News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 04:57:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What would you prefer your workplace to do in December?

Catered lunch in the office during a normal workday
65 (15.8%)
Party in the office (employees only)
29 (7.1%)
Party in the office (employees and family members)
4 (1%)
Party in outside venue (employees with spouses)
34 (8.3%)
No party, just a bonus check
146 (35.5%)
Secret Santa within department
20 (4.9%)
Company-wide Secret Santa
4 (1%)
No Secret Santa at all
86 (20.9%)
Party in outside venue (employees only)
23 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 233

Author Topic: Your preference for the holidays (Two, two, two polls in one!)  (Read 8430 times)

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Your preference for the holidays (Two, two, two polls in one!)
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 11:50:05 AM »
I don't mind evening parties in expensive venues.  I love eating shrimp and lobster, but I can do without loud music.

I'd rather have the bonus check, though, if it came down to a choice.

MrTango

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 12:40:27 PM »
I'm fine with any of the party options as long as they are truly optional.  A couple years ago, I was working for a company where our department's Christmas party (yes, it was actually called a "Christmas" party) was at an off-site venue after work and officially it was "optional."  In reality, anyone who didn't attend was gossipped about for why they "ditched" the team.

Amara

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 12:57:52 PM »
Give me money and/or more paid days off. No parties regardless of where they are, and absolutely no Secret Santas. I work well with others, but I do not allow them to know any part of my private life and I have no intention of socializing with anyone I work with outside of required workshops and events.

blarg314

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 07:02:43 PM »

What I prefer - party inside office hours, paid for by the company. What they decide to do with that is up to them, based on logistics and budget - it can be in the office or out, invites SOs or not. But it should be optional.

Secret Santa - for smaller companies, skip it completely - there's more pressure on people to participate. For larger ones, it's okay if it's completely optional, and has to be opted into, rather than being opted out of, and is at the level of a token gift.

At my current job, the headquarters have gotten snotty about the Wei-ya. In the past, it's been a meal and hot springs during office hours, with transportation provided. HQ has decreed that if it is inside office hours, we have to take a vacation day to attend. But that excludes most of the postdocs, who get very little vacation time due to government rules (and don't get any the first year). And outside of office hours, it means finding a babysitter, or hauling the kids along (allowed, but the employee pays for +1s, and little kids and hotsprings aren't a good mix).

PitBullMom

• Punish the deed, not the breed!
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 07:26:22 PM »
I voted for an outside party with spouses and no secret santa.

I like seeing my coworkers and their SO's outside of work, socializing and having a good time in a festive atmosphere. I've always had a good time at those kinds of Christmas parties.

One company I worked for gave everyone bonuses and then the owner hosted a big party at his place in mid to late January. He lives on several acres in an out-of-the-way area and we'd have a huge oyster roast with a bonfire. Employees would bring all kinds of food and beverages and it was always a great time. I liked that it was in January, because December is already so busy
~PitBullMom

Don't breed or buy while homeless pets die.  Adopt your soul pet at your local animal shelter.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 07:35:02 PM »

What I prefer - party inside office hours, paid for by the company. What they decide to do with that is up to them, based on logistics and budget - it can be in the office or out, invites SOs or not. But it should be optional.

Secret Santa - for smaller companies, skip it completely - there's more pressure on people to participate. For larger ones, it's okay if it's completely optional, and has to be opted into, rather than being opted out of, and is at the level of a token gift.

At my current job, the headquarters have gotten snotty about the Wei-ya. In the past, it's been a meal and hot springs during office hours, with transportation provided. HQ has decreed that if it is inside office hours, we have to take a vacation day to attend. But that excludes most of the postdocs, who get very little vacation time due to government rules (and don't get any the first year). And outside of office hours, it means finding a babysitter, or hauling the kids along (allowed, but the employee pays for +1s, and little kids and hotsprings aren't a good mix).

I had never heard about the Wei-ya tradition - had to wiki it.  How interesting!
If my employer offered a visit to the hot springs, I'd go! (but probably not on my personal time)

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 08:21:06 PM »
Hot springs?  If that means getting into a bathing suit in front of my colleagues I'd opt out.  That's a boundary I don't cross.

HelenB

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 03:03:38 PM »
My company has always done a holiday party during work hours. At one point the company paid for the lunch, but now it's a potluck (company provides the paper plates and plasticwear :-)). I like it because I can socialize with my coworkers during on "on" time (as opposed to "off" time).

I've told this one on the site somewhere before, but the company my husband used to work for did parties in the evening on a Saturday, usually in January so it was a less busy time.  The first few times we went were great fun -- they held it at places like  history museums and  zoos, and we could walk around and see the exhibits before/after dinner. Each division would have a party in the town where they're located.

The last one we went to, the company decided to have one big party for all divisions in the town where the company's headquarters are.  And, during the day before the party, there would be "optional" classes and meetings for the employees. Spouses were invited to the party, but not to the meetings.  The company would pay for a hotel room that night, but children were not invited (so, parents would have to find overnight babysitters). 

They held it on a Saturday.  In Fargo, North Dakota.   In January.  They put out a memo saying that they would have a shuttle to take "the wives" out shopping while the meetings were going on.  We're from Minneapolis, so shopping in Fargo was not high on my list of things to do.  (For non mid-westerners, the population of Fargo is about 100,000. The Minneapolis/St Paul area has a population of 3.28 million.)

Many people said that they'd never go to one of those parties again, no matter how "optional" the meetings before were.  This is how *not* to do a holiday party.

Lynn2000

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 06:18:14 PM »
Had lunch with my friend Amy today and was reminded of this thread. Her department's holiday lunch was being held right then, which she had skipped to go to lunch with me (her idea, I knew nothing of it). So, workday lunch, to which spouses and kids were invited. And people had to buy their own meals. She didn't feel like she was missing anything.

She doesn't like the workday lunch + bring your spouse because she thinks it's unrealistic--her DH works during the day, is he supposed to take a vacation (half) day, of which he gets very few, to attend this? She feels like it's a holdover from when her substantially male department was all male, with wives most likely homemakers, who could bring the kiddies in for lunch all dressed up with little problem. That's just her thoughts on the matter, I thought they fit here. :)
~Lynn2000

kckgirl

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 06:38:15 PM »
I work for the government, so there are no Christmas bonuses, and we have to pay for our own parties. We're having a local restaurant cater our lunch and then we're playing the gift exchange game (three swaps and it's dead).
Maryland

blarg314

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 12:37:24 AM »
Hot springs?  If that means getting into a bathing suit in front of my colleagues I'd opt out.  That's a boundary I don't cross.

I was at a professional conference last year that involved naked hot springs (segregated by gender, though). The hot springs were entirely optional, but as I was one of the few non-Japanese there, it was a culturally a bit disorienting.

FoxPaws

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 12:47:09 AM »
I was at a professional conference last year that involved naked hot springs (segregated by gender, though). The hot springs were entirely optional, but as I was one of the few non-Japanese there, it was a culturally a bit disorienting.
:o I get rattled seeing my colleagues out of uniform - I'm not sure I'd recover from this.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Sara Crewe

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2013, 02:38:17 AM »
The company I've just left did an offsite meal during working hours without spouses.  They arranged a coach from the office to the site and then back.  The first year, they tried to say that anyone who didn't go had to stay in the office but one of the senior assistants (a major queen bee but it worked in the other employees' favour that time) threw a diva fit so they decided that anyone who didn't want to go could have an extra half day holiday.  Most people seem to like it since a lot of people go (you have to sign up in October and pick your meal).