Author Topic: Honking the horn - spin off  (Read 4102 times)

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
Re: Honking the horn - spin off
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2013, 08:42:37 PM »
Toots, I've already mentioned that I was just sharing my experience and I don't think it's helpful to argue back and forth, because the only knowledge I have to share is that it's normal where I live, and most people seem to do it and don't mind.  I'm not sure why everyone is signalling out my particular post, when others have shared this same experience?  Again, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.  I'm just sharing my own response to the OP's question about whether or not this might differ between social groups or neighbourhoods.

I'm happy to answer the factual question about what a quiet honk is, though.  The "quiet" honk is like when someone uses their remote car locks and the car honks in response to say it's locked  It makes a "boop" sound and isn't anything like a regular honk.  So a goodbye honk is "boop boop!" and wouldn't really be noticed unless you were listening for it.  I am not very good at describing sounds but I hope that helps  ;D

sweetonsno

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 09:19:05 PM »
I think it's rude. Not only is it creating unnecessary noise that can be heard by many, it is also a bit alarming to hear when you are driving in the vicinity, even to the point of being dangerous. If I hear a horn honk nearby when I am driving, I assume that someone is warning me (or other drivers) of a danger. Is there a car ahead changing lanes without signaling? Is someone in my blind spot? Have I missed someone backing up? Is someone driving by as I'm trying to exit my car? Did someone lose their muffler or trailer? (Seen it happen. Scary on the freeway.) If someone reacts to a horn honk by slowing down or stopping rapidly, it can create a problem for the people behind them or anyone who is trying to merge into their lane.

Now, of course, if nobody else can hear it (because your closest neighbor is a quarter of a mile away and your horn does have a "quiet honk"), there's no rudeness unless you get into the habit and "boop" (love that onomatopoeia) in a more densely-populated area. But if your message reaches others, you're rude. I think it's somewhat analogous to playing games or watching a movie on your gizmo with the sound on. If you are all alone, you're in the clear. If others are within earshot, time to put on the headphones or hit mute. The fact that others don't complain doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't bothering them, so I'd err on the side of making less noise.

Jones

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2013, 09:44:13 PM »
As someone who has been quite startled while both running/jogging, and cycling, and dog walking...I would actually prefer that no cars have any horns at all. Inevitably I trip over myself looking for the impending doom that I am surely being warned about. However, barring that, as I'm sure cars will continue having horns, I would prefer they only be used as a warning or to signal a need for help.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2013, 12:07:53 PM »
I just heard someone hit their horn 3 times to alert a neighbor they were there to pick them up. They may have thought they were short, quiet honks, but they weren't. Honestly, because doing that in my n'hood isn't common, my first thought was that someone had a close call, so hit their horn. Nope. They were just announcing their arrival. It was jarring, and honestly, rude IMO. The person they were picking up has a driveway that goes right to the door (and the front door's about 25 feet from the street). And, the person they were picking up was already outside, waiting!

It may be common in some n'hoods, and it's okay if you don't have close neighbors you're disturbing, but if it's not the norm in your neighborhood it's just not polite. I have never had a visitor honk to say "I'm here," or "goodbye," and if I did I'd tell them politely that it isn't the norm where I live.

Possum

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »
Tell your parents that you are replacing the horn toot with the sound of no cars crashing into anything.  As long as that's what they hear, you've backed out safely.

Horns are to communicate with other drivers (and occasionally careless or endangered pedestrians).  Not with people in houses!  (Unless you're about to crash into the house, but that's a whole other etiquette issue.)

Margo

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2013, 06:09:48 PM »
I think it's rude.
Even in a neighborhood with no shift workers, it's still an intrusive an unnecessary noise, and, as PPs have said, can be worrying if you are a driver, cyclist or pedestrian and have to work out if it is a genuine warning of danger or not.

I think it is worse at times such as early morning or late at night, when it tends to be quieter, and when people are more likely to be sleeping, but it's better avoided at any time.

I think the only time it would be acceptable would be if you lived somewhere so isolated that it really would be impossible for anyone else to hear it.

Phoebe

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2013, 08:18:17 PM »
When close friends or family are leaving my home (and I theirs), instead of the honk we flip the interior light on and off quickly a couple of times as a "see you later" gesture.  My entire extended family has done this for as long as I can remember.

Blondie

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2013, 01:29:43 PM »
Oooooh I hate this! My mother has my whole family doing this- Honk three times for goodbye- it says you will be back soon! I refuse to participate and chastise drivers who do. I have been called a stick in the mud for it, but I have also seen neighbors peek out windows to see what is going on. Yes, they are light horn taps, but if it is loud enough to be heard from the street to the house, it is loud enough to be heard by the house across the street as well.
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." Douglas Adams

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2013, 02:18:04 PM »
I thought of this thread today when the garbage-man drove by and honked and waved as we were walking out of our door. My kids loved it, though it startled them too much to wave back in time. So I definitely think that this varies with where you live.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2013, 02:22:05 PM »
In my family, it's SOP procedure because my mom never warned us when she would arrive, in a one acre or more neighborhood.  And even as an adult, some cabs call, some honk on arrival.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2013, 03:26:13 PM »
Is it honestly too much for some people to get out of the car and knock on the door? I hate it when people honk, I live in apartments and people have no idea how annoying it is.

What is also annoying is talking in loud voices under my bedroom window early in the morning, but that's another story.