News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 04:45:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Solution Found -Running into Ex-Coworkers  (Read 1686 times)

laughtermed

Solution Found -Running into Ex-Coworkers
« on: December 17, 2013, 08:22:49 PM »
I left my last workplace over a year ago on very unhappy terms and was re-employed shortly thereafter by another company.  I had always dreaded the possibility of running into ex-coworkers which is inevitable in our line of work.  Last month two of them approached me at an event and I was able to handle it by directing most of the conversation towards them;

1. How were their children?
2. Where did they do on vacation this year?

I added a few highlights of my summer vacation.

My goal was to not mention either the old or new workplace and this small talk did the trick.

aussie_chick

Re: Solution Found -Running into Ex-Coworkers
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 09:41:50 PM »
You did well! Good for you!
It could have been difficult and awkward but by directing the conversation you were able to avoid anything you did not want to talk about.

TootsNYC

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 10:02:55 PM »
Beaut!

cwm

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 09:29:49 AM »
Wonderful!

I've always found that if I don't want to talk about XYZ, I'll start the conversation about ABC, and steer it back to the beginning of the alphabet when it starts straying to the end.