Author Topic: "Nothing goes with ham like a side of ham!"  (Read 6913 times)

AzaleaBloom

• Help, I'm stepping into the twilight zone...
Re: "Nothing goes with ham like a side of ham!"
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2013, 12:37:35 PM »
I second shhh's thoughts that it might be one of those things where it's just so bizarre, people keep going.  It may also be that the company is good, they all enjoy the shared moments of trying to avoid hysterical laughter, and the lack of a good meal may not be that big of a deal to them. 

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2013, 12:41:53 PM »
As ridiculous and hard to believe as this sounds, the basic answer is that when you accept someone's hospitality, you sort have to accept it.  Yes, the hosts are obligated to provide meals during mealtimes, etc, but if what they are offering is a ham for dinner, then it's pretty much rude to insist that they offer something else (even if their lack of a complete meal doesn't reflect well on their sense of good dinner hosting). Sure, a good way to 'hint' that their hospitality is lacking is to offer to do it yourself, but if they refuse any side dishes, then showing up for the holiday dinner kind of requires you to accept the ham and thank them for it sincerely.  If side dishes are a must, then decline the invitation.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:03:41 PM by bah12 »

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 12:42:30 PM »
I do not like ham, ham, and ham. I do not like it, Brother I am. I do not like it with H20. I do not like it, no no no.

Ouch #2.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Pen^2

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 12:48:23 PM »
I would offer to bring more ham :)

This is perfect! You win the thread.

Dr. F.

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2013, 12:58:09 PM »
That sounds like more of a performance art project than a holiday meal, particularly with the "hosts" congratulating themselves on such a wonderful meal.

magicdomino

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »
"Sorry bro, I've converted to Judism."

Okay, maybe not, and I too wonder if the situation is exaggerated.  Assuming it is true (because people can be very weird), I would have quit going the third year.  First time, maybe it is a strange diet.  Second time, surely they aren't still on the ham kick, are they?  Third Christmas, I'm sorry, I've got plans for some macaroni-and-cheese and a bowl of applesauce with my very own ham.

MrTango

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 02:37:15 PM »
I'd host a party at my place with a full meal and invite everyone.  If they get upset that I'm not letting them host, I'd reply with "just because I'm hosting a dinner party doesn't mean you can't invite people to your own event."

LeveeWoman

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 02:50:01 PM »
I'd host a party at my place with a full meal and invite everyone.  If they get upset that I'm not letting them host, I'd reply with "just because I'm hosting a dinner party doesn't mean you can't invite people to your own event."

The dueling dinners!

problemattic

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 03:10:42 PM »
I feel a bit guilty because I know it isn't terribly amusing for the OP to endure this weirdness, but I will admit to laughing out loud when I read the post.  You just can't say, "Now, I've seen everything," until you've worked your way through the winding hallways of eHell.  Pass the ham.  Great ham!  Is there any ham left?  Could I just get a bit more ham on my ham? 

I thought I had it bad.  For years, FIL "prepared" a bloody, oozing, undercooked lump of beef each Thanksgiving, with sides of green beans and dinner rolls.  I don't eat beef.  He knew that, but wouldn't allow anyone to contribute other dishes.  Now, I know how lucky I was to have had the green beans and dinner rolls!  I'll be more careful to include side dishes among the blessings I count each year.  And I'll never look at ham the same way again. 

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 03:23:45 PM »
I want spam, spam, spam, eggs and spam please!
But I don't like spam!
Now everyone join in with the Vikings on a hearty chorus of ”SPAM, WONDERFUL SPAM!”

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 04:29:33 PM »
  It's so bizarre I would keep going ,   (I'm second shenanigans ) I guess in theory they could be militant  meat only eaters and have been deeply offended by all the bread and vegetables they have been served or my person favorite theory one of them is doing a long term experiment RE how far people will go to met family exceptions.   I would offer to bring more ham :)

thanks, and now I get to clean coffee off my screen

I keep remembering Mr Blanding Builds His Dream House ... if it ain't Wham, it ain't Ham

/pedantic on
"If you ain't eating Wham, you ain't eating ham!"
/pedantic off

Sorry, Cary Grant is my favorite actor who ever lived, and I have that movie (and His Girl Friday) virtually memorized.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 05:42:50 PM »
In the view of some, 'eternity' is defined as two people and a ham. 

Like others, we like ham and will be having a small one for Christmas.  However, ham and water does not make a festive Holiday meal.  Other family members should have stepped in long before this. 

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2013, 06:23:22 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love ham. But just ham and water? That's not a meal. That's a snack.

In my family not even that, ham needs mustard & if there aren't at least 3 different kinds we're not serving the ham right! Good grief, I would have walked out if that was all there was.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2013, 06:37:31 PM »
Are you sure it's Ham and not Spam?

We all know Spam, Spam, Spam & Spam makes a great meal.

Were I in attendance, I might have to duct tape my mouth to keep from reciting that skit.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2013, 09:19:45 PM »
I agree with those who say just stop going.  As we say here, an invitation is not a summons.  Have your (generic your) holiday dinner the way you want it.
"After all this time?"
"Always."