Author Topic: Christmas tipping  (Read 3809 times)

miranova

Re: Christmas tipping
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »
I have never tipped the mail carrier or garbage man.  I just don't think all professions require tips/Christmas gifts.

Corrina

• Reptile Goddess
  • full time RN and Mommy!
    • Listen to me sing!
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 09:57:38 PM »
Just like USPS, we are not supposed to receive any tips as nurses, or individual gifts really. Sometimes a resident insists, so if it's something like a box of chocolates, we share it between all of our department. Many times family members will bake something or buy a bit box of chocolates or fudge for holidays, which is not discouraged, and is shared between everyone in the nursing home. Gotta love holidays, but I can kiss my size 0 jeans goodbye for a little bit :P

Jenssy Ann- born 4/17/09 and my husband Gaudencio a.k.a. best dad ever

veronaz

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 10:24:41 PM »
I do not even understand how people tip their garbage men.  (Besides the fact that they are paid more than me. Ours are paid VERY well.)  They don't even get out of their truck here -  they just have the long claw or whatever come down, it picks up your can, and turns it upside down into the container on the truck.  I haven't seen them in ages as they typically come by after I leave for work.  I would be shocked to see a card attached to my garbage can essentially asking for tips.

This.  I never heard of tipping the garbage man, recycle bin collectors..........or snow plow/salt truck drivers.  Then there's the construction workers on my street, meter readers, and the cable guy.  I've never tipped these people, and never will.

These people are doing a job and are paid well.

I'm sure tip money going to these people would be appreciated by a food bank, shelter, or someone struggling to keep their utilities on.

YMMV
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:46:27 PM by veronaz »

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 11:18:56 PM »
I'm not in the US, and the tipping-culture is not so prevalent here.

However, I would never tip public employees such as the letter carrier or garbage collectors.  Compared to the private sector - they make a very nice living wage.

menley

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 04:36:08 AM »
I'm from the US and have never heard of tipping your garbage collector.

I really think the tipping culture has gotten out of hand. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, garbage collectors made an average hourly wage of $16.55 in 2011. That is more than double the US minimum wage.

veronaz

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 09:25:49 AM »
I'm from the US and have never heard of tipping your garbage collector.

I really think the tipping culture has gotten out of hand. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, garbage collectors made an average hourly wage of $16.55 in 2011. That is more than double the US minimum wage.

Thatís putting it mildly.

In other tipping threads Iíve seen people say the reason they tip so much in restaurants is because the workers are paid so low Ė below minimum wage (which is not the fault of the customers).  But now weíre talking about how much to tip the garbage and recycling collector.  Another thread talked about giving the doorman a $100 tip.  Really? :-\

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 10:24:09 AM »
I'm a small town girl, originally.  Leaving $10-$20 in a card for the garbage or recycle collector at Christmas gets you nicely placed bins back in your driveway, rather than tossed around.  It's worth it to me; having my bins placed back neatly usually means that they don't get blown all over the place on a windy day because the opening is either up or down and the wind doesn't catch the bin.

I'm not a big proponent of tipping everyone and their brother.  I tip at restaurants, I tip my hair stylist, on the very rare occasion I take a cab, I'll tip the cabbie and I do 5 Christmas tips.  There are a few other people that I 'tip' with cookies.  But the 5 that I leave cards for?  There would be no way to tip them with cookies.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 11:01:26 AM »
I'm a small town girl, originally.  Leaving $10-$20 in a card for the garbage or recycle collector at Christmas gets you nicely placed bins back in your driveway, rather than tossed around.  It's worth it to me; having my bins placed back neatly usually means that they don't get blown all over the place on a windy day because the opening is either up or down and the wind doesn't catch the bin.

I grew up in a big city and live in a small town, and have never tipped garage men, and have never had my garbage can NOT placed back neatly where I put it.  Honestly, if they didn't, they aren't doing their job and I would complain.  I wouldn't tip to ensure that.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 11:15:13 AM »
I live in an apartment complex, and I don't remember seeing people often enough to know if I even have the same mail carrier every day.  (I rarely see them at all) 
The only person I really tip is my cleaning lady, and that's because she is the best cleaning lady EVER and I hope she never leaves me.  I'd be totally lost and living in squalor without her, and my poor cat would be lost (she LOVES the cleaning lady!).  So I give her twice her usual fee when she comes in December.

I get a haircut maybe once every 3-4 months, and I have never had my nails done in my life. 

MeowMixer

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 01:21:22 PM »
I left a card and a nice box of chocolates for the mail carrier yesterday. I never leave cash. I think the free local paper person took the gift card I left last year for the mail carrier. The one time he delivered the paper on the day it was supposed to come... *eye roll*

My dad is a postie and his customers are very kind to him with Timmies gift cards and home made cookies and such. He is very interactive through the year with them too, it's going to be such a shame when home delivery of mail is phased out in the next five years. :( I don't think it's right but, that's another topic for another day...

darkprincess

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 02:16:12 PM »
DH and I give a little gift to the people that have been doing us a regular service all year and do a good job. We do it to show appreciation not based on their pay. We give everyone a card with a handwritten note thanking them and a little item (candy, chocolate, coffee mug, krispy kreme doughnuts, book etc.) This year we are gifting:
mailman (we know him and we are getting him a bottle of his favorite booze)
garbage person (we don't know him so chocolates)
recycling person (we don't know him so chocolates)
childrens teachers (one teacher collects vintage children's books so we found a vintage book that would fit in their collection)
childrens busdriver (daughter says she has a reusuable coffee cup, so we got her a new one)
childrens childcare workers (children hand make a card and we bring two dozen doughnuts)
the baristas that we see every weekend, they know our name and order by heart. they acutally get a card and cash.
when we had paper delivery we only gave a gift if the delivery person had been deliveing our route for over 4 months. We usually had alot of turnover.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 10:00:13 PM »
I will not tip my garbage man as I know he makes a lot more than me and he cracked my can last week  >:(.  If the smell of garbage is so foul to them, they shouldn't be in that line of work.  They picked it, plus, I have to haul my garbage from the back of my house to the front for him, then take my cans back.  All he does is dump it in the front of his truck then throw our cans into the middle of my yard.   I do not tip my mailman because they technically cannot receive tips being federal employees (altho my dad always had a well stocked bar every December  ;D) plus they make twice as much as me and the one we have had since September is a first class (see what I did there??) jerk, he delivers the wrong mail, and when I leave it for him to pick back up he won't, keeps stuffing all the junk mail into the mailbox of the house next door even though I have told him 5 times no one has lived there in over a year...when my dad delivered, if mail was not picked up for more than 2 days they had to call for a well check on the residence, this guy keeps jamming it in and when it doesn't fit, he leaves it on the porch to blow all over my yard  >:(.  Now, if we still had the mailman we had over the summer, I might have tipped him..he was cute and flirted with me  ;D ;D ;D.  I agree the tipping culture has gotten out of hand.  My step mom tipped her cleaning lady handsomely this year.  She is from an agency, but asked that she be my parents steady one this past spring, was wonderful through my dad's last months, and has been so good with my step mom.  She doesn't just come in to clean, but sits with her for a bit, has a cup of coffee and chats with a very lonely old lady, so I feel she deserves it because I know she goes above what is expected out of her, but all these others?  No, they are paid well to do a job that I did not hire them for.  If they want to be tipped, ask the government who sends them out or my borough who contracted their services. 

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 03:44:22 AM »
I have never tipped garbage collectors - in my current home, the city empties the massive recycling dumpster, and a private company has the contract to empty the equally huge garbage dumpster.

Mail carrier? Puh-leez, I had to contact the Ombudsperson for Canada Post a couple of years ago because of the continuing poor service I received. Not a great deal of improvement since then, but at least my parcels aren`t left out to be taken by the local homeless persons now.

Groundskeepers? No, the Management Company hired to administered our condos can deal with them.

I don`t take a newspaper or flyers, as I would prefer not to waste paper.

If I order delivery from one or more of my three favorite places during the holiday season, I add an extra $5.00 to my usual 20% tip. The delivery people love me, and always get my food here lickety-split.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Peppergirl

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 05:12:42 AM »
Meh - I don't think there's anything wrong with it either way.  My parents tip their garbage drivers, the mail person, the water-bottle delivery man, etc.  They always have.  It makes them feel good, so I leave them to it.  I'm certainly not going to get all judgmental about people who choose to do it, even though I choose not to.

I'd rather spend my money to tip extra to people who actually provide a service to me, such as my hair and nail person.  I also tip a little extra at restaurants during the season if I get very good service. 

miranova

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 11:43:34 AM »
If someone wants to tip, that's fine.  I'm sure it comes from a kind and generous place and I wouldn't judge someone who did it.

I just don't think those are professions that should expect tips as a matter of course.  As someone else said, I didn't hire them.  They are hired and paid (sometimes very well) by the government.  I also consider stacking the cans upright rather than throwing them anywhere to be a standard part of the job and not something that they should do only for people who tip.