Author Topic: Christmas tipping  (Read 3807 times)

RubyCat

Christmas tipping
« on: December 18, 2013, 09:03:46 AM »
It's that time of year again, when it is customary to tip the paperboy, the mail carrier, the trash collector. The paperboy has always left us a little Christmas card around the beginning of December.  We never hear anything from the mail carrier and I'm fine with that. But I am irritated by the trash collector. Last year, he attached a Christmas card to our rubbish bin that requested that tips be sent to his home. I can understand that leaving a card taped to the rubbish bin might create problems, but his request irritates me for some reason. If it had been a request to send any tips to their office, I would not given it a second thought. What do you think?

Also, I pay a set rate to have trash picked up weekly and the recycling gets collected every other week. It never occurred to me that the recycling guy gets a separate tip until he left us a card this year. I feel bad about neglecting the recycling guy.  Do I tip 1/2 of what I would give the weekly pickup guy? 

I used to feel good about expressing my appreciation but somehow all that good feeling is slipping away.  Maybe I just over think these things.

123sandy

Re: Christmas tipping
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 09:25:06 AM »
I tip the bin men and the recycling men. It's a disgusting job, I think they deserve the tip. The only other people I tip are the window cleaner and the lady who delivers my fresh veg. Oh, the Tesco delivery man gets a bigger tip than usual at Christmas.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 09:42:21 AM »
No way would I send the tip to someone's home address.  If the tips are supposed to be pooled between all the drivers, its an attempt to circumvent that.  I don't know if that is the case.

My garbage and recycling pick-up are both weekly and paid for out of my city taxes so I leave them both the same, in a card, taped to the recycle bin and the garbage can, in such a way that they can't miss them.

I tip the mail carrier and the two newspaper carriers.  One of them is twice a week so I'm giving him a bit more.  S/he's also the one who has to deal with all the flyers, which is especially onerous this time of year.  I'm sure s/he's building up some muscles, carrying those papers around!  The mail carrier has to deliver the mail everyday but I have a group box that I have to walk to, to get mail.  And s/he has good pay and benefits, which isn't the case for the others, I don't think, so I don't feel badly leaving her/him the same tip as the others.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 11:27:05 AM »
I do not even understand how people tip their garbage men.  (Besides the fact that they are paid more than me. Ours are paid VERY well.)  They don't even get out of their truck here -  they just have the long claw or whatever come down, it picks up your can, and turns it upside down into the container on the truck.  I haven't seen them in ages as they typically come by after I leave for work.  I would be shocked to see a card attached to my garbage can essentially asking for tips.

123sandy

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 11:34:59 AM »
I do not even understand how people tip their garbage men.  (Besides the fact that they are paid more than me. Ours are paid VERY well.)  They don't even get out of their truck here -  they just have the long claw or whatever come down, it picks up your can, and turns it upside down into the container on the truck.  I haven't seen them in ages as they typically come by after I leave for work.  I would be shocked to see a card attached to my garbage can essentially asking for tips.

I know roughly what time they're in my area and walk down the path to meet them. They have to get out to put the bins on the back. And in summer just walking by the truck, the smell makes me heave, I can't imagine what it must be like standing on the back of the truck smelling that all day long.

fountainof

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 11:43:58 AM »
I tip my cleaner and since he comes in the home I leave him a card.  I don't think we can tip the garbage collectors here and as another poster mentioned a truck arm lifts the bin so I think a taped envelope would just get thrown away.  Our garbage is private now as the city sold the contract to a private firm so I think the collectors probably make less now than they used to but I would have no idea how to tip.

I was thinking of tipping my shovelling company with chocolates.  If it snows over the weekend I may put out a box.  If it doesn't snow next week I won't bother.

We aren't allowed to tip the postal service cash or near cash.  The only delivery person I would consider tipping really is the person that delivers our meds.  I was thinking a Tim Horton's gift card for around $15.  It would just go to the person who delivered early next week as it is typically the same person.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 12:05:18 PM »
Our HOA takes care of all tipping for the garbage collectors (which is handled by the city, we just have big dumpsters no bins), gardeners/landscapers, and the maintenance crew. I think there might be a few others, they send out a letter to all of us who live here in mid November (this year it came a little earlier) letting us know if we'd like to contribute to the annual tip for *List of Services* please stop by the office between X time and X time, by X date. They usually have a card for each place and you just give whatever you'd like and can sign the card. Some people drop off their own card, or some goodies, and they'll take those too (though they ask all goodies be non-perishable). You don't have to tip all services, they do ask if you're giving cash to let them know how much you're giving just so they can keep track of what has come in and make sure the right amounts get to the right places. I find it very efficient. One of the HOA people told me, when I asked, that they already have a set amount they'll tip for the each service for the year, what we give is just extra.

