Author Topic: "Nothing goes with ham like a side of ham!"  (Read 8145 times)

delabela

Re: "Nothing goes with ham like a side of ham!"
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2013, 01:04:27 AM »
Not even bacon on the side?

I would totally keep going - their real gift to the family all is the conversation at the diner where people have gone after the ham appetizer to have a real meal and speculate as to what would motivate someone to serve ham all on it's lonesome.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2013, 01:14:53 AM »
I told my wife about the menu.  Her jaw dropped and she said; "You're kidding.  That's just insane."  We both agree that that would have only happened one year.

And I hope it's shenanigans.  Or at least that this couple has no children because said children probably wouldn't be getting good nutrition.

CakeEater

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2013, 06:26:51 AM »
I do not like ham, ham, and ham. I do not like it, Brother I am. I do not like it with H20. I do not like it, no no no.

;D Nice!

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2013, 11:58:57 AM »
 ??? :o
umm....maybe they're on extreme Atkins? Otherwise I got nothing as far as a motive for such insanity.

The funny thing is, I was looking at ham at the store the other day and it is freakin expensive! :( If I were the couple I would blow my holiday budget on the best ham I could afford, and be super grateful that everyone else could contribute sides and dessert to round out the family meal. The meal could be everyone's gift to everyone else, and I could retain my pride in being able to provide the centerpiece of glazed meaty goodness.

Ham is awesome, but not good enough to usurp every other holiday dish. Just...no.
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

NyaChan

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2013, 01:34:38 PM »
This post makes me laugh because something like this wouldn't happen even once in my family.  If we showed up to our relative's house and found only a meat dish with no sides, people would immediately be getting more food together and telling the hosts not to worry about formality, they'd be happy to help cook or pick things up!  There'd probably be some good natured ribbing as well (translated) "Jeez bro, you were just going to serve us plain meat? No rice, no gravy?"

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2013, 01:50:12 PM »
Perhaps these folks watched this youtube video and though you weren't supposed to serve ham with anything else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF3sjgF9Yhg - It's a video of how to carve a ham, but part of it shows the guy handing a plate of ham to two people who have nothing on their plates but a slice of bread. 

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
Perhaps they buy this ham:

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

snowfire

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »
Now THAT is an Epic Fail!

m2kbug

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has said anything "for years."  Really?  I would have said something.  You provide sides.  You provide dessert.  You provide beverages.  We are happy to bring these.  If nobody could talk sense into these people, I would just stay home.  Maybe plan on having dinner at my place or someone else's place.  That's pretty bizarre that they only served ham.

Paper Roses

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2013, 07:01:31 PM »
I don't know.  I get that truth is often stranger than fiction, but I'm having a really difficult time believing this.  The thought that someone would actually do it, first of all, and on top of that the idea that everyone would go along with it. 

No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2013, 07:48:18 PM »
I love ham, but that's just unappetizing.  It needs at least one side.  A piece of bread.  Anything. 

I would have stopped going years ago.  Perhaps most of that family learned to eat beforehand.

scarlett

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2013, 02:37:37 PM »
I read the synopsis to DH and the kids yesterday and they were astonished that the letter writer would continue going back year after year. Then I threatened everyone with turkey and water for Christmas and was promptly voted down. That is not hosting of any sort.

Library Dragon

« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2013, 11:23:47 PM »
Homer Zuckerman: There he is!
Arable: That's some pig.
Avery Arable: He's terrific.
Lurvy: He's radiant.
Mrs. Zuckerman: Well, he's clean anyway. That buttermilk glass of water certainly helped.

Charlotte's Web

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Pen^2

« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2013, 01:00:04 PM »
As DH and I were tucking into ham sandwiches yesterday, I mentioned this story to him. He was incredulous, but pointed out that if it was true, then it'd be worth going to anyway as an entree to a real lunch elsewhere, because it's such a crazy story to laugh over.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2013, 01:11:20 PM »
Just wanted to add this reminds me of Jim Gaffigan's routine about Domino's (the part that's relevant starts at 2:25)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kapaSTpYc0I