General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Is there a polite way to express disbelief? (second example)

(1/5) > >>

snappylt:
A few minutes ago I asked in the Life in General section about whether there is a polite way to express disbelief when one hears a hard-to-believe story in person.  Here is my second example that got me thinking about this:

Recently I was reading a very detailed online post somewhere on the Internet about someone who had behaved very rudely - and about the quite satisfying turn of events that ended up teaching the rude person a badly-needed lesson. 

I enjoyed reading the post and the replies.  It looked like the rude person sort of "got what he/she deserved", in a way, so that's why I described it as "satisfying".  (I'm being vague here because I don't want anyone to know which post I am doubting.)

But a minute later, as I thought it over, I started wondering if the whole story really happened.  I can't put my finger on it, but I just started wondering.  (No, I don't suspect every story I read, and I can't explain why I wonder about this one but not others.)

So, here is my question:  I suppose that there is no polite, non-confrontational, non-trouble-starting way to say that a story is hard to believe... is there?

Betelnut:
Not sure if that is possible.  But maybe, "Interesting, if true"?

TurtleDove:
Like in the other thread, it depends what your goal is.  Do you want to know for yourself whether it is true?  Do you want to expose someone publicly as a liar?

shhh its me:

--- Quote from: Betelnut on December 23, 2013, 11:27:16 AM ---Not sure if that is possible.  But maybe, "Interesting, if true"?

--- End quote ---

I think that's an outright accusation and requires much more then just serendipity to justify it.

I'm not certain this is what posters mean but when I see someone say " Wow, that wouldn't have worked out more perfectly in a work of fiction" or something similar I think that person may suspect fiction.

LadyL:
This has come up on this forum, and the mods have said that it is fine to ask for clarification on details of a story that don't add up (like timelines) but it's rude to badger the OP or outright imply that they are lying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version