Author Topic: Bringing your own food to the restaurant? Really?  (Read 19456 times)

Allyson

Re: Bringing your own food to the restaurant? Really?
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2014, 12:19:11 AM »

Another story I can think of, I recently went to a pasta bar and explained to the server that I couldn't have a sauce that had raw egg in it and asked for his suggestion. He suggested a particularly sauce but it also had ham in it, which I said I couldn't have either. He then offered to make it without ham and I tipped him.

So substitions are acceptable for you, but not for vegans or Americans?

Wait, when she say Americans couldn't ask for substitutions? I know there was some discussion of how American service tends to be more 'accomodate the customer' than some other countries, but that's just a cultural difference...

I wonder if other countries will start to move more towards the American way or not. With tourism so huge, it's an interesting thought.... I do think there is, or should be, room for restaurants that are "make it to order" and those that are "we do it like it is on the menu, deal with it" but it would be nice if there was some way to indicate this, too.

I mean, isn't the point of "create your own" type places that most places aren't so customizable? Or is that just out of date? :D