In regards to OP's question, no I wouldn't be sending cash to his home address. That just feels off. And really, anyone could tape a card to your bin. I'd be wondering if it was some random person hoping to score extra tips. I'd feel more secure sending it to the company or handing it to him directly.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 01:40:34 PM by GlitterIsMyDrug »

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 12:45:25 PM »

I know roughly what time they're in my area and walk down the path to meet them. They have to get out to put the bins on the back. And in summer just walking by the truck, the smell makes me heave, I can't imagine what it must be like standing on the back of the truck smelling that all day long.

Ah.  That explains it - I haven't seen one actually get out of the truck in years.  And since they don't stand in the back of the truck but are in the cab, they don't have to deal with the stink nearly as much anymore.

Eeep!

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 01:03:19 PM »

Ah.  That explains it - I haven't seen one actually get out of the truck in years.  And since they don't stand in the back of the truck but are in the cab, they don't have to deal with the stink nearly as much anymore.

I'm with you Stargazer - we watch our garbage trucks a lot because my boys are big fans (  :P) but they never ever get out of the truck.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 01:26:14 PM »
And really, anyone could take a card to your bin. I'd be wondering if it was some random person hoping to score extra tips.

Anyone could but it doesn't seem to happen.  I've been attaching cards to my garbage can and recycling bins for years and I've been home some pick-up days or popped home at lunch and the card was still attached when the bins hadn't been picked up yet.  Surprising since there are a lot of kids in my neighbourhood.  But there are no sidewalks on my side of the street so that might help.  Same with the cards for the paper carriers - I've received TY notes so I know the right kid got them.  Mail carrier isn't a problem because I put the card in my locked box, wedged into a vertical position so they'll see it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »
And really, anyone could take a card to your bin. I'd be wondering if it was some random person hoping to score extra tips.

Anyone could but it doesn't seem to happen.  I've been attaching cards to my garbage can and recycling bins for years and I've been home some pick-up days or popped home at lunch and the card was still attached when the bins hadn't been picked up yet.  Surprising since there are a lot of kids in my neighbourhood.  But there are no sidewalks on my side of the street so that might help.  Same with the cards for the paper carriers - I've received TY notes so I know the right kid got them.  Mail carrier isn't a problem because I put the card in my locked box, wedged into a vertical position so they'll see it.

Sorry, I meant tape one to your bin, not take. So John Smith common criminal could see it as an opportunity to collect on tips, please send tips to my house at 123 Main Street. When your trash man is actually Mark Jones at 4545 N Sunshine Ave. And you and Mark have no idea John's getting the tips, not Mark.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 01:42:18 PM »
Gotcha.  I thought you meant some passing stranger would take the card I've taped to my bin for the collectors.
Ontario

magicdomino

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »
Newspaper guy puts a Christmas card in one of the early December newspapers.  Since his first name is Mohammad, I reply with a more neutral holiday card, as well as a check.   :)  He's pretty good about keeping the newspapers out of the puddle that forms at the base of the driveway.

The postal carriers tend to change pretty frequently.  The one who really deserves a tip was the part-timer who was working double shifts in the spring, and came back at 8:00 pm to deliver a package that she had forgotten when delivering the rest of the mail at 7:30 pm.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen her since.

Like stargazer, I wouldn't even know how to tip the garbage handlers.  I tried it a couple of years ago when I was cleaning the basement, but suspect the envelope fell into the truck when they emptied the can.  It didn't look like anyone picked it up.   :(

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 02:23:02 PM »
Be very careful with tipping or gifting your mail carrier.

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22349/html/cover_025.htm

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 02:38:29 PM »
I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure the same rules apply.  I work in government; we aren't allowed to accept anything worth more than $30.  One contractor always sends us this big basket of stuff; we donate it to the Women's Shelter nearby.
Ontario