Author Topic: When a certain VERY UNLIKELY location freezes over... how to celebrate?  (Read 2998 times)

Waterlight

Hi everyone,
First, a little background:  As I've mentioned in another thread, I'm a hardcore fan of a certain musician (more accurately, the group he's in).  My Seattle friends who are also fans were recently shocked to find out our favorite group is soon to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!  You see, we thought this would happen when a certain very unlikely location froze over  ;)

But I suggested, in the event that this Certain Very Unlikely Location DID freeze over, we celebrate with a party!

My question:  When we get together, our parties usually involve pizza, soft drinks, and DVD's of the group.  I was thinking of doing something else in addition to this--maybe providing ice cream or another frozen treat to go with the theme of the Certain Very Unlikely Location freezing over.  And maybe some ice-cold nonalcoholic punch (I have a good, simple recipe) or Kristian Regale nonalcoholic pear cider (the expensive stuff).  Ice-cold, of course  ;D

Do you think this would be enough for such a special occasion?  If not, what are your suggestions?

Thanks E-Hell!  The party is scheduled for the weekend after Christmas, so I'll post an update with what I actually did soon.

“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
Re: When a certain VERY UNLIKELY location freezes over... how to celebrate?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 11:29:20 PM »
A devils food cake with red icing?   Bowls of Red Hot candies? 

Library Dragon

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 11:46:33 PM »
Deviled eggs?

You can make flaming ice cubes for a theatrical moment:
http://chemistry.about.com/od/funfireprojects/a/iceonfire.htm

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

sweetonsno

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 12:49:57 AM »
Ice cream cake. On devil's food, of course. I also second the idea of having Red Hots.

Also, in honor of said band, why not serve some Indian food? Or Kraft mac-n-cheese, which was apparently a favorite of the lead singer.

Waterlight

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 01:08:38 AM »
Italian food actually works better for this band:  one member has said Italian food is a favorite of his, and the other is half-Italian  ;)

*thinks of getting a bag of Red Hots*

Red velvet cake (red devil's food) might also work with the theme, I think.
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 06:24:15 AM »
love these ideas.

when i read your post, i was thinking of other similar sentiments, such as "when pigs fly" (lots of food ideas there!) or on the twelfth of never (hmmm...)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

cwm

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 11:05:57 AM »
love these ideas.

when i read your post, i was thinking of other similar sentiments, such as "when pigs fly" (lots of food ideas there!) or on the twelfth of never (hmmm...)

I've always been a fan of February 30th, myself. It takes people a while to get it.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 07:07:17 PM »
Sorry, gotta ask -- which band?

sweetonsno

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 10:24:26 PM »
Italian food actually works better for this band:  one member has said Italian food is a favorite of his, and the other is half-Italian  ;)

*thinks of getting a bag of Red Hots*

Red velvet cake (red devil's food) might also work with the theme, I think.

Hmm. Maybe I have the wrong band. The one I was thinking of would go with Indian because its name is derived from a very Indian concept. Did they, perchance, wear a lot of flannel?

Kaypeep

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 10:39:50 PM »

I'm guessing Hall and Oates?  if it's them, then maybe some Philly themed food?  (Cheesesteak, soft pretzels?)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 11:16:12 PM »
Or KISS

Waterlight

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 12:14:07 AM »

I'm guessing Hall and Oates?  if it's them, then maybe some Philly themed food?  (Cheesesteak, soft pretzels?)

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!  We have a winner!  Though being a hardcore fan I have a pretty good idea how Hall & Oates like their cheesesteaks,  :)  at least one person at the party does not eat meat.  Pizza is one food all of us can agree on.

I've also done some research on the cuisine of Philadelphia, and found out a couple of interesting things:

1. An "Italian ice," popular in Philly, is similar to sorbet.  Which again fits with the "frozen over" theme  :)
2. Soft drinks were originally a Philadelphia invention!  A pharmacist from Philadelphia sold a drink made from fruit juice and carbonated water in 1807; Charles Elmer Hires (of root beer fame) first sold his root beer at a drugstore in Philadelphia.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:23:08 AM by Waterlight »

Library Dragon

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 01:26:55 AM »
Philly trolley tour guides like to proclaim that Ben Franklin's favorite was tomato ice cream. It would be red and frozen  ;) .

Okay, now I have Private Eyes running through my head.   8) Watching you. Watching you.  8)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

mime

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 03:21:20 PM »
I'd like a play on hot and cold together, like ice cream with chipotle fudge sauce.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 05:49:45 PM »

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!  We have a winner!

Well, then, I think you must serve Oatesmeal cookies . . .

and you're good to go with your nonalcoHallic pear cider.

;D