Author Topic: My DD's apartment mate  (Read 5046 times)

bopper

• Super Hero!
My DD's apartment mate
« on: December 17, 2013, 06:32:06 PM »
My DD told me this one....She and Julie share an quasi-university affiliated apartment.  My DD is graduating this semester, so has to find a subletter.  Julie's mom has stopped paying for her college (she is past 4 years in college) as of next semester, so is looking for a subletter so she can find cheaper housing.

Julie asked DD if she found a subletter that would pay full rent, could she let Julie have that subletter and then my DD could maybe get a subletter that would not pay full rent (as we are still supporting my DD (although not completely as this was her choice to get a full year lease!).

Uh, no...it was easy in that the only subletter showing interest would not pay the full rent as there were many other options for them.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: My DD's apartment mate
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 06:51:13 PM »
I am a bit confused: Do both girls pay the same amount in rent?  How could one subletter pay "full rent" and the other pay less?

In any event, Julie is responsible for finding her own subletter.  Any subletter your DD finds gets to take her place.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

mime

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 07:23:30 PM »
So Julie basically wants you to be on the hook when/if she can't find someone to cover her share of the rent? I've said it before: it's so easy to spend other people's money! Hopefully Julie will eventually grow up a bit and understand how silly she sounds.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »
I swear I've seen something similar on Judge Judy (many times).  Julie is responsible for finding her own subletter.  Your DD is doing what is right and finding one to replace her.

alice

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
I had this happen to me in college.  4 of us rented an apartment.  The lease started in July, and school didn't start until Sept so I needed to either find a rentor for 2 months, or pay the rent myself. I advertised and found someone.  She moved in while I was at home (not at the college) and then when the rent was due, she told me she moved into my other roommates room and paid her rent.  Never told.  I had to come up with the rent.  Don't let your dd's roommate take your rentor when you find one!

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 11:07:54 AM »
I am a bit confused: Do both girls pay the same amount in rent?  How could one subletter pay "full rent" and the other pay less?

Sometimes people will sublet and charge less than their full share of the rent. It's better to have some of the money paid, instead of paying it all yourself. For example, if your share of the rent is $400, you might sublet for $300, and pay the additional $100 yourself.

But this sort of thing is worked out between the renter and the subleaser. Whatever your DD does, OP, have her get the arrangement in writing.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 05:54:47 PM »
Make sure that a subletter is allowed on your DDs lease. Many do not and your DD can be held liable for the rent and for any damage that the subletters do.  PLUS it could cause your DD to have problems renting in the future. It may be cheaper all around to pay a lease break fee (sometimes only 1 month's rent) instead of risking your credit and rental history.