Author Topic: Working practices  (Read 4528 times)

MurPl1

Re: Working practices
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2014, 02:48:58 AM »
Texas Teacher here
If you teach in public school the state requires that you receive 5 days per year of personal leave. There is no limit on accumulation and they are transferable between districts. Basically this is part of your base pay that the state pays the district.

Districts can offer pay above the base pay and most do. They can also have local leave days - most do. Some districts require that you use your state days before local days. Mine doesn't I'll have 60 state days at the end of this year and mid 40's in local days.

This is the part that confuses me. We were told point blank last year we are Exempt employees under federal law and that if he wanted to make us stay till midnight for meetings he could and we wouldn't be due one red cent overtime. (He being our then principal who was having a temper tantrum). I did some checking and everything says he was basically right. (Except for the fact they turn off the AC at 6 pm and there was a possibility of putting forth the argument that that made the building unsafe to work in.)

But I in my searches I turned up several sources that said that while the above was true there was an additional rule that said exempt employees could not be docked pay if they worked either part of the day or part of the week. If the part of the week part is true - then my district is up to something hinky. A couple of staff members ran out of days. (I admit I have no sympathy for one because she took off for fun stuff, then got sick. The other has a chronically ill child.) They both had their pay docked even though they worked part of the week.

It's my understanding that you cannot dock by hour, thus turning an salaried-exempt employee into an hourly non-exempt employee.  But you can dock whole days of pay.  And that PTO/vacation days can by taken in half-day increments but nothing smaller.

MurPl1

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2014, 03:01:58 AM »
I'd like to clarify that At-Will is a two way street.  Employers can fire at-will as long as it doesn't violate laws like discrimination for race, religion, sex or national origin.  But it also means an employee can walk away at any time.  With two weeks notice (used to be standard but is becoming rarer), with a days notice or just never comes back from lunch.

And I will also add, as a business owner, that you don't fire someone unless you have cause to.  Hiring and training someone takes time.  Additionally, in Texas, if you fire someone without following progressive discipline policies you have in place, you will likely be on the hook for unemployment.  Which raises your taxes.  So it's not a good idea to just tell someone they're fired unless keeping them is a bigger expense and hassle than letting them go.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2014, 07:16:09 AM »
I don't think anyone has mentioned it already.  But, my fellow Americans are usually shocked at the idea of a country taking vacation all at the same time.

True after all who will run all the amusement parks/tourist attractions if everyone is on vacation ;-)

In Texas for  my Dad's generation and mine school started mid August. According to Dad they started that when was in school because there was a spike in Polo in August. The suspected cause was kids swimming in crowded pools or the bayous. So put them in school and keep them out of the water.

Then starting around 1984 - 1985 the legislature started moving the date around. One of the arguments made for a later start date (post labor day) was that tourist places needed the cheep teenaged labor. They would work for minimum wages and didn't need health care. Now because of the multiple shifts in start dates, new teachers in my district work 1/2 August and 1/2 September before their first paycheck on Sept. 15. Before that they are still paying veteran teachers for the past year.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future