Author Topic: Cards... and checks as gifts  (Read 1935 times)

Kaesha

Cards... and checks as gifts
« on: December 23, 2013, 08:55:17 PM »
I was going to post this in Holidays, but it could apply to weddings and birthdays as well, so...

If you receive a card before the actual holiday, do you open it then, or wait for the actual holiday?

If it contains a check, do you cash it before the holiday, or wait until later?

Personally, I open the card right away!  Seasons greetings aren't just for one day, after all!  And it's not a formal exchange of cards, just me.  But if I receive a check, I think it is really rude to cash it before the holiday it was intended as a gift for.  It just seems... ungrateful somehow?

What do you guys think?
Living in Colorado but missing Oregon...
When the butterfly emerges, does the caterpillar cease to exist?

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
Re: Cards... and checks as gifts
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 09:03:21 PM »
I wouldn't worry about cashing it before the holiday. People usually like to have their ducks in a row, so to speak, and wouldn't mind having their money safely in another bank account rather than floating around on paper. I have several relatives who are a bit uneasy until the check is taken care of.

That being said, I am sometimes in a mood to not open my cards until the actual holiday, I don't think its rude of me not to, but I definitely don't see anyone seeing me as ungrateful for depositing a gift.  :)

Kaesha

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:06:45 PM »
Hmm... that's true.  But I did get the check in the mail today (the 23rd) and will cash it on Friday or Monday.  Never thought about that aspect!

veronaz

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 09:07:57 PM »
OP, how would depositing a check received as a gift be seen as ungrateful?  ???

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 09:08:20 PM »
I usually wait until the holiday, but my answer might change if it was sent *way* in advance.  If it was 2-3 weeks or more early and I suspected a check, I might open and cash it so that it wouldn't mess up their accounting.  I usually aim to write a thank-you card before cashing, so that their first communication about it is the thank-you note and not the notification that the check was cashed.

Betelnut

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 09:10:02 PM »
I got a honking big check from my Mom about two weeks ago.  It is essentially already spent.  If she didn't want me to deposit it, she could have "wrapped" in a package (which I wouldn't open until Christmas morning) or sent it to me today  (the 23rd).  I basically did what she wanted which was to open her Christmas card, see this big check, and deposit it.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Kaesha

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 09:15:45 PM »

I'm not really sure.  That's why I posted... kinda to sort out why that might be.   :-[

m2kbug

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 09:23:47 PM »
I open cards immediately and cash checks right away so that the person isn't waiting on a check to clear.  I don't usually wait for packages either unless for some reason it's necessary to wait and open it at the family gathering. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 09:29:57 PM »

I'm not really sure.  That's why I posted... kinda to sort out why that might be.   :-[

I might come across as grasping and greedy, that you couldn't/wouldn't wait to turn it into cash. As if the gain to you is all that matters.

But honestly, I don't think it matters. And I think not that many people would really notice it, unless they sent it -really- early. In which case, why did they do that, if they're going to be miffed you cash it so soon?

Unless the person is there (bcs opening the gift in front of the giver is important to me), I wait with wrapped presents. Because I love anticipation.

m2kbug

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 09:38:22 PM »
I suppose cashing the check early could be a problem if the person giving the check is a little uptight about you waiting for Christmas to open your gift, and if you want to avoid upsetting them, you wait until after Christmas.  Otherwise, I don't think it's an issue to cash early, and IMO, the sooner the better, since keeping a check floating around for two or three weeks isn't that polite for the person waiting for it to clear their account and their bookkeeping.

---

• Here and There
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 10:29:57 PM »
Unless I'm told to wait until after Christmas, I usually cash it at the next moment I'm heading in the direction of my bank. Which is almost always because the bank is close enough to work that I can jump right over there afterwards if it's early enough. I don't get checks that often, twice a year from the parents (although this year I didn't get anything from them since I've ticked them off, but it's their fault for being mad).

No one has ever gotten upset over a check being cashed or deposited early. They are similar to me: I much rather have it done NOW rather then LATER.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 05:42:20 AM »
Unless I'm told to wait until after Christmas, I usually cash it at the next moment I'm heading in the direction of my bank. Which is almost always because the bank is close enough to work that I can jump right over there afterwards if it's early enough. I don't get checks that often, twice a year from the parents (although this year I didn't get anything from them since I've ticked them off, but it's their fault for being mad).

No one has ever gotten upset over a check being cashed or deposited early. They are similar to me: I much rather have it done NOW rather then LATER.

I agree with you. And it's one of my failings. I seem to never go to the bank so checks sit in my purse for way too long. Thankfully I never receive them as gifts, but usually reimbursement for something, so I'm at least not looking ungrateful for the gift.

daen

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 09:32:57 AM »
My experience has always been that if the giver wants me to wait for a certain date - my birthday, say - to deposit a cheque, the giver will postdate the cheque to that date. So my birthday cheque is dated for my birthday, not the day two weeks earlier when it was written, and I'll just wait to deposit it.

If it's not postdated, though, it's probably courteous to deposit it as soon as possible, both to keep his/her bookkeeping as uncomplicated as possible, and to avoid the possibility of misplacing it for extended periods of time. (Yes, I've done that. More than once.)

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 09:55:47 AM »
I open cards right away, and I'd probably cash a check pretty soon too. I go to the bank once a week so I'd probably take it with me then. I'd also want to make sure they weren't waiting around for the check to go through (I hate waiting for checks to go through so I assume everyone else does too). Though if I get a check in the mail today, they're just going to have to wait until Monday for me to take it to the bank. That's mostly because I don't plan on changing out of my PJs today though  ;).

If I mailed someone a check for the holidays (or whatever) and they cashed it before the actual event I wouldn't think much of it. Just "Oh good, Jane got her check" and then onward with life.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 10:04:25 AM »
We open cards as we receive them. If a card contains a check we write a TY and cash the check.  At the least, it cuts down on the number of TYs to write later.   :)

We also have relatives who send us gifts of food.  If we suspect that the gifts include items like sausage or cheese, we let them know the gift arrived, write a TY and remove the food to the freezer or fridge. 

This year, we received a gift of wine from the Jewish branch of the family around Hannukah. Again, the TY note goes out when the gift is received but the wine will stay under the tree until Christmas.

Other family members do similar things.  It seems to work well for everyone.