Author Topic: Honking the horn - spin off  (Read 4113 times)

TiredMum

Re: Honking the horn - spin off
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 03:19:54 AM »
Don't do it. 

I had no idea how dreadful honking a car horn was until I had a baby and was sleep dreprived, it's been over a decade but just the concept is giving me flashbacks.

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 04:52:34 AM »
where I live honking your horn to say goodbye is acceptable.

It doesnt bother me at all

sarahj21

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 05:40:21 AM »
In Australia it is illegal to use your horn for non-traffic reasons. My neighbours used to have guests that would honk their horn like 5 times as they arrived/left, which was 2-3 times per week. One time, I was outside getting into my car as they were honking. So I honked them the same number of times. Never heard a peep out of the neighbours' guests again. Housing in Melbourne can be quite dense - I'm sure over 100 people could hear that horn each time. I am not one to do illegal things but I hope everyone has enjoyed the quiet in the past 5+ years.

So, OP, perhaps you could honk your horn if you do get into trouble in the driveway, rather than signalling a safe exit? That would be an appropriate use of the horn IMHO.

veryfluffy

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 05:51:07 AM »
In the UK, not only is it rude, it is also an offence subject to a 50 fixed penalty.

Sounding your horn while stationary is illegal, unless to warn a moving vehicle of danger. In fact, you can't use your horn on a residential street from 11.30pm till 7am in any circumstances.

Betelnut

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 09:36:31 AM »
In the UK, not only is it rude, it is also an offence subject to a 50 fixed penalty.

Sounding your horn while stationary is illegal, unless to warn a moving vehicle of danger. In fact, you can't use your horn on a residential street from 11.30pm till 7am in any circumstances.

What do you do if someone is backing up into you or doing something that is a legitimate reason to honk? 
Native Texan, Marylander currently

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 12:54:30 PM »
In our condo complex having a honking visitor (other than migratory geese) can result in being fined.

A horn is for emergency communication -- that's in the motor vehicle code in many, many places. It's not for "hi" or "I'm ready" or "bye-bye." I absolutely hate people who use it for those purposes.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

White Lotus

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 01:53:24 PM »
Nobody around here honks to signal arrival any more.  They call if the person is not waiting outside already.  Honking to say goodbye, not in the city.  A single honk to say "please move your car" is considered OK -- if you don't have a phone number.  I think the idea is that many people will look, and get on the person who blocked someone in without leaving their cell number on the windshield (under the wiper blade).  Nobody shows?  Next call is the tow truck.
Please, try to avoid the honking unless nobody but the people it is directed at can hear it.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 02:15:37 PM »
Huh.  I'm going to have to do some polling in my circle but AFAIK honking for I'm Here or Goodbye is quite normal and not considered rude at all.  Laying on the horn for several second OTOH, is quite rude.

This is really normal in my family and among my neighbours as well.  It's a very short, very quiet honk that has never bothered me when I've heard it (and I'm someone who hates unnecessary noise), and I haven't heard anyone else complain. 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 02:18:09 PM »
Nobody around here honks to signal arrival any more.  They call if the person is not waiting outside already.  Honking to say goodbye, not in the city.  A single honk to say "please move your car" is considered OK -- if you don't have a phone number.  I think the idea is that many people will look, and get on the person who blocked someone in without leaving their cell number on the windshield (under the wiper blade).  Nobody shows?  Next call is the tow truck.
Please, try to avoid the honking unless nobody but the people it is directed at can hear it.

I can't POD this enough.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 02:19:14 PM »
Huh.  I'm going to have to do some polling in my circle but AFAIK honking for I'm Here or Goodbye is quite normal and not considered rude at all.  Laying on the horn for several second OTOH, is quite rude.

This is really normal in my family and among my neighbours as well.  It's a very short, very quiet honk that has never bothered me when I've heard it (and I'm someone who hates unnecessary noise), and I haven't heard anyone else complain.

In my n'hood it wouldn't be appreciated. You can hear a lot of honking on the nearby highways (which gets annoying), but if you did it in my n'hood people would be none too pleased.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 02:20:26 PM »
... and I haven't heard anyone else complain.

"Lack of evidence is not the same as evidence of lack."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2013, 06:03:12 PM »
I was just sharing my experiences, as the other posters had, not saying that anyone should start honking who doesn't.  No need to pick on me.

figee

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 06:24:49 PM »
I think a lot of this might depend on where people live.  For example, mum and dad live in suburbia with no through traffic, no shift workers (trust me) and no young families.  All the houses are set back about 30 metres from the road.  So I've never had a problem with others doing it, and we do it ourselves.  But I was curious.  Rude in some contexts, not in others?

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 06:47:32 PM »
I think a lot of this might depend on where people live.  For example, mum and dad live in suburbia with no through traffic, no shift workers (trust me) and no young families.  All the houses are set back about 30 metres from the road.  So I've never had a problem with others doing it, and we do it ourselves.  But I was curious.  Rude in some contexts, not in others?

Definitely, in my estimation. I don't see how it could possibly be rude in a rural area when you're the only people around for miles.

I'm also of the opinion that a quick little honk would not even really register with me in my area, which is semi-rural. Its just a background noise around here, and one of the less obtrusive ones at that.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 07:12:56 PM »

How do you have a "very quiet" honk?

My car horn makes the same volume of noise no matter how hard or soft I push on it.

And just because people aren't complaining doesn't mean they don't mind.

I don't think it's polite--it's the equivalent of shouting from the street.

And to say goodbye? Didn't you just say goodbye at the door? How long is the goodbye-ing going to go on?

In the case of the long hard-to-back-out-of driveway, I would think it would be more sensible to simply assume you could get out safely, and that if you *didn't*, you'd honk. I.e., "honk is for danger or trouble," not "honk is for secret codes."