Author Topic: What real-life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to?  (Read 83836 times)

Dawse

Re: What real-life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to?
« Reply #165 on: December 20, 2013, 07:39:51 AM »
I think you've all got most of mine - and given me plenty of reading material!

A couple I'd like to know -

What happened to Federico Lorca? He was a Spanish poet and playwright who is assumed to have been executed at the start of the Spanish civil war, but his body has never been found.

What really happened to the Russian royal family? I know that all their remains have now been found, but there was clearly enough doubt and uncertainty over their deaths to inspire stories of Anastasia having survived. We studied the Russian revolution in secondary school (admittedly a while ago) and I remember there were several conflicting accounts of the events.

And my personal favourite mystery - what is the Black Shuck? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Shuck
This is fairly local to my parents and where I grew up, and is nearly always mentioned in those 'local mystery' books you find in small town bookshops. I'd just love to know what it was, and what really happened in Bungay church!
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

Miss March

« Reply #166 on: December 20, 2013, 08:40:42 AM »
Here's an interesting mystery- Ken McElroy routinely terrorized the town of Skidmore, Missouri, but he kept escaping facing charges for any of his crimes. So one day, two townsfolk took matters into their own hands and shot him in broad daylight, in the middle of a large crowd of onlookers. And NO ONE who witnessed the event ever gave up the identity of the shooter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_McElroy
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #167 on: December 20, 2013, 10:17:18 AM »
Jack the Ripper was identified back in the day, I thought, but he committed suicide and his identity wasn't revealed out of respect for his family. I can't remember the name of the Victorian history book I read in grad school that put forth the evidence, unfortunately, but it seemed pretty cut-and-dried to me. It wasn't someone well known now, is about all I remember.

Looking around online now doesn't suggest any kind of consensus, though, so maybe the evidence wasn't as cut-and-dried as it seemed to me at the time.

I too am curious about the princes in the Tower (I'm a fervent Ricardian).

RE: Jack the Ripper; I was listening to the radio one day and this guy came on talking about his theory of his real identity. He believes that JtR was Van Gogh. As in Vincent, the famed artist. There is a website dedicated to it:  http://vincentaliasjack.com/

Check it out! It's interesting.

Note: I'm not saying I buy into his theory. Just that it is interesting.

I have a hard time taking anyone who says van Gogh was always respected by the public seriously. Then, the author says that people are unaware that van Gogh drank (the bohemian artist and absinthe link is ridiculously strong) and relationships with prostitutes (look at his paintings! how many of the women are prostitutes?). Guess what? Single men in the 19th century visited prostitutes (a cheap Paris prostitute would see 10 men an hour, on average) and drank. Sure, you wouldn't mention that in polite society but artists' circles weren't exactly genteel. His father died of a heart attack in front of the family house- turning that into a murder does require some creativity.

I took a look at the hidden images the author identifies and all I can say is "Huh?"

I am not going to spend my hard earned money (or give money to this guy) in order to get all the details.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #168 on: December 20, 2013, 10:30:59 AM »
Jack the Ripper was identified back in the day, I thought, but he committed suicide and his identity wasn't revealed out of respect for his family. I can't remember the name of the Victorian history book I read in grad school that put forth the evidence, unfortunately, but it seemed pretty cut-and-dried to me. It wasn't someone well known now, is about all I remember.

Looking around online now doesn't suggest any kind of consensus, though, so maybe the evidence wasn't as cut-and-dried as it seemed to me at the time.

I too am curious about the princes in the Tower (I'm a fervent Ricardian).

RE: Jack the Ripper; I was listening to the radio one day and this guy came on talking about his theory of his real identity. He believes that JtR was Van Gogh. As in Vincent, the famed artist. There is a website dedicated to it:  http://vincentaliasjack.com/

Check it out! It's interesting.

Note: I'm not saying I buy into his theory. Just that it is interesting.

I have a hard time taking anyone who says van Gogh was always respected by the public seriously. Then, the author says that people are unaware that van Gogh drank (the bohemian artist and absinthe link is ridiculously strong) and relationships with prostitutes (look at his paintings! how many of the women are prostitutes?). Guess what? Single men in the 19th century visited prostitutes (a cheap Paris prostitute would see 10 men an hour, on average) and drank. Sure, you wouldn't mention that in polite society but artists' circles weren't exactly genteel. His father died of a heart attack in front of the family house- turning that into a murder does require some creativity.

I took a look at the hidden images the author identifies and all I can say is "Huh?"

I am not going to spend my hard earned money (or give money to this guy) in order to get all the details.

Well, you know, he did hang out with Doctor Who for a bit.  Things like that can change a man.....

I do have to agree with Lady Disdain, the whole "hidden images" thing is not just a stretch for me, it's a whole broken elastic.

Still, it's interesting what lengths people will go to to nail down the ID of Jack.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #169 on: December 20, 2013, 10:38:12 AM »
I always crack up when I hear 'hidden messages/images' theories.

Yeah, because a person/group is going to go to GREAT PAINS to get away with murder/terrorism/world domination, but at the same time, they also want to play fair, so they'll leave public clues. Uhuh.  ::)

Kukla

« Reply #170 on: December 20, 2013, 11:50:55 AM »
After reading this article, I'd like to know who the babies/children were that cycled through her household and if she could be the person who kidnapped Paul Fronczack.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2013/12/linda_taylor_welfare_queen_ronald_reagan_made_her_a_notorious_american_villain.html

As for Ameilia Earhart they still aren't sure were she ended up, but there have been pieces of bones that have been located on an uninhabited island that may have belong to her or her co-pilot.  They don't believe that they'll ever find a full skeleton or larger bones due to the crabs disposing of them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/opinion/sunday/amelia-earhart-found-and-lost.html?pagewanted=all

veronaz

« Reply #171 on: December 20, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »
I remember when Iowa news anchor Jodi Huisentruit disappeared (apparent abduction).  Perodically there is a story about her on TV )most recently a few weeks ago), and 18 yrs later she has never been found.  She was legally declared dead in 2001.

Definitely a strange, mysterious case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodi_Huisentruit

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #172 on: December 20, 2013, 02:20:34 PM »
Adam Walsh - check out the book "Bringing Adam Home" by Lee Standiford and Joe Matthews.  It is a heart-wrenching read, but it includes some very definitive physical evidence that convinced John Walsh and his wife that Otis O'Toole was responsible.
POD.  I read it last year, and it was excellent. 
Along the lines of the "why", I want to better understand Jim Jones.  Was he mentally ill?  Did he truly believe what he preached?
I'll get there.  Eventually.

Firecat

« Reply #173 on: December 20, 2013, 02:43:41 PM »
To diverge just a wee bit from the topic, I often want to know the WHY of some of these mysteries. With Jack the Ripper, why did he stop killing? He was so prolific in such a short time, then stopped.

I would suspect that he either moved or died.

The one set of theories I don't buy is when they try to pin his crimes onto poisoners such as Neal Cream. They are two very different types of murders, and I think that they would be committed by two very different types of people.

Moved, died, got put in prison, or was injured/became ill so that he could not physically commit the crimes anymore.

I don't buy that he would have suddenly switched to poison either. I think he was clearly devolving, considering what he did to Mary Kelly. He wouldn't suddenly switch to a much more restrained method of killing.

I've seen two of the crime scenes photos of Mary Kelly. I've always been glad they're not in color - they're horrifying enough in black and white!

I tend to think that the Ripper either left, died (either naturally, through suicide, or possibly even through being a murder victim himself - Whitechapel was a very rough area in those days), or was arrested and jailed for something else. I do think that, whoever the Ripper was, he was local to Whitechapel. He seemed to know the area very well, and he'd have had to be able to blend in.

Editeer

« Reply #174 on: December 20, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »
What happened to Ambrose Bierce?
Who shot JFK and why? (I'm not a conspiracy theorist--I would just like to know for sure.)
Who killed Dr Jeffrey MacDonald's wife and children in 1970? Did he really do it himself, or was it the four hippies?
Where the heck are my fleece hat and gloves?  :)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #175 on: December 20, 2013, 03:09:55 PM »
When I was younger, one of my Jack the Ripper theories was the killer is really a woman whose husband enjoys visiting the "ladies of the night."

eltf177

« Reply #176 on: December 20, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »
Here's an interesting mystery- Ken McElroy routinely terrorized the town of Skidmore, Missouri, but he kept escaping facing charges for any of his crimes. So one day, two townsfolk took matters into their own hands and shot him in broad daylight, in the middle of a large crowd of onlookers. And NO ONE who witnessed the event ever gave up the identity of the shooter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_McElroy

This was made into a movie back in I think the late 80's, IIRC Brian Dennehy played McElroy. He and his entire family were made out to be one step short of demons...

PL*YB*Y actually did a story on this back in the early 80's. The author's opinion was that this guy was nowhere near as evil as everyone else made him out to be and that the jealous townspeople (supposedly McElroy was smarter than they and did better) basically executed him for little reason. And no, I didn't buy it.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: December 20, 2013, 06:13:31 PM »
What happened to Ambrose Bierce?
Who shot JFK and why? (I'm not a conspiracy theorist--I would just like to know for sure.)
Who killed Dr Jeffrey MacDonald's wife and children in 1970? Did he really do it himself, or was it the four hippies?
Where the heck are my fleece hat and gloves?  :)

I knew a doctor who went to med school with McDonald. I asked him if he thought he was capable of the murders and my friend said, unequivocally and without hesitation, "yes". I admit I must have asked him why but I don't remember what he said.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #178 on: December 20, 2013, 06:20:41 PM »
Did Dr Crippen really kill his wife?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #179 on: December 20, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »
When I was younger, one of my Jack the Ripper theories was the killer is really a woman whose husband enjoys visiting the "ladies of the night."
One book that I read suggested that if Jack was a woman, she was a midwife.  Perfect excuse for bloodstained clothes, and someone trusted by most women, even prostitutes.  If Jack was a man, perhaps he was a butcher.  Again, a reason for having bloodstained clothes, and a likely reason for the surgical expertise of the dismemberment.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~