Author Topic: Christmas tipping  (Read 3863 times)

GlitterIsMyDrug

Re: Christmas tipping
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »
I wonder if it might be a generational thing? My grandma makes fudge for her mail carrier every year, this year they've moved and she has a new mail carrier she doesn't know (yet) and still she's making fudge. I know she doens't do anything for the trash men because it's just the big claw thing that picks up trash, but her HOA has groundskeepers and she makes fudge for them. I wondering if it's generational because she grew up in a time where you just know your mail carrier, they came to your door with your letters/packages, you knew your garbage men, you just knew these people so of course you gave them a little something at Christmas time.

While I grew up in a time where the mailman delivered to your mailbox, the garbage is picked up by a giant claw, we don't know these people, we don't interact with them regularly. Giving them something at Christmas is as odd as giving a random stranger on the bus something at Christmas. Sure, it's nice if you do, but certainly not expected.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 12:46:18 PM »
I wonder if it might be a generational thing? My grandma makes fudge for her mail carrier every year, this year they've moved and she has a new mail carrier she doesn't know (yet) and still she's making fudge. I know she doens't do anything for the trash men because it's just the big claw thing that picks up trash, but her HOA has groundskeepers and she makes fudge for them. I wondering if it's generational because she grew up in a time where you just know your mail carrier, they came to your door with your letters/packages, you knew your garbage men, you just knew these people so of course you gave them a little something at Christmas time.

While I grew up in a time where the mailman delivered to your mailbox, the garbage is picked up by a giant claw, we don't know these people, we don't interact with them regularly. Giving them something at Christmas is as odd as giving a random stranger on the bus something at Christmas. Sure, it's nice if you do, but certainly not expected.

I'm probably a little older than you (I'm 45), born to older parents (Mom was 38 when she had me) and we lived in a small town.  They did know their mail carrier.  They probably knew the garbage and recycle collectors, too, or at least knew their family.  I'm happy to put $10 in a card.  Makes me feel good, probably makes the recipient feel good and spreads a little Christmas cheer.

I think I've told this story here before.  A few years back, I used my Air Miles to get $20 grocery store gift certificates.  I'd left those for the 5 people I leave a Christmas 'tip' for.  One of the paperboys had a thank you card written for me the next time he was coming by.  I got to talk to his Mom, who was helping him.  Her husband is working 3 hours away and only makes it home on weekends, when the weather cooperates.  There are 4 kids, money was really tight.  The son's paper route money was helping support the family.  He'd been begging to get ribs but they just couldn't afford it.  With my $20 GC, he got his ribs, Mom added a salad and a loaf of bread and they had a great meal, on me.  I got a little teary and Mom gave me a hug.

I'm sorry that he is no longer my paperboy because he also did a good job.  The kid I have now is good, too.  I can't get the GCs any more or that's what I'd still be leaving out.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2013, 01:49:41 PM »
I tip my mail carrier.  I know she keeps an eye out to make sure that people on her route are OK.  I actually know several letter carriers who do that, although it definitely isn't part of the job description/requirements. I also know that in the extreme cold they have a pretty miserable job. I don't know of any person who works for the USPS who expects a tip (or fudge or anything else). I don't do it to get "better" service in this case.  I do it once a year to show appreciation for the care I receive as they do their job.

It is kind of like giving a gift to a teacher at the holidays or the end of the year. It isn't expected, there is no penalty for those who don't do it or special reward for those who do. It isn't to supplement a less than livable income.  It is simply a kindness to say "I appreciate what you do". 

miranova

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2013, 03:25:40 PM »
Except I've never heard of a teacher who sent self addressed stamped envelopes home with her students in anticipation of Christmas gifts/tips she should receive.  If there is truly no expectation of gifts, we wouldn't keep reading about newspaper delivery people leaving envelopes around the holidays clearly meant to be given back to them with cash inside.  That's really the only part of it that bothers me:  the expectation/downright asking for cash tips at Christmas.  It's just....tacky.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2013, 04:05:43 PM »
We only Christmas tip by overtipping those we tip anyway.

I left a double tip for my stylist the other day and for lunch today we overtipped so much that the server was embarrassed (and it really wasn't that much from what I read here).

We can't tip any government employees. The mailcarrier drives to our rural mailbox and there seem to be three of them who work in a cycle, anyway.  The trash collectors are city employees, and we don't have a housecleaner or a lawnkeeper, but if we did, I would just overtip them. We don't order meal delivery, and though the UPS guy is here a lot, we don't really know him. Maybe when we are really, really old and have prescription delivery and grocery delivery, we may. Of course by then, we will still probably be following archaic tipping rules anyway, so it won't seem like anything special.

The only time we had a doorman was when our granddaughter was three and met everyone of our family guests to open the door for them.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2013, 04:53:21 PM »
I wish I knew our mail carrier.  I did when I was young, and I do think we gave him a small thing within the bounds of the law back then.  But he was also SUPER nice - I loved waiting for him when I was young.   Now, I have one of those mailboxes that is a cluster of mailboxes all together at the end of the street which I'm sure makes it easier for him as he only has to stop at one place to deliver mail for about 30 houses or so but also means I have no idea who they are.

RubyCat

« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »
I don't know if it is the way things are done now or what but after having a chance to go through the pile of mail, etc, I found that we got cards/notes from the trash guy, the recycling guy, and the paperboy that included home addresses. The paperboy included his phone # in case we ever had a problem with the service. We got a postcard from our mail carrier too. I ended up putting out cards for the trash and recycling and the paperboy. Only the trash guy found his card. Oh well. I will put the card out again for the paperboy, unless I mail it to his house. I really like him and am pretty sure that the newspaper pays poorly. I didn't bother putting anything out for the mail carrier because the service is terrible. (plus ive been sick with a bad cold all day). There have been times when it seems like she just hasn't bothered to deliver our mail for a few days.  For example, we get shopping circulars every Thursday, but occasionally, we won't get them until Saturday. There have been times when we get what appears to be a few days worth of mail stuffed in our box. And don't get me started on the wrong mail we've gotten.

I may be rethinking Christmas tipping going forward.  I will always tip the paperboy but I'm beginning to think cookies or candy might be more appropriate for the others, if I tip at all.

NyaChan

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2013, 07:54:06 PM »
I can't remember ever receiving a solicitation for tips from the garbage collectors or the mail carrier.  I don't think I would tip either of those types of workers unless they were providing me with some above and beyond service.  Tips that can be expected in my opinion are for those who have them factored into their wages or are in a service position with close contact - hair stylist, manicurist, housekeeper who work on your home or your body.  I don't think collectors or carriers fall into those areas.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2013, 08:41:13 PM »
I have not had anybody solicit me for tips.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2013, 07:06:44 AM »
I'm in the US and do not tip the mail carrier or the garbage/recycle men.  I've known people in both professions and all of them easily made 3x or 4x my salary.  IMO, they make more than enough to compensate for the less pleasant aspects of their jobs.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 07:08:16 AM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

veronaz

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2013, 09:49:15 AM »
I'm in the US and do not tip the mail carrier or the garbage/recycle men.  I've known people in both professions and all of them easily made 3x or 4x my salary.  IMO, they make more than enough to compensate for the less pleasant aspects of their jobs.

I agree.  Same thing applies to morticians. coroners, and plumbers.  I also haven't known of anyone tipping police officers, fire fighters, or 911 medics - at Christmas or any other time.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 09:52:53 AM by veronaz »

White Lotus

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2013, 12:29:29 PM »
We tip our house cleaners and gardeners in the amount of one extra service.  My hairdresser owns the salon, and so is not tipped, and neither is the dog groomer.  If I am coming in near New Year's, I will bring a box of candy or fruit (my preference).  Mail carriers change and rotate shifts.  Trash/recycle collectors come in big trucks and never get out of them, and we don't tip them.  If we had a newspaper kid, I would tip her/him, but we get our papers online now. If I lived in an apartment that had door people or resident managers who did things, tipping annually avoids all the little tips during the year -- or is supposed to -- and we would tip.  The Prof brings boxes of fruit to his office.  People give him mugs and other knick-knacks he would rather not have.  I hate the constant nagging annoyance of tipping, and resist when possible, but I do want to reward exceptional service.

TamJamB

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »
I have never lived anywhere where tipping mail carriers or trash collectors was common.  I do get a card from my paper carrier; which I assume is a hint for a tip.  I ignore it, though, since I tip when I pay my paper bill instead -- I don't remember how much I tip, but they have a recommended amount on the bill and I tip whatever that is.  I don't have a 'usual' hair stylist or manicurist (I just go to walk-in places), but if I do have one, I will give them double or triple the usual tip at my December appointments. That's what my mother did.