Author Topic: American students and Canadian Universities  (Read 1010 times)

katiescarlett

American students and Canadian Universities
« on: December 21, 2013, 12:31:27 PM »
I will be graduating with an English degree and a history minor next December.  I am from Oklahoma.  One of the schools I am looking at applying to for graduate school (in history) is the University of Toronto.  I know that as an international student in the UK, I would be unable to get funding like I could here in the States (assistantships, etc.).  Does anyone know anything about American students and funding in Canadian universities?  My advisor is under the impression that we can, but I want to be sure before I pay the application fee to apply (of course, that is not guaranteed that I would receive it, just want to know if it is possible).  I am curious where I can look online to find information about this. 

ekoko

Re: American students and Canadian Universities
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 01:01:43 PM »
As an American I did my MA in Ireland. I was able to get a Stafford Loan for it just as I did for undergrad. I would recommend speaking to the Uni of Toronto's international student office, they know what options are available.. That's how I found out about the Stafford Loan option. I was eligible for $20k and $12k of it was subsidized (though it seems for graduate students it is all unsubsidized now) but all I needed to do was complete the FAFSA  and apply for the loan. And since they are from the Department of Ed they at least have low interest rates.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 01:40:25 PM »
There seems to be different funding packages depending on your program/level/country. Some people are eligible for full funding, some are only eligible for small loans. I'm not sure where you fall in this.

http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/currentstudents/Pages/Financing-Your-Graduate-Education.aspx
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

onikenbai

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
It's on the UofT website:

http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/currentstudents/Pages/Financing-Your-Graduate-Education.aspx

I did my Masters at UofT.  Unfortunately I did mine part time as I worked full time while studying, so I missed out on a lot of the funding opportunities, but some of my classmates who were attending full time were able to recoup expenses by becoming TAs, proctoring exams and becoming research assistants.  It also looks like international students are allowed to apply for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship so absolutely apply for that because that is at least $10K with a very good chance of actually getting it.

A good chunk of the automatic funding is attached to the Doctorate programme.  Acceptance to the PhD programme automatically includes funding.  The Masters programme does not.  You have to work a little harder, but it is there.  The only catch is that you have to be attending full time.  That was kind of a bummer for me.  Your only other option is for me to adopt you to get landed immigrant status, and then you get citizen tuition rates and a place in Toronto to live.  Double bonus.  But I have only a pull out couch and my apartment is small and far from campus.

katiescarlett

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 02:29:59 PM »
It's on the UofT website:

I did my Masters at UofT.  Unfortunately I did mine part time as I worked full time while studying, so I missed out on a lot of the funding opportunities, but some of my classmates who were attending full time were able to recoup expenses by becoming TAs, proctoring exams and becoming research assistants.  It also looks like international students are allowed to apply for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship so absolutely apply for that because that is at least $10K with a very good chance of actually getting it.

A good chunk of the automatic funding is attached to the Doctorate programme.  Acceptance to the PhD programme automatically includes funding.  The Masters programme does not.  You have to work a little harder, but it is there.  The only catch is that you have to be attending full time.  That was kind of a bummer for me.  Your only other option is for me to adopt you to get landed immigrant status, and then you get citizen tuition rates and a place in Toronto to live.  Double bonus.  But I have only a pull out couch and my apartment is small and far from campus.

Okay, this made my day.  Too funny!  Thank you, everybody!  I will do more searching on their website.  This is not my only school choice, I will be applying to about 10 other schools.  But, I must admit to being extremely interested in this school.  The program is excellent, and as I intend to pursue a doctorate, I will look into that as well.  First step is that master's, though.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 09:01:10 PM »
Best of luck!  U of T is a great school.  I didn't attend myself (I betrayed my U of T alumni family members by going to Queen's instead, haha) but can highly recommend it  :)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 09:26:18 PM »
Anybody have any info about American undergrads at Canadian universities? In particular the University of British Columbia. It's one of my son's choices but the out-of-province tuition and lack of financial aid for non-Canadians is a big problem for us.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
From the looks of it, you would have to get a loan for him. http://www.students.ubc.ca/finance/student-loans/us-students/undergraduate/ It doesn't look like he is eligible for much else, other than work-study jobs on campus. I totally sympathise. That huge tuition bill has got to hurt! :(

Other than that, all I can say is make sure he stays at the residence on campus or outside the city. Vancouver is ruinously expensive. He could easily double his living expenses just by the area he lives in.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

figee

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 05:19:41 AM »
If you're determined to pursue a doctorate especially in that field, can I suggest that you visit The Chronicle of Higher Education forums to get a very clear idea about the pros an cons of such a course of action?  Specifically, employment prospects are pretty dire and have been for some years and that unless you are fully funded, and can manage to graduate with minimal or no debt, this is a really really bad idea. 

katiescarlett

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 12:44:47 PM »
Thank you.  I will look into it.  The only way I will attend any grad school is if I am fully funded.  I refuse to take out loans.  I will also receive funding from my tribe (I am part Choctaw) every semester, as I do now.  If I don't get funding, I have decided I will look for a technical writing job.

onikenbai

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 02:22:56 PM »
Thank you.  I will look into it.  The only way I will attend any grad school is if I am fully funded.  I refuse to take out loans.  I will also receive funding from my tribe (I am part Choctaw) every semester, as I do now.  If I don't get funding, I have decided I will look for a technical writing job.

Check out the Ontario Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs website.  I know they offer funding for students.  I don't know if it is limited to Canadian First Nations students, but it's worth looking into.