Author Topic: Bringing your own food to the restaurant? Really?  (Read 19665 times)

Miss March

Re: Bringing your own food to the restaurant? Really?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 09:43:06 AM »
I suspect that when these teens later went home and complained about this to their respective parents, they probably had it explained to them that this is how it is done in restaurants.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 10:01:50 AM »
The teens should have contacted the restaurant first to confirm they were fine with the cakes being brought. I'm suprised none of their parents suggested this. When they called they would be told of the cutting fee that is to cover labor cost of providing utensils. We've had some restaurants charge a fee and others not.

I don't believe your dad should intervene.

Secret

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 11:10:40 AM »
I suspect that when these teens later went home and complained about this to their respective parents, they probably had it explained to them that this is how it is done in restaurants.

Yep.  i was just coming to say this.  The waiter could have explained it better though.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »
As a teenager, we didn't eat out much - too many people in the family with not enough income.  I got married soon after high school & went to college working in various part time jobs.  Including waiting tables and fast food - so I knew about the various service fees from working there - and WHY there were fees to cover the restaurant's dishes & tables being used by food brought in - as well as why some places would not let you do it at all (to protect themselves from potential lawsuits if the stuff caused food poisoning or other problems). 

Teenagers just don't have the experience or the cognitive abilities (their brains are still developing) to think of any reasons why doing it their way doesn't make sense for a BUSINESS.  After all, they don't think it is such a big deal...so why charge the $? 

Then someone gets sick from home canned jalapeno peppers that were contaminated or the cake got dropped on the floor & someone stepped in it & slipped on the icing....etc.  And the restaurant is the one with insurance for the claim on the broken leg, not the teenagers - who paid cash & left no name & addresses for anyone to get in touch with them about the lawsuit....

I could catastrophize all day (I'm good at it - I could write disaster novels - but I don't WANT to - depressing) - but....lack of experience in what can go wrong leads to not understanding a lot of real life.  Being a parent and seeing what can go wrong leads to being a lot more understanding of why there are all these regulations, service fees, and the like.

And I felt lucky that my family and I weren't eating there at the time that the restaurant used the bad batch of jalapeno peppers....it never reopened.  We did miss their chicken enchiladas - but not enough to court a trip to the ER for food poisoning.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 11:45:37 AM »
I have seen (and done) the outside cake.  Guess what?  You get charged for plates and silverware.  This is no mystery...maybe it is...young teens, who knew??  It's not all free??  ;D

On one hand, I really don't see anything wrong with dad jumping in and explaining things to the teens that the wait staff was loathe to do.  On the other hand, I'm guessing this "schooling" didn't go over well with the teens, and the wait staff was waffling all over the place. 

Was dad rude?  Probably a little.

Were the teens rude?  No for ignorance, yes for belligerence.

Dad butted in.  I can't blame him for trying, but this really wasn't his place to to teach.

Per the bolded: the OP didn't say he corrected the kids. He was only considering it.

Edited to add: This has already been addressed. As you were...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 11:47:10 AM by jaxsue »

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 11:49:21 AM »
I was aware of policies like this early on, but that's because I worked at restaurants as a teenager. I found that a lot of teens weren't aware of a lot of restaurant etiquette (not to say all of them, or that older diners couldn't be equally ignorant). It was just a matter of a higher percentage. Sometimes they were surprised to find that they had to consider taxes/tips when ordering when on a limited budget.

Hopefully, if they went home and complained to their parents they were set straight.

Snooks

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 12:21:05 PM »
To be honest it wouldn't have occurred to me that there was a charge but as an adult it makes perfect sense.  I suspect if your Dad had said anything it would have just made the situation worse because it could have come across as an adult chastising them when they were already upset (and likely a bit embarrassed).

NyaChan

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 12:31:19 PM »

Yep.  i was just coming to say this.  The waiter could have explained it better though.

I'm guessing the parents didn't know of their plan ahead of time then because the better thing to have done would have been to clue them in before they they tried it.

Promise

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 12:36:35 PM »
I attended a Christmas get-together at a local diner with women from my church. We had a private room, but it was not a catered event. We ordered off the menu and each paid their own. However, as we walked in, one of the women had her arms full and asked me to carry in something. I agreed. She handed me me a cheesball with crackers to take in. I felt awkward. Do I offend her and say I'm uncomfortable taking in a plate of food to the restaurant or do I just buck it up and take it in? I took it in. Now granted, the restaurant doesn't offer it on their menu (think diner food, not a nice mid-priced place). But still...

Fleur

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »

I think that the teens were ignorant and gauche, I would not have behaved like that as a teenager. I don't think that their age is an excuse. I don't mean them not knowing about the 'cakeage'. I mean the sulking and pouting.

Bees

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2013, 04:26:58 PM »
I think this is yet another example of the staff not doing its job.IF you noticed the cake carrier just by looking at their table, then the waiter should have seen it.
 He could have tempered the temper tantrum temporarily(hee hee) by letting them know before they were ready to have their dessert, that outside food was not allowed in the restaurant or that there was a fee for serving. The manager should have broken the news.

kitchcat

• Flickr
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 12:57:43 AM »
I think this is yet another example of the staff not doing its job.IF you noticed the cake carrier just by looking at their table, then the waiter should have seen it.
 He could have tempered the temper tantrum temporarily(hee hee) by letting them know before they were ready to have their dessert, that outside food was not allowed in the restaurant or that there was a fee for serving. The manager should have broken the news.

I'm guessing the waiter didn't anticipate they intended to eat the cake at the restaurant. My family initially figured they would be going to the birthday girl's home after to have their cake, seeing how they put the cake carriers on an empty chair in the corner. It would have been easy to miss until they began opening the containers up.
Quote from: magician5
Quote from: Kinseyanne
In the bag was two cans of kitten formula

So now ... just add water and you get kittens? What will they think of next??

katycoo

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 03:21:14 AM »
Yes, bringing cake is quite ok - but usually you would clear it with the resturant on booking.  And yes, there is usually a plating fee.

I think it would have been a kindness for your dad to have explained the fee.  I can seek why they didn't understand.  I always though corkage fees were silly particularly since most wines are screw cap these days.  But you're paying for the use and cleaning of the glasses.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 04:01:25 AM »
You're also paying for not using their wine or desserts.

I think as a teen that I would have thought it odd to bring food into a restaurant at all.

Funny at our wedding, we asked the restaurant if there was cake age charge if they cut and served the cake. They said there wasn't. On the day they didn't cut and served the cake until we asked, they expected us to do that for fifty people. And we never saw it again after that day as the chucked it out.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 08:38:40 AM »

Interestingly, where I live there is generally *not* a fee for bringing a cake, and this is pretty common for birthday celebrations. But typically restaurants with local cuisine don't serve much in the way of dessert, and the bakeries that sell the cakes provide you with paper plates, little forks, candles, and a cake cutter when you buy the cake.