General Etiquette > Life...in general

Christmas tipping

(1/9) > >>

RubyCat:
It's that time of year again, when it is customary to tip the paperboy, the mail carrier, the trash collector. The paperboy has always left us a little Christmas card around the beginning of December.  We never hear anything from the mail carrier and I'm fine with that. But I am irritated by the trash collector. Last year, he attached a Christmas card to our rubbish bin that requested that tips be sent to his home. I can understand that leaving a card taped to the rubbish bin might create problems, but his request irritates me for some reason. If it had been a request to send any tips to their office, I would not given it a second thought. What do you think?

Also, I pay a set rate to have trash picked up weekly and the recycling gets collected every other week. It never occurred to me that the recycling guy gets a separate tip until he left us a card this year. I feel bad about neglecting the recycling guy.  Do I tip 1/2 of what I would give the weekly pickup guy? 

I used to feel good about expressing my appreciation but somehow all that good feeling is slipping away.  Maybe I just over think these things.

123sandy:
I tip the bin men and the recycling men. It's a disgusting job, I think they deserve the tip. The only other people I tip are the window cleaner and the lady who delivers my fresh veg. Oh, the Tesco delivery man gets a bigger tip than usual at Christmas.

Outdoor Girl:
No way would I send the tip to someone's home address.  If the tips are supposed to be pooled between all the drivers, its an attempt to circumvent that.  I don't know if that is the case.

My garbage and recycling pick-up are both weekly and paid for out of my city taxes so I leave them both the same, in a card, taped to the recycle bin and the garbage can, in such a way that they can't miss them.

I tip the mail carrier and the two newspaper carriers.  One of them is twice a week so I'm giving him a bit more.  S/he's also the one who has to deal with all the flyers, which is especially onerous this time of year.  I'm sure s/he's building up some muscles, carrying those papers around!  The mail carrier has to deliver the mail everyday but I have a group box that I have to walk to, to get mail.  And s/he has good pay and benefits, which isn't the case for the others, I don't think, so I don't feel badly leaving her/him the same tip as the others.

stargazer:
I do not even understand how people tip their garbage men.  (Besides the fact that they are paid more than me. Ours are paid VERY well.)  They don't even get out of their truck here -  they just have the long claw or whatever come down, it picks up your can, and turns it upside down into the container on the truck.  I haven't seen them in ages as they typically come by after I leave for work.  I would be shocked to see a card attached to my garbage can essentially asking for tips.

123sandy:

--- Quote from: stargazer on December 18, 2013, 11:27:05 AM ---I do not even understand how people tip their garbage men.  (Besides the fact that they are paid more than me. Ours are paid VERY well.)  They don't even get out of their truck here -  they just have the long claw or whatever come down, it picks up your can, and turns it upside down into the container on the truck.  I haven't seen them in ages as they typically come by after I leave for work.  I would be shocked to see a card attached to my garbage can essentially asking for tips.

--- End quote ---

I know roughly what time they're in my area and walk down the path to meet them. They have to get out to put the bins on the back. And in summer just walking by the truck, the smell makes me heave, I can't imagine what it must be like standing on the back of the truck smelling that all day long.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version