Author Topic: Bringing your own food to the restaurant? Really?  (Read 18788 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Bringing your own food to the restaurant? Really?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 09:08:01 AM »
I've been able to do it without a fee as well. That being said,  I make sure to clear it ahead of time and I tip well.

oopsie

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 10:11:03 AM »
So a few questions: would my dad have been out of line to explain the fee to them? Would you ever expect an outside birthday cake to be okay in a restaurant that serves dessert?

I think in this situation, it was probably best that your dad did not say anything to them.

I have brought a cake in to two separate restaurants with dessert on the menu on two separate occasions.  Once for a birthday, once for a bachelorette party. Neither time was there any type of additional fee - in fact one of the restaurants even offered to keep it in their fridge and bring it out for us after our meals. However, I can certainly understand why there could be a charge though.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 12:32:22 PM »
As a teen, it would never have occurred to me that there might be a "cakeage" fee.

This. Calling the waiter rude and mean was out of line, but I can see honest confusion on their part.

I think it was best that he didn't say anything, as it might have come across as scolding.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Girlie

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2013, 01:38:20 PM »
I am intrigued. I have been to restaurants before where individuals brought in their own special occasion cakes, and I've never seen a charge applied. So I can understand why the teens were a bit put-out on it, especially since birthdays and showers usually mean that people relax a little more and spend a little more than normal (at least the people that I know do!).

I understand why the teens questioned it to, especially if they didn't understand it - there's nothing wrong with inquiring as to why you're being charged something. If the teens became belligerent, that would be another story, but it seems as though they eventually decided to just put the cake away and serve it elsewhere.

I understand why a restaurant would have such a policy in place, and I would respect it, but I just don't know that I (personally) agree with it.

amylouky

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2013, 01:39:55 PM »
I've never seen a cakeage fee, either. Of course, we've never brought cakes to truly upscale places, just kid's places ie. House of Mouse, and family restaurants.
I wonder if restaurants would still charge a cakeage fee for cupcakes, that don't require their serving time, plates, and utensils?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2013, 02:43:48 PM »
It's bit just plates and cutlery, by bringing in outside food you're using the table without spending any money.

MrTango

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2013, 02:50:29 PM »
I've never seen a cutting fee for cakes brought into a restaurant, but where I live it is illegal to bring outside food into a restaurant (it's a health code violation and any restaurant that allows it could be fined if they get caught).

I have seen cake-cutting fees and corkage (i.e. for wine bottles) charged by caterers at events like wedding receptions.  If I recall correctly, our caterer charged us $0.25/piece to cut our wedding cake.

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2013, 03:02:13 PM »
I've never seen a cakeage fee, either. Of course, we've never brought cakes to truly upscale places, just kid's places ie. House of Mouse, and family restaurants.
I wonder if restaurants would still charge a cakeage fee for cupcakes, that don't require their serving time, plates, and utensils?

This has been my experience as well.

I know that the place I worked at there was usually a group doing a birthday or a sport's team celebration every Saturday. My boss loved it (especially when they'd warn us beforehand) because its about half a dozen families making good memories at that location, and they'll be back sometime, individually, because of that party. We were not equipped to make cakes, but we'd cheerfully hand out plates and forks if the harried parent's had forgotten them. Of course, this wasn't an upscale restaurant by any means, but I'd think that a wise manager would want the overall experience to be a good one.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2013, 05:11:06 PM »
It's bit just plates and cutlery, by bringing in outside food you're using the table without spending any money.

The guests are still ordering and paying for dinner.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2013, 05:14:29 PM »
But not dessert. The restaurant would probably prefer if you left without dessert so they could use the table for a paying customer.

Mikayla

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2013, 05:18:49 PM »
i don't think it would have been rude to say something - they may not have understood it, they may have thought that *this* restaurant was trying to cheat them. They are ~16, not everyone at that age would *know* that this is rule in most places. Because really, if you think about it in 16 yo logic - what's the big deal? we aren't asking them for anything, we bought *other* food, whey are they making such a big deal?

I agree with this.  Obviously, it's all in the presentation and it should be a friendly fyi rather than a lecture on know it all kids who don't belong in public places blah blah!  But I would have appreciated something like this at age 16.

In fact, I think the waitress failed in not explaining it fully to them.  During my waitress career, I always made sure to explain the reasons behind rules to anyone who didn't get it.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2013, 06:57:53 PM »
But not dessert. The restaurant would probably prefer if you left without dessert so they could use the table for a paying customer.

Not necessarily. People might order coffee or a drink to enjoy with dinner.  The pleasant experience might bring them back the next time they dine out. It could definitely be worth it. It is something that should be checked ahead of time but it is not always disadventageous to the restaurant.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2013, 07:07:02 PM »
I can see where teenagers would get confused by the policy.  You need to take into account that they're young and likely haven't organized a whole lot of birthday dinners at nice restaurants in their lives.  They are "learning their lessons" and likely will figure out to call ahead of time and find out if they can bring food and what the 'fee', if any, will be.
I don't think it would have been ok for your Dad to say anything.  The exchange had nothing to do with him and any explanation he offered would likely come accross as scolding and condescending...even if he didn't mean it that way.  I'm wondering why the waiter couldn't/didn't offer the same explanation?  That would be more appropriate.

I have been to more expensive restaurants than you describe and not had to pay a fee to bring in my own cake.  I wouldn't assume that there's a standard policy out there.

Mom2PBJ

• Thoughts from a Happy Hooker
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2013, 07:11:37 PM »
We've done the cake thing for birthdays and a graduation at a nice restaurant and were never charged a fee.  We also gave our servers cake for doing an outstanding job with our large table, usually between 10 - 16 people.  Plus a nice tip on top of standard for large parties.  Heck we even had homemade banana pudding once because the birthday boy preferred that over cake.  Yes, our servers got that, too.  No, we weren't charged a fee for the dessert plates/bowls.

LilacGirl1983

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2013, 01:41:11 PM »
It varies by local I think. Where I live we can bring our own cake in and not be charged anything. If they don't want cake there they put it on a sign in the restaurant. We usually call and ask if we can bring it but never have been charged a fee. Especially if we are ordering meals as well.