Author Topic: I am intelligent and articulate, but I cannot say the word....  (Read 8069 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: I am intelligent and articulate, but I cannot say the word....
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2013, 11:41:12 AM »
When I married my X-DH I married into a family with deep southern roots. Being a northerner by birth, it was a bit of a shock to move to a place where southern accents were the norm. He had a cousin whose name is Cheryl. Everyone called her, "Churl." It was a few years before I found out that her name was spelled Cheryl:o

Zizi-K

« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2013, 01:13:31 PM »
I once pronounced corollary as co-ROLL-a-ry instead of COR-oll-ary to the delight and mirth of my colleagues. I felt a little vindicated when I looked it up, and the dictionary said that I was using the British pronunciation (I'm American).

Calistoga

« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2013, 03:50:24 AM »
I know I have a "normal" word or two I always mess up since I read them before I heard them... but the only one I can think of right now is Quinoa.

I say (to myself) "kwin-noa". When it is "kin-wa" or "ke(short e)n-wa".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KcQmBCM3JMs

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2013, 01:35:11 PM »
I can't say the German word for Austro-Hungarian. I still remember scanning ahead to see what section I would have to read aloud and silently groaning when seeing that particular word.

squeakers

« Reply #109 on: December 24, 2013, 02:55:07 AM »
I know I have a "normal" word or two I always mess up since I read them before I heard them... but the only one I can think of right now is Quinoa.

I say (to myself) "kwin-noa". When it is "kin-wa" or "ke(short e)n-wa".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KcQmBCM3JMs

Great... now I will mispronounce it even more mangled LOL!  ;D
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #110 on: December 24, 2013, 04:16:34 AM »
I realized today that I stop and think before saying jewelry each time. I want to say jew-le-ry.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #111 on: December 24, 2013, 10:33:50 AM »
I realized today that I stop and think before saying jewelry each time. I want to say jew-le-ry.

Etsy lets you tag each item you're selling with several words to help people search.  When I end up with fewer good tags than the site allows, I tag with things like "jewlery" or "pendent."  You'd be amazed how many hits those terms turn up.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #112 on: December 24, 2013, 11:15:46 AM »

I don't have trouble pronouncing that particular word, but I do use that trick to remember how to spell "jewelry"- I misspelled it all the time until I realized that it begins with the word "jewel".

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #113 on: December 24, 2013, 05:43:02 PM »
February always ges me.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2014, 10:20:33 PM »
The one Anthony always gets hung up on is "Normalcy"
"After all this time?"
"Always."

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2014, 10:31:41 PM »
When I married my X-DH I married into a family with deep southern roots. Being a northerner by birth, it was a bit of a shock to move to a place where southern accents were the norm. He had a cousin whose name is Cheryl. Everyone called her, "Churl." It was a few years before I found out that her name was spelled Cheryl:o

The actress Ginnifer Goodwin was christened Jennifer. She's from Memphis and changed the spelling to Ginnifer so people would pronounce it the way she was used to hearing it pronounced.

I know two older Southern gentleman named Beryl -- first name for one, middle for the other. Both pronounce it like Burl Ives. Before I met them, I always thought of Beryl as a female name, pronounced to rhyme with (the Northern pronunciation of) Cheryl.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

blackthumb

« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2014, 07:08:09 AM »
Gazpacho. I can make my mouth form the correct sounds, but not without all of my concentration.

A few years ago I was waiting tables and the soup of the day was gazpacho.
I greeted one of my tables and began to tell them the specials and I slipped.
The two very nice gentlemen were very amused when I informed them that our soup that day was gestapo.
I, on the other hand, was mortified.

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2014, 11:46:36 AM »
Worchestershire

I can hear in my head how it is supposed to sound but cannot make those sounds come out if my mouth.  Drives me nuts!

Calistoga

« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2014, 12:09:13 PM »
So I realized this one yesterday, and it's been bugging me ever since.

I can't say pants without the T disappearing. I have to say it in two chunks to get that T in there- Pan- Ts.

If I just say it in one goes it sounds like pans.

bloo

« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2014, 01:03:12 PM »
Realtor. It used to roll off my tongue as 're-uhl-ter'.

Listening to DH say, 'ree-luh-ter' has influenced me to have to stop and think about the pronunciation as I've found myself saying it similarly.

Also I can't seem to remember to pronounce decrepit properly. I keep wanting to say 'dek-ruh-pit' instead of 'dee-krep-it'