Author Topic: Cards... and checks as gifts  (Read 1947 times)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: Cards... and checks as gifts
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 10:43:23 AM »
I definitely open Christmas cards right away. Most of them are just regular greetings, after all, and I have them displayed the whole season. If they happen to contain a check, then I'd deposit it whenever I next got to my bank, whether that's the next day or the next week. I wouldn't think about delaying it.

magicdomino

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 10:55:21 AM »
Open now (most of my cards are empty anyway); cash when convenient. 

Snooks

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 11:42:44 AM »
My experience has always been that if the giver wants me to wait for a certain date - my birthday, say - to deposit a cheque, the giver will postdate the cheque to that date. So my birthday cheque is dated for my birthday, not the day two weeks earlier when it was written, and I'll just wait to deposit it.

If it's not postdated, though, it's probably courteous to deposit it as soon as possible, both to keep his/her bookkeeping as uncomplicated as possible, and to avoid the possibility of misplacing it for extended periods of time. (Yes, I've done that. More than once.)

This is what I do.  My thank you notes generally go out on the same day I cash the check as the bank's next to the post office.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 12:11:01 PM »
My 22-yr-old son lives several states away. Along with regular Christmas gifts, I send him a check in the holiday card; I know he'll open the card right away. I totally expect him to cash the check as soon as it's convenient.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 12:27:05 PM »
I don't think its wrong to open a card on the day of (excluding maybe  weddings since the card may include the RSVP) I also think its reasonable to open cards as received and cash the check on receipt.