Author Topic: "Nothing goes with ham like a side of ham!"  (Read 8130 times)

weeblewobble

"Nothing goes with ham like a side of ham!"
« on: December 19, 2013, 06:46:56 AM »
http://www.creators.com/advice/annies-mailbox/transsexual-women-are-women.html

Today's query comes from the comment section of Annie's Mailbox (12-19-13.)  In response to a letter about holiday meal traditions, a commenter, Johanna, stated that for years, her brother and SIL have INSISTED on hosting Christmas dinner.  They forbid anyone from bringing anything and get insulted/defensive when the other relatives offer to bring something.  They claim it's their gift to the family.

The problem?  They serve ham. And only ham.  No side dishes, no salads, no desserts, no drinks besides water.  Just ham, on paper plates with plastic utensils.  And while the family sits around gnawing on their slices of ham, the brother and SIL sit there and compliment each other on the wonderful meal.

This is has gone on for years. Johanna noted that these people are well off and have gone to restaurants, so they are aware that most meals involve sides and drinks besides water.

So I ask you ehellions, how would you handle this? I know we've said over and over that it's wrong to criticize someone's hospitality, but this just seems weird. Personally, I think I would just start bringing side dishes without asking permission.  SIL's ham-stranglehold on the family dinner only continues because the family allows it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:13:12 AM by weeblewobble »

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: "Nothing goes with ham like a side of ham!"
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 07:00:37 AM »
I think I'd stop going and do my own thing at home, honestly.  And perhaps if enough family members refused to join in the ham-only festivities, they'd get the point faster than they would if people argued.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

LeveeWoman

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 07:12:26 AM »
I'd just quit going, and I'd tell them why. I can't think of any reasonable excuse for them to serve just ham and water.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 07:14:09 AM »
If it were my brother and I was close to him, I would tell him straight out: "Dude, ham only does not a meal make. You need a salad, a potato dish and other drinks, not just water, at the very least. Do you want me to bring some of those, make them yourselves or find someone else to host?" Then again, we are pretty straight forward in my family. Some other family members might just show up with a large salad or side dish the following year.

If I weren't that close, I would just make different plans.

crella

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 07:24:04 AM »
"Ham, ham,ham,ham and ham"

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 07:25:21 AM »
That is utterly bizarre. I'd bring something anyway. "You're saying I can't cook?" "Well, apparently you won't."

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 07:25:50 AM »
Just ham and water.... how extremely bizarre. ???

I can't come up with any reasonable explanation as to why they think this is a good idea.  Nor can I come up with any reasonable explanations as to why people have tolerated it for this long. If this was my sibling I'd have told them years ago that this just wasn't on and refused to attend if it had continued.

rm247

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 07:27:12 AM »
Are you sure it's Ham and not Spam?

We all know Spam, Spam, Spam & Spam makes a great meal.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 07:38:28 AM »
Most people in our family would have walked out the first dinner, gone to get sides from any store/restaurant/whatever that is open, and spent the remainder of the dinnertime sympathising about the host's finances, since apparently they can no longer afford food.

If you don't want to go to all that trouble, simply going home for dinner or not ever accepting another invitation would be acceptable. I too have to wonder why this has gone on for years now. ???
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 07:46:01 AM »
I wonder why it's gone on for years, too.  You'd think by now, everyone else would have gotten together and either talked to them or organized stuff to bring.  Or gone somewhere else.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 07:52:42 AM »
I get that some people have a favorite meal, but that a very ham-handed way of enforcing it.

veryfluffy

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 08:01:44 AM »
I don't understand why everyone keeps going to this. These people can INSIST on hosting as much as they like, but if everyone declines, or someone decides they'd like to host and gives the rest of the family the option, then...tough noogies. It will leave more ham for the brother and SIL, since they like it so much.

staceym

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 08:12:49 AM »
I also wonder why this has gone on so long and why when the invitation goes out someone doesn't ask

"what are you having besides ham?""  and if they say nothing, then say "well then I'm bringing ... and I'll tell aunt Mary to bring ..."

Margo

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 08:55:47 AM »
The link goes to a different letter - I can't find the one about ham.

That said,  in that situation I would stop attending. I think showing up with sides & desserts when you've specifically been told not to is rude (so is demanding everyone come to your home for a meal, and then failing to provide a meal, but retaliatory rudeness isn't appropriate!)

I thin that I would consider sending a message round to the family early on, before invitations/summons have been sent, saying that you plan to spend christmas at your own home but would be delighted to host hose family members who would like to join you.

And if no one takes you up on it, well - maybe they're happy with ham and water.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 08:59:03 AM »
I get that some people have a favorite meal, but that a very ham-handed way of enforcing it.
Ouch.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy