Author Topic: Honking the horn - spin off  (Read 3756 times)

figee

Honking the horn - spin off
« on: December 22, 2013, 06:33:30 PM »
I was reading the thread about the rudeness of people honking their horn to announce their arrival. I was wonder. Ho peopl felt abou people using thei horns to say goodbye?  I do this sometimes to my family or close friends. Usually, we've said goodbye, I've pulled out of the drive and give a couple of quick pops on the horn and wave to them as they are usually waiting outside.  Part of it is probably because mum and dad have a tricky drive, so dad used to like me to honk to let then know I'd backed out successfully.  Twenty years on, we still do it.  But is this rude?  They aren't long blasts, not late at night, but am I being rude?

Raintree

• Super Hero!
Re: Honking the horn - spin off
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 07:06:10 PM »
Occasionally, maybe OK, but in general, it's just extraneous, unnecessary noise and it's not just your parents that hear it, but all their neighbours. I'd avoid doing it.

m2kbug

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 07:08:16 PM »
I think with the other post it sounded like this happened repeatedly and daily by many people and loudly blaring the horn(?) which was more of the problem than just a honk or two here and there.  That's where the biggest annoyance is.  I don't think it's rude to pop the horn a bit.  Don't blare it and maybe avoid it in the middle of the night if you can.  I don't think you're being rude at all.

ETA:  I once had a neighbor who carpooled and every morning, a toot of the horn, small beep.  It was annoying, but overall not a big deal.  If the driver was blaring the horn or at an odd hour it woke me up, I might ask them to stop. 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 07:09:55 PM by m2kbug »

JoW

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 07:36:02 PM »
In my opinion any unnecessary noise is rude, including your goodbye toot.  But I don't live near your friends or family.  It may be acceptable in your area.

One of my neighbors has to be at work at 4am.  Your 9pm toot is near the middle of his sleep time.    About 3 times/year I work a 14-16 hour day.  Your 10am toot will wake me up while I'm trying to recover.   

No, I don't expect perfect silence from all of my neibhbors.  Lawns have to be mowed.  Trees have to be cut down.  Roofs have to be replaced.  Kids have to play.  But car horns are almost never necessary. 

Betelnut

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 07:56:05 PM »
A car horn is not for casual communicating.  Honking without a very good reason is rude.  Saying "good-bye" is not a very good reason.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 08:11:29 PM »
Only cool if they live out in the country, away from other people.  Horns are annoying and should only be honked for traffic reasons.

http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

poundcake

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 08:15:37 PM »
Both rude and a huge peeve. I've lived near apartment buildings where, from 5am on, morning carpools would show up and honk for people. No way to sleep through that.

Horns are for emergencies. If you want to say goodbye, wave. If you want to let someone know you're there to pick them up, text.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 09:33:53 PM »
Just......no! The horn is for emergencies only.

My friend once said that she was all upset the her horn didn't work. I was thinking "how do you know?" She honks when she picks people up - I always go to the door if they are not ready. Really lost a lot of respect for that friend; she became an acquaintance at that point. I guess that is a hill to die on for me.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 09:46:04 PM »
I think it's the daily repetitive that gets old.

Years ago our next door neighbor did school swimming and her morning ride honked at 5:45 every morning. Yep, that got very old. Was extremely happy at her highschool graduation.

Our across the street neighbor has a brother who lives in our neighborhood too. Every afternoon his passes our home and does a "boooonk ba boooonk" around 5:30. This doesn't bother me as bad but I'd wonder if we had a neighbor who worked off hours.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 10:16:58 PM »
I think with the other post it sounded like this happened repeatedly and daily by many people and loudly blaring the horn(?) which was more of the problem than just a honk or two here and there. 

But one person's honk or two here and there, combined with everyone else's, adds up to a lot of unnecessary noise. The OP may visit her parents once in a while and toot her horn as she leaves. Perhaps the other visitors do this too. And the morning carpoolers across the street. And the people next door's visitors. Even the starting of the engine and backing out could cause some noise for the next door neighbours, which is all part of living in close quarters, but that final toot is totally unnecessary. Say goodbye verbally at the door, and wave as you drive away if they are still watching.

Bluenomi

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 11:33:08 PM »
On the odd occasion during the day, fine. Leaving late at night or early in the morning, no way.

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 01:49:03 AM »
My vote is that it's rude because it's an unnecessary noise (loud & abrupt) for everyone who can hear it.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 02:08:02 AM »
Unless you live far enough away that your neighbours won't hear, I'm going with rude. Honking the horn if there's some sort of danger is fine but otherwise? Waving achieves the same result (says goodbye folks) without disturbing the whole neighbourhood. This would get on my nerves if the honker was a frequent visitor.

I live across the road from a small suburban shopping centre (a chemist, doctors' office, newsagent, grocer's, bakery and hairdresser's). It's smack in the middle of a residential area - several townhouses, units and single dwellings. I've noticed a lot of people seem to think standing on the horn is the best way to hurry up their other half (or whichever passenger is shopping). It always seems rude to me, although perhaps inconsiderate is a more accurate description.

katycoo

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 03:00:32 AM »
Huh.  I'm going to have to do some polling in my circle but AFAIK honking for I'm Here or Goodbye is quite normal and not considered rude at all.  Laying on the horn for several second OTOH, is quite rude.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 03:05:27 AM »
A car horn is not for casual communicating.  Honking without a very good reason is rude.  Saying "good-bye" is not a very good reason.
agree with this. the honk should be used in emergencies only. a quick light tap to alert a driver when the light turns green and they are not paying attention is ok because it is keeping the traffic flowing. but using the horn as a hello/goodbye/i'm here/etc mode of communications? just not.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools