Author Topic: Is there a polite way to express disbelief? (first example)  (Read 3170 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Is there a polite way to express disbelief? (first example)
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 08:51:07 AM »
Based on the facts in the OP, I'd be inclined to leave the matter alone ... unless:

--  The fibs injure another person's reputation, or hurt others in any way, or

--  The story is hateful (e.g., bigoted) in some way, or

--  The storyteller's always been known for scrupulous honesty and attention to detail, in which case I may be concerned about the person's well-being.

As for what I'd do about any of the above, well, I must cop out with, "It depends."

Agreed. I'd let it go in this instance with a mental note that Adam might like to tell the odd tall tale.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Is there a polite way to express disbelief? (first example)
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 07:40:32 AM »
In Adam's case, I wouldn't say anything.  His story is just a story.  It does no harm to anyone. 

Of course, children should not be encouraged to lie.  They should however, be taught how to take some stories with a bit of healthy doubt.

I would express disbelief if a statement was bigoted or patently untrue.  I would also speak up if a statement was potentially dangerous in other ways.  For example, we did express disbelief when a relative announced that she could get all the protein she needs by eating a head of iceberg lettuce a day.