eat these items regularly, but you would have thought Christmas was cancelled when they were presented this healthy option when they were expecting the traditional item. 12 years later the joke is still "Don't let Aunt S make the green rice."

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
You guys are making me so hungry

I wouldn't make the green beans different from the original recipe if we were used to that one, but we haven't had those made the traditional way, I don't think.  Once my granddaughter made something similar and my son, who is a picky loves to cook guy, told me they were so good.  I should ask her how she made them.  Maybe I'm trying to reinvent the wheel.

Roasting green beans?  That sounds really like a way to go!  I've roasted asparagus before, skinny ones, with olive oil and garlic until the tips are a little crispy, then sprinkled with lemon juice after they come out of the oven.  They are wonderful.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

sweetonsno

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 12:59:09 AM »
Green beans, Brussels sprouts, and asparagus manage to be very tasty together. You can roast 'em or sear them in olive oil. All they need is salt and pepper. So good.

I also recommend trying shallots in place of onions. They're pretty nice.

Maude

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 06:27:47 AM »
No wonder you dislike it! It sounds absolutely DISGUSTING